• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portugal Advice Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lrd

Established Member
Hello all,

I am off to Portugal tomorrow and am there for a week. I am staying in Monte Gordo down in the South and was looking at the possibility of going up to Lisbon for the day/a few hours. I have found an itinerary that looks ok, but was wondering if anyone could check to make sure it seems ok or if they have any other suggestions.

Code:
Monday 06 August
0723 Monte Gordo - Faro 0827 Regional Train #5704
0947 Faro - Lisboa Oriente 1310 Intercidades Train #670

1824 Lisboa Oriente - Faro 2124 Alfa-pendular Train #186
2200 Faro - Monte Gordo 2301 Regional Train #5729
I read on another website that Monte Gordo has no TVM/Ticket office (or any facilities) and you need to buy a ticket on the train, do the guards speak English? As my Portuguese is non-existent! And are there return fares available? As all I have seen are one way tickets.

Many thanks.
P.S. If you have any other tips for while I'm there then I am all ears!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rf_ioliver

Lots to do in Lisbon - one of my favourite cities.

Admire the architecture of the Orientate station and then walk via the giant shopping centre to the Expo park, now called Parque das Nações. There's a cable car from the aquarium to the Vasco de Gamma tower with fantastic views of Lisbon and the 18km Vasco de Gamma bridge.

Take the red metro line and admire the art work in the stations.

The centre of the city is really nice: it can be a bit touristy, beware of the restaurants but the overall the food is excellent. Don't forget to see the twin horseshoes at the entrance to the Rossio Train Station

There is a lift in one of the shopping streets in the centre but I can't remember for the life of me where it actually is. There's also a few funiculars too.

Take a train from Sete Rios station (use the Jardim Zoologico metro station IIRC) over the 25de Abril Bridge and back (or under the bridge to be more precise). Trains are frequent and run by Fertagus and not CP. See: http://vimeo.com/33154433

And then there's the trams of Lisbon - take route 28 through old Lisbon <- this is a must!!!

Enjoy!

Ian

Lrd

Established Member
Many thanks, just what I was after, will make a note of that! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.