• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Portugal] Old locomotive will be refurbished back to operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yesterday, the restriction was lifted for all Portuguese public transport, including air travel!

Afternoon @Giugiaro. Would you (or anyone else) know whether I’d be able to to get a run behind a 1400 if we were in Porto in the middle of January next year?

We’ve been thinking about taking a trip over there for a while now and I’d love to do the line behind something EE.

Giugiaro

Hello @Cowley

As far as I know, not much change should happen next year.
We're introducing two more Sorefame coaches into the fleet, which means that Choppers should still be chopping around the Douro for at least four years.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Afternoon @Giugiaro. Would you (or anyone else) know whether I’d be able to to get a run behind a 1400 if we were in Porto in the middle of January next year?

We’ve been thinking about taking a trip over there for a while now and I’d love to do the line behind something EE.
Would definitely recommend it, very scenic line and some good EE noises from the locos!
There were certainly 4 locos out when I was there a couple of weeks ago, believe it reduces to three in the winter?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Would definitely recommend it, very scenic line and some good EE noises from the locos!
There were certainly 4 locos out when I was there a couple of weeks ago, believe it reduces to three in the winter?

Great stuff. Thanks Richard. :)

Hello @Cowley

As far as I know, not much change should happen next year.
We're introducing two more Sorefame coaches into the fleet, which means that Choppers should still be chopping around the Douro for at least four years.

Fantastic. I was looking at flights from Bristol yesterday and they’re pretty cheap. I think we might have to do this!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Not a traction enthusiast by any means - but we had a splendid 4 days in Porto (back today) and we did the 0920 to Regio and the 1446 return on Tuesday. Never having done anything in Portugal bad the Cascais local with the family years ago.

It was 30 degrees and hot - but we had such a great day out. Trains nicely busy and it had a blue car , some of the smart red and cream stock and an aluminum car. We sat in the latter uphill and it brought back memories of class 37's on the South Wales valleys. (17 euros FIP rate for the two of us return) , the standard of driving seemed to be superb with good accelaration uphill and firm and positive braking into stations. Well impressed , let alone the wonderfull scenery.

Really enjoyed everything , not just railways , but Porto and the great value of everything , and the super historical sights. We are telling all our friends to visit. (and travel the Douro)

Cravens

As per ChiefPlanner - I did my Douro trip yesterday on what must have been the same rake - 3 or so red/cream Schindlers, the blue Schindler and a Sorefame coach. The experience was great fun - the driver was working the EE engine like nothing I’ve heard before, and giving the coaches a good work out on braking.

Really recommend it for enthusiasts - but also their families who would love the scenery. Porto is a great city as well.

AdamWW

Established Member
Really recommend it for enthusiasts - but also their families who would love the scenery. Porto is a great city as well.

I'd agree with that.

Is there anything left of the narrow gauge branches now? I did one of those some years ago and it was also highly scenic as well as being fascinating from a railway point of view (dual gauge track, semaphores...)

Veteran Member
I'd agree with that.

Is there anything left of the narrow gauge branches now? I did one of those some years ago and it was also highly scenic as well as being fascinating from a railway point of view (dual gauge track, semaphores...)
Only the line further south (Vouga?) is operational. There are some remains at the junctions on the Douro, particulary Regua.

Chriso

I like all the souvenirs available at the main Portuguese stations as well. Picked up a nice and very cheap selection of keyrings and pin badges of various types of stock. I really am a huge fan of the Portuguese railways

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Only the line further south (Vouga?) is operational. There are some remains at the junctions on the Douro, particulary Regua.

I spotted the 3 metre gauge tracks at the north end of Regua station (and a plinthed tank engine on the other side of the tracks) - beyond station limits , is there much left ?

Too hot to explore , so we took shade under the canopies !!! - thanks

Giugiaro

It's nice to see everyone enjoying the revitalised Douro Line. An excellent outcome for this thread's third anniversary. :D

A lot has changed for the best, even if we had to give up on safety and comfort to have a more stable, frequent, and exciting service.
More to look forward to in three years' time!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
It's nice to see everyone enjoying the revitalised Douro Line. An excellent outcome for this thread's third anniversary. :D

A lot has changed for the best, even if we had to give up on safety and comfort to have a more stable, frequent, and exciting service.
More to look forward to in three years' time!

One observation appears that the station car parks on the "metro" section seem 100% full , indicating that commuters are not working from home. (and using the train)

I have sold the ride quite hard to friends , some of whom are in Porto this week and have travelled the Douro.

An excellent line to ride on and an innovative solution to the needs. Note the "oxy" coach has special bike storage area included.

As this is the third anniversary of this Douro line thread here's an account of my first journey up the line in June 1968.
Starting off from Regua behind inside-cylinder 4-6-0 281 on the 7.05 mixed train to Pocinho, this train supplied the valley with just about everything they needed, including water which they drew from the tank wagon next to the loco.
Women,never men, carried it back to their homes on containers balanced on their heads.
The first picture shows the train shunting at Tua, the guard told us about a cafe near to the station where we could go for a coffee and he said the driver would give a loud blast on the whistle five minutes before departure. On the right of the first photo is a traveling post office on the ng line.
The 2nd photo shows loco 285 in position as bank loco for the climb up from Freixo de Numao upto Pocinho. Note the (red) disc between the buffers indicating this is the back end of the train.Some enthusiasts are
talking to the crew who are saying that they work long hours for little pay.
From Pocinho I traveled to Barca d'Alva on the Bud lightweight railcar, visible on the next photo,which would from the following week, run through to Salamanca. On this occasion it was still steam hauled by RENFE 0-6-0 230-2568 to Fuentes de San Esteban where I changed for Salamanca.
I've also included the 1968 Douro line timetable so you can compare it with today's timetable.

As this is the third anniversary of this Douro line thread here's an account of my first journey up the line in June 1968.
Starting off from Regua behind inside-cylinder 4-6-0 281 on the 7.05 mixed train to Pocinho, this train supplied the valley with just about everything they needed, including water which they drew from the tank wagon next to the loco.
Women,never men, carried it back to their homes on containers balanced on their heads.
The first picture shows the train shunting at Tua, the guard told us about a cafe near to the station where we could go for a coffee and he said the driver would give a loud blast on the whistle five minutes before departure. On the right of the first photo is a traveling post office on the ng line.
The 2nd photo shows loco 285 in position as bank loco for the climb up from Freixo de Numao upto Pocinho. Note the (red) disc between the buffers indicating this is the back end of the train.Some enthusiasts are
talking to the crew who are saying that they work long hours for little pay.
From Pocinho I traveled to Barca d'Alva on the Bud lightweight railcar, visible on the next photo,which would from the following week, run through to Salamanca. On this occasion it was still steam hauled by RENFE 0-6-0 230-2568 to Fuentes de San Esteban where I changed for Salamanca.
I've also included the 1968 Douro line timetable so you can compare it with today's timetable.
The RENFE loco was 030-2568 being an 0-6-0.

Attachments

• IMG_20220926_162820__01.jpg
    IMG_20220926_162820__01.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20220927_101702__01.jpg
    IMG_20220927_101702__01.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220927_102747__01.jpg
    IMG_20220927_102747__01.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220927_101325.jpg
    IMG_20220927_101325.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20220927_101100__01.jpg
    IMG_20220927_101100__01.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Sharmak1

1414 1419 1453 all stored/withdrawn
1965-1972 all stored/withdrawn
1167 were there last year.

Last edited:

Richard Scott

Established Member
Got sent a picture of 1415 with a damaged cab, assume it's collided with something? Have no more info than that, if anyone can shed any light onto this? Assume photo is genuine but could be someone messing about with photoshop?

Established Member
Got sent a picture of 1415 with a damaged cab, assume it's collided with something? Have no more info than that, if anyone can shed any light onto this? Assume photo is genuine but could be someone messing about with photoshop?
It is genuine (unfortunately) loco was taken to Barreiro for assessment yesterday and has been replaced at Lisbon by 1424.
If you do Facebook, "The Official Portuguese Railway Appreciation Group" is worth joining.

JKF

Collided with some kind of gantry in a depot, think the gantry was for servicing pantographs or other equipment on electric locos. 1400s are quite tall.

Established Member
I'm hoping that locos have nine lives like cats! Had a few good runs off this one when it was one of the three 14s outbased at Régua during the upgrade works between Caíde and Marco around four years ago.

37201xoIM

I'm hoping that locos have nine lives like cats! Had a few good runs off this one when it was one of the three 14s outbased at Régua during the upgrade works between Caíde and Marco around four years ago.
I think it was during that stint of work that poor 1415 had this disagreement with the turntable at Regua...

Status
Not open for further replies.