• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portillo is back with his jackets! (Great British Railway Journeys Series 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
It started today, hidden away in the New Year's Day schedule! Daily at 6:30PM apart from weekends of course!

Michael has of course been to the tailors for some new jackets to upset your television set ;)

Series 9 - Episode 1 Cromer to Cambridge

New series. Michael Portillo embarks on train journeys through Edwardian Britain, exploring the grand estates of Norfolk and a bivouac on Brownsea Island on the way. He also learns the ropes aboard an Edwardian wherry on the Norfolk Broads.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Matt_pool

Thanks for that. Didn't know about the new series.

Just found it on BBC iPlayer. ;)

P.S. I enjoyed the Julie Walters series "Coastal Railways" that was on recently.

Requeststop

I'll be looking out for this series on line. Thanks for the heads up. I bet he's not as good fun as Walters and doesn't take up her suggestions such as flying down a 100mph zip-wire in North Wales. He'd get stuck a al BoJo most probably. Better stick to trying to make a Cornish Pasty Mike.

mpthomson

I'll be looking out for this series on line. Thanks for the heads up. I bet he's not as good fun as Walters and doesn't take up her suggestions such as flying down a 100mph zip-wire in North Wales. He'd get stuck a al BoJo most probably. Better stick to trying to make a Cornish Pasty Mike.

They're completely different programmes with different target audiences. MP's is much more social history related while the JW programme was much more about her trundling round the countryside with no particular aim. Both decent enough in their own way.

lejog

Established Member

Surely "Mike" went on a zip-wire in the Catskills on the way from New York to Niagara. And here he is 2000ft up on the Infinity Bridge at Honister.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I wonder how many times he’ll don an apron and help prepare some kind of local pasty/drink/pastry/sausage/fudge etc before declaring “mmm. Delicious!” To the camera?
He can’t really have liked every single thing he’s ever tasted in the whole 9 series can he?
I’d love it if he turned to the camera just once and said “This is absolute pigs muck. How an earth can they eat it!?” Before spitting it into the bin and walking out in disgust. :lol:

David57

Started watching 'all the stations' yesterday on You Tube.
The way it is filmed suggests it was made for TV adaption.

misterredmist

IIRC MP went down a 'zip wire' from the Holmenkollen in Oslo on one of his European escapades.......?

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Slightly updated music and graphics but as usual too much of Michael "Having a go" at something, be it sampling some food, performing on stage or learning an old country craft. I know the show's not really aimed at rail enthusiasts but I can't help feeling that more railway history and less "having a go" would make for a more satisfying watch. Obviously a mainstream audience isn't particularly interested in rolling stock or motive power but I'd like to see a bit of archive footage of the lines featured and maybe a look at some of the former branches along the way that have closed since Bradshaw's day.

Hughby

It started today, hidden away in the New Year's Day schedule! Daily at 6:30PM apart from weekends of course!

If you're setting a series record then note the 'Daily' I've highlighted in the OP (i.e. episode 2 is today at 6:30pm, not next Monday as had I automatically assumed).

Crossover

Established Member
Regarding the suits, some family, on pausing the intro on the bit where he has the red pixellated jacket on, thought it was pixellated because it was paused....nope, it is just pixellated!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I wonder how many times he’ll don an apron and help prepare some kind of local pasty/drink/pastry/sausage/fudge etc before declaring “mmm. Delicious!” To the camera?
He can’t really have liked every single thing he’s ever tasted in the whole 9 series can he?
I’d love it if he turned to the camera just once and said “This is absolute pigs muck. How an earth can they eat it!?” Before spitting it into the bin and walking out in disgust. :lol:

It looked like he didn't like that drink served to him on Monday's episode after the shotgun activity

---

A new opening title clip as well

David57

Not being shown in the order billed, and can't find episode one!
Nope, it's me, Radio Times didn't have it listed for New Years Day!
Found it now!

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
Regarding the suits, some family, on pausing the intro on the bit where he has the red pixellated jacket on, thought it was pixellated because it was paused....nope, it is just pixellated!

Some of his jackets look like failed rail upholstery designs, - that's what I thought when I saw the pixellated one!

AM9

Veteran Member
Slightly updated music and graphics but as usual too much of Michael "Having a go" at something, be it sampling some food, performing on stage or learning an old country craft. I know the show's not really aimed at rail enthusiasts but I can't help feeling that more railway history and less "having a go" would make for a more satisfying watch. Obviously a mainstream audience isn't particularly interested in rolling stock or motive power but I'd like to see a bit of archive footage of the lines featured and maybe a look at some of the former branches along the way that have closed since Bradshaw's day.

I agree. When he mentioned that Claud Hamilton opened Cromer Pier, I thought that there was an opening for a minute or so on the special GER services from Liverpool St direct to Cromer, some hauled by 'Claud Hamilton' class 4-4-0s. The Norfolk Coast Express was launched in 1907 specifically for the newly developed seaside resort of Cromer. There area a few pictures around of the 'Clauds' resplendent in Royal Blue with polished brass fittings, - a truly beautiful locomotive.

Requeststop

I agree. When he mentioned that Claud Hamilton opened Cromer Pier, I thought that there was an opening for a minute or so on the special GER services from Liverpool St direct to Cromer, some hauled by 'Claud Hamilton' class 4-4-0s. The Norfolk Coast Express was launched in 1907 specifically for the newly developed seaside resort of Cromer. There area a few pictures around of the 'Clauds' resplendent in Royal Blue with polished brass fittings, - a truly beautiful locomotive.
I've not been able to watch the broadcast programmes out here as yet. Maybe tomorrow. Now I can also agree. Less of MP trying out things unsuccessfully, and maybe a bit more on the history of the lines, stations etc along with local social history. The "Claudes" sound wonderful.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

I've not been able to watch the broadcast programmes out here as yet. Maybe tomorrow. Now I can also agree. Less of MP trying out things unsuccessfully, and maybe a bit more on the history of the lines, stations etc along with local social history. The "Claudes" sound wonderful.

interest to real people in spottery wibble? About Zero. The format seems to work well enough to have 9 (?) UK series commissioned along with several foreign ones. That suggests the TV people know what they are doing!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How is the history of the lines got anything to do with "spottery wibble"? Are you using "spottery wibble" as some sort of insulting term, likening an interest in railway history to train spotting?

I understand you view "spottery" people as not "real people" so I am wondering if you are actually using this as an insulting term, and not simply describing the act of train spotting (which has nothing to do with this topic, or anything anyone on this thread has posted!)

AM9

Veteran Member
interest to real people in spottery wibble? About Zero. The format seems to work well enough to have 9 (?) UK series commissioned along with several foreign ones. That suggests the TV people know what they are doing!

I agree that TV is overwhelmingly supported by and presented as viewing for the majority who only see railways as a mode of transport, (unlike some here). Accordingly, I did say: "I thought that there was an opening for a minute or so ..." which is hardly a sell-out to 'spottery wibble'. It would be entirely relevant as the line was built to exploit the burgeoning leisure trade of the North Norfolk Coast, hence Portillo's words:"Officiating at the opening ceremony was Lord Claud Hamilton, chairman of the Great Eastern Railway - a sure sign of how important trains had become to the town's tourist business ...".

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I agree that TV is overwhelmingly supported by and presented as viewing for the majority who only see railways as a mode of transport, (unlike some here). Accordingly, I did say: "I thought that there was an opening for a minute or so ..." which is hardly a sell-out to 'spottery wibble'. It would be entirely relevant as the line was built to exploit the burgeoning leisure trade of the North Norfolk Coast, hence Portillo's words:"Officiating at the opening ceremony was Lord Claud Hamilton, chairman of the Great Eastern Railway - a sure sign of how important trains had become to the town's tourist business ...".

it may well have been recorded but cut by the editors. Lots seems to be. I saw Portillo filming at my local station and they filmed a good 10 minutes of talking and hopping on and off the train and about 10 seconds made the final broadcast!

theblackwatch

Established Member
it may well have been recorded but cut by the editors. Lots seems to be. I saw Portillo filming at my local station and they filmed a good 10 minutes of talking and hopping on and off the train and about 10 seconds made the final broadcast!

I think this is pretty normal for most programmes, rather than being specific to Great Railway Journeys. Back in the 1990s, I went down to be interviewed at Euston station for a TV documentary on 'charter minutes'. We did the take around three times (when they were finally satisfied with it), but it wasn't used at all. Still, I got a day out in London at the BBC's expense!

Going back to the series to keep this thread on-topic, I've just watched Episode 1 of the new series. Having previously read Cowley's post at #6 in this thread, I was quite amused when he described the sausage roll he tired during the shooting as "delicious". The programme also showed how things have progressed/changed since the early 1900s - I was unaware that males and females had to bathe separately on beaches until then. I wonder how the councillor who objected to the shared bathing would get on dealing with a private adult members club's planning application! :lol:

AM9

Veteran Member
I think this is pretty normal for most programmes, rather than being specific to Great Railway Journeys. Back in the 1990s, I went down to be interviewed at Euston station for a TV documentary on 'charter minutes'. We did the take around three times (when they were finally satisfied with it), but it wasn't used at all. Still, I got a day out in London at the BBC's expense!

Going back to the series to keep this thread on-topic, I've just watched Episode 1 of the new series. Having previously read Cowley's post at #6 in this thread, I was quite amused when he described the sausage roll he tired during the shooting as "delicious". The programme also showed how things have progressed/changed since the early 1900s - I was unaware that males and females had to bathe separately on beaches until then. I wonder how the councillor who objected to the shared bathing would get on dealing with a private adult members club's planning application! :lol:

If they could be reasonably sure that they wouldn't be exposed for approving it then it would go through. The victorian/edwardian ruling class were fond of presenting a puritan image to the masses, yet many of their private lives were full of immoral practices, some of which might still be held as manifestly unacceptable today.

Groningen

Established Member
One could ask in what is Portillo better. As a politician or as a railwayguide! Micheal Palin should do something, but is already at a certain age.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One could ask in what is Portillo better. As a politician or as a railwayguide! Micheal Palin should do something, but is already at a certain age.
I should imagine that Michael Palin spent so much time travelling around (and probably also saying mmm delicious! at garlic sausages/samosas etc) whilst being filmed in the 90s that he’s probably relieved just to stay still these days.

aylesbury

Portillo offers a different take on rail its all about the journey and interesting unusual people and places he goes through and as has been said nine series its working. He is a very approachable person and is intelligent in his comments on life etc and he is a breath of fresh air in the rancid world of TV

Last edited by a moderator:

DelW

Established Member
I missed the start of the series on Monday, but before Tuesday's episode the continuity announcer said that it wouldn't be "the advertised episode". Since the week's episodes are a series, presumably this week's journey has been switched with another week's. What was the "advertised" journey for this week, and does anyone know why the running order changed? Once it has all been printed in the listings magazines, I assume it would need a good reason to make a change.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Portillo offers a different take on rail its all about the journey and interesting unusual people and places he goes through and as has been said nine series its working.He is a very approachable person and is intelligent in his comments on life etc and he is a breath of fresh air in the rancid world of tv.

I agree - it's the format not the presenter that's the problem. In addition to my comments earlier in the thread about the "having a go" sections, I think the journeys are too long and tend to gloss over interesting stops along the way. You could easily get five half hour programmes out of, for example, a journey from Cromer to Ipswich via Norwich and Lowestoft rather than extending it all the way to the Isle of Wight. And why does virtually every week-long journey Michael takes have to pass through dreary old London?

Status
Not open for further replies.