• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Portugal] New Stadler FLIRT for CP - Comboios de Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giugiaro

22 new Stadler FLIRT trains for CP Comboios de Portugal

Resuming from this topic: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/portugal-new-trains-for-cp-comboios-de-portugal.197547/

CP - Comboios de Portugal has signed the contract for 22 new FLIRT 160 EMUs and HMUs with Stadler Rail, kickstarting the process for replacing the current 22 Spanish Class 592 DMUs leased from Renfe.

This comes after a nearly one year delay caused by an impeachment request submitted by CAF - Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles.
The first units are expected to arrive in Portugal by 2024, starting service around 2025, about 22 years after the most recent new passenger train acquisition.
The contract now has to be submitted to the National Financial Court for approval, valued at €158 Million (£142.5 Million) before manufacturing can start.

1603311597173.png

Source: https://eco.sapo.pt/2020/10/21/cp-assinou-contrato-para-compra-de-22-novos-comboios-por-158-milhoes/

Also, here's the news from Stadler:

Stadler to deliver the bestseller FLIRT to the Iberian Peninsula for the first time
The state-owned railway company Comboios de Portugal (CP) and Stadler have signed a contract for the manufacture and delivery of 22 regional trains of the type FLIRT. The order value amounts to around 158 million euros. This is the first time that Stadler´s FLIRT train will be used for passenger service on the Iberian Peninsula.

The Portuguese state-owned railway company Comboios de Portucal (CP) and Stadler have signed today the contract for the delivery of a total of 22 trains for the renewal of CP’s regional train fleet. The contract includes the manufacture and delivery of ten electric multiple untis (EMU) and twelve bimodal multiple units (BMU) of the FLIRT type. The total order value of 158 million euros includes not only the delivery of the vehicles, but also maintenance services for at least four years and training services.

Stadler manufactures for the first time FLIRT for passenger service on the Iberian-gauge of 1668 millimetres. The twelve bimodal FLIRT (BMU) are equipped with an additional drive module, which includes the diesel-electric drive. This enables driving on non-electrified lines. Thanks to their modular design, a possible future refitting from bimodal to purely electric drive or the replacement of the diesel generators with batteries are simplified, depending on the railway operator’s needs. Furthermore, 95 per cent of the material used is recyclable.

Ansgar Brockmeyer, sales director at Stadler, says: “We are proud that our FLIRT has been selected for the renewal of the regional train fleet. I am convinced that Portuguese passengers will appreciate the innovative and modern FLIRT – as millions of people in Switzerland, Germany and the Netherlands, among other countries, already do. The Portuguese market is extremely important for Stadler. We are happy that we can contribute to the modernization of the Portuguese railway industry”.

More information on the vehicles

The 22 FLIRT are 63.2 metres (EMU) respectively 74.4 metres (BMU) long. They consist of three aluminium car-bodies with a maximum capacity for 375 passengers, 214 of them seated. These trains can reach a maximum speed of 160 respectively 140 kilometres per hour, depending on the power source used. Stadler has paid particular attention on optimising vehicle accessibility, enabling step-free access from platforms of different heights for all passengers – also for people with limited mobility. The trains also have areas reserved for wheelchairs, pushchairs and bikes.

Vending machines can be installed on board to enhance the passenger experience. Additionally, the FLIRT will have Wi-Fi which enables passengers to access operator content as well as multimedia content. An advanced passenger information system further contributes to a great travel experience in the new FLIRT.

More than 1900 FLIRT sold

The FLIRT is Stadler’s bestseller and is extremely popular with customers all over the world. To date, Stadler has sold more than 1900 FLIRT trains in 21 countries. Currently, Stadler is manufacturing bimodal FLIRT for three further projects in Europe totalling 67 vehicles. Two of these projects are for costumers in Great Britain- namely Abellio East Anglia and KeolisAmey Wales & Borders – and one for Valle d’Aosta, Italy. Bimodal FLIRT, the FLIRT H2 and the FLIRT Akku are positioning Stadler as the leading manufacturer of environmentally friendly trains with alternative drives.

Source: https://www.stadlerrail.com/en/medi...the-iberian-peninsula-for-the-first-time/829/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
22 new Stadler FLIRT trains for CP Comboios de Portugal

Resuming from this topic: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/portugal-new-trains-for-cp-comboios-de-portugal.197547/

CP - Comboios de Portugal has signed the contract for 22 new FLIRT 160 EMUs and HMUs with Stadler Rail, kickstarting the process for replacing the current 22 Spanish Class 592 DMUs leased from Renfe.

This comes after a nearly one year delay caused by an impeachment request submitted by CAF - Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles.
The first units are expected to arrive in Portugal by 2024, starting service around 2025, about 22 years after the most recent new passenger train acquisition.
The contract now has to be submitted to the National Financial Court for approval, valued at €158 Million (£142.5 Million) before manufacturing can start.

View attachment 84909

Source: https://eco.sapo.pt/2020/10/21/cp-assinou-contrato-para-compra-de-22-novos-comboios-por-158-milhoes/

Also, here's the news from Stadler:

Source: https://www.stadlerrail.com/en/medi...the-iberian-peninsula-for-the-first-time/829/
Excellent news - the 592s are paat it, and nice to see CP finally getting new stock.
Reading the Stadler release, half of them are diesel bimodes (Douro etc.?)

Giugiaro

Exactly @30907
Ten EMU and twelve HMU.

The HMUs are to be used in partially electrified lines (or expected to be) like the Douro Line (that should be electrified up to Régua by the time they arrive) and the Oeste Line (electrified from Mira Sinta-Meleças to Caldas da Raínha).
They could, possibly, also be used to create a direct connection between Lisbon and Beja, which is electrified up to Casa Branca.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Porto-Vigo route is also being electrified (ie the electrified gap in Portugal is being reduced), but I don't know if it will be finished by 2024.
Currently that route also uses the same ex-Renfe DMUs as the Douro line.

The Porto-Vigo route is also being electrified (ie the electrified gap in Portugal is being reduced), but I don't know if it will be finished by 2024.
Currently that route also uses the same ex-Renfe DMUs as the Douro line.

The Viana to Valença section is due to go live in December this year or Jan 2021, so all apart from the two daily Porto-Vigo 592s will be replaced by 2240 EMUs and class 2600s/Arco stock (once ready!)

The new Stadlers are for the Algarve (8), Oeste (5), Douro (5) and Beja (2) - the numbers in brackets being the current number of diagrams of each route. The Hybrids will initially go to the Algarve to replace 0450s, but once Tunes-Lagos and Faro-VRSA are wired, the EMU only units will displace the Hybrids to Beja, Oeste & Douro. Note that on the last two routes should also see 2240s running some services Cacem to Caldas & to Regua, so there isn't a straight swap between current diagrams and Stadler deployment.

The 0450s should all be replaced on the Algarve and Beja, with the possibility a couple will be retained/refurbished and used to replace the 0350 Allans on the Leste to Elvas.

The 592s should all go off lease, starting from between early 2021 (592/0s first) and when the first Hybrids arrive for the Douro & Oeste. I am not currently aware of what will replace the 592s on the Porto-Vigo Celta service, but until the new stock arrives, the 14x 592/2s should be enough to cover the Oeste, Vigo and some Douro turns, along with the 1400s.

LocoCycle

This is excellent news ... I will be able to get my bicycle up to Viana and the Minho area from Porto next time I'm there, so long as there are enough 2240 diagrams, or the Arco stock will allow cycles (I doubt they'll be, or at least won't be convenient)..

This is excellent news ... I will be able to get my bicycle up to Viana and the Minho area from Porto next time I'm there, so long as there are enough 2240 diagrams, or the Arco stock will allow cycles (I doubt they'll be, or at least won't be convenient)..

As far as I understand, the 2240s should continue to be used on the Nine to Viana all-stations Regional services (as now), with 2600s & Arco coaches on Porto to Valença Inter-Regionals and Nine/Viana-Valença Regionals. However, the project to refurbish the Arco stock is well behind schedule and only 1 or 2 sets are likely to be ready for January 2021, hence Sorefames or Schindlers may be used, along with extra 2240s temporarily. The eventual plan is for all IR/R Minho services north of Nine to be class 2600s & Arco coaches (7 sets required).

the sniper

Established Member
I'm not too familiar with Portugal, but increasingly interested, largely due to the regime in charge of CP now and Giugiaro's enthusiastic posts here! Can I ask, was there not any sense in putting the Arco carriages on ICs rather than sending them up north, then cascading Sorefames up there for the IRs/Rs?

Also, is the intention to relivery more existing CP stock into the silver corporate colour scheme seen on the Alfa Pendular and new Stadler units, such as the Class 3400 or 3500?

Is there a feeling that more Stadler units could be ordered to replace more of the older fleets, such as the Class 3150/3250 on the Cascais Line (I believe it's going 25kv AC) or Class 350/450?

I'm not too familiar with Portugal, but increasingly interested, largely due to the regime in charge of CP now and Giugiaro's enthusiastic posts here! Can I ask, was there not any sense in putting the Arco carriages on ICs rather than sending them up north, then cascading Sorefames up there for the IRs/Rs?

Also, is the intention to relivery more existing CP stock into the silver corporate colour scheme seen on the Alfa Pendular and new Stadler units, such as the Class 3400 or 3500?

Is there a feeling that more Stadler units could be ordered to replace more of the older fleets, such as the Class 3150/3250 on the Cascais Line (I believe it's going 25kv AC) or Class 350/450?

The immediate requirement is to provide sufficient extra electric stock to a) respond to the increased in the electrified network and b) end the expensive and unpopular long term leasing of 592s from RENFE. Politically, it is unaceptable to have two newly wired lines (Viana-Valença and Guarda-Covilha) running with diesel traction, hence the project to reinstate the 2600s and purchase the Arcos - which I gather will be limited to 160kmh (initally anyway), hence largely prohibiting their use on ICs which run at 200kmh. The Arcos are planned to be deployed on the Minho and the two daily IRs from Tomar to Lisbon (which will free up four 2240s). I have yet to see a confirmed plan for the other 14 9000/10000 series coaches purchased from RENFE - although I have an idea what will happen...

Wait and see on the livery front... ;)

The government made an announcement in the last fortnight that they will be launching a massive fleet renewal plan - 55 Regional EMUs to replace the 2240s, 12-14 Alfa type units for long distance and sufficient new suburban units to replace the 3150/3250s on the Cascais line, provide stock for the projected new cross-city link via Alcantara and extra units in general for Lisbon/Porto suburban services. Obviously, they will all have to go out to tender, so who knows whether Stadler will win.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Viana to Valença section is due to go live in December this year or Jan 2021, so all apart from the two daily Porto-Vigo 592s will be replaced by 2240 EMUs and class 2600s/Arco stock (once ready!)

Is there a plan to wire from Valença across the Rio Minho bridge to the junction north of Tui, to complete an electric route to Vigo?
I guess that would mostly be down to Adif and Renfe as most of the route is in Spain.
It can't be more than about 5km to connect the two systems, but no doubt there are technical and diplomatic complications.

Is there a plan to wire from Valença across the Rio Minho bridge to the junction north of Tui, to complete an electric route to Vigo?
I guess that would mostly be down to Adif and Renfe as most of the route is in Spain.
It can't be more than about 5km to connect the two systems, but no doubt there are technical and diplomatic complications.

Yes, it has been done from both sides with the changeover from 3KV to 25KV in Tui station.

As I mentioned before, I don't currently know what the solution for the Porto-Vigo (or Corunha) trains is yet. There are various options available, none of which I hope will involve diesel 592s or 598/599s!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Yes, it has been done from both sides with the changeover from 3KV to 25KV in Tui station.

As I mentioned before, I don't currently know what the solution for the Porto-Vigo (or Corunha) trains is yet. There are various options available, none of which I hope will involve diesel 592s or 598/599s!

Excellent!
Sounds like things will soon be very different to when I did Porto-Vigo in 2015 in a heavily-graffiti-ed 592!

Just across the Portuguese border, Spain's LAV to Galicia has been extended by 110km this week from Zamora to Petralba (just west of Pueblo de Sanabria).
It knocks about 30 minutes off journeys from Madrid to Vigo/Santiago/A Coruna.
The remaining 125km to replace the winding, slow but scenic classic route on to Ourense will take another couple of years or so to complete.
The whole line is another incomprehensible single track high speed route, fit for 350km/h, with only a handful of trains per day.

Last edited:

BahrainLad

The government made an announcement in the last fortnight that they will be launching a massive fleet renewal plan - 55 Regional EMUs to replace the 2240s, 12-14 Alfa type units for long distance and sufficient new suburban units to replace the 3150/3250s on the Cascais line, provide stock for the projected new cross-city link via Alcantara and extra units in general for Lisbon/Porto suburban services. Obviously, they will all have to go out to tender, so who knows whether Stadler will win.

Very interesting, especially the Alfa replacement.

Do you have further information on the Lisbon cross-city link? Would this allow Cascais-Oriente services for example?

Giugiaro

The 0450s should all be replaced on the Algarve and Beja, with the possibility a couple will be retained/refurbished and used to replace the 0350 Allans on the Leste to Elvas.

There's a refurbishment plan for the 0450s in the coming years that has already been initiated, but the final details are yet to be decided.
There are two 0350s being brought back to working condition in Guifões. Not sure if they'll replace two of the three working ones that already maintain the service between Entroncamento and Badajoz (Spain), or if they'll be added to the existing fleet.

Talking about refurbishments, the narrow gauge 9630's will also be refurbished. Two have received new moquettes, but I still haven't confirmed if that is part of the refurbishment or just a temporary embellishment pre-refurb.

I am not currently aware of what will replace the 592s on the Porto-Vigo Celta service, but until the new stock arrives, the 14x 592/2s should be enough to cover the Oeste, Vigo and some Douro turns, along with the 1400s.

Deutsch Bahn is looking to make a competing service themselves and have it extended to A Coruña.
Renfe won't be taking the service themselves so it's up to CP to decide how they'll manage that link to Vigo. The Spanish ASFA is the main issue.

However, the project to refurbish the Arco stock is well behind schedule and only 1 or 2 sets are likely to be ready for January 2021, (...)

The plan is for three to be ready by January 2021, of which the first to come out is a 1st Class unit.
All three are at Guifões being worked on atm, and most resources have been shifted towards them.

Don't count on that.

Wait and see on the livery front... ;)

You seem highly suspicious.

The government made an announcement in the last fortnight that they will be launching a massive fleet renewal plan - 55 Regional EMUs to replace the 2240s, 12-14 Alfa type units for long distance and sufficient new suburban units to replace the 3150/3250s on the Cascais line, provide stock for the projected new cross-city link via Alcantara and extra units in general for Lisbon/Porto suburban services.

I haven't talked about this subject because... well... it's political talk. It's, still, leagues away from being information worth sharing, according to our 20 years of experience in rolling stock U-Turns.

Do you have further information on the Lisbon cross-city link? Would this allow Cascais-Oriente services for example?

There's talks about doing some changes in Alcantara to allow a direct link to Campolide.
But the issue is so toxic I rather not even talk about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.