• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portuguese Railways - tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Has anyone any experience of booking tickets on the cp.pt website? Do you get a self print ticket, collect from a TVM or sent by mail?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Has anyone any experience of booking tickets on the cp.pt website? Do you get a self print ticket, collect from a TVM or sent by mail?

I got mine as an e-ticket (Lisbon-Porto).
No problems at all.
I also booked cross-border Porto-Vigo, but had to book that on Renfe's site.
Worst part of the trip was queuing to buy a Metro ticket from the ATMs at Lisbon airport station (unstaffed).

Last edited:

gordonthemoron

Established Member
yes, I'm not sure which Lisbon metro ticket is appropriate as I guess day tickets are the best bet but I'm not sure what the boundaries are (metro v +CP out to Sintra/Cascais)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
yes, I'm not sure which Lisbon metro ticket is appropriate as I guess day tickets are the best bet but I'm not sure what the boundaries are (metro v +CP out to Sintra/Cascais)

I ended up buying the "zapping" (pay as you go) version of Viva Viagem, because I wanted to use the Tejo ferries as well as go to Cascais (and the metro from the airport).
I put €15 on the ticket, but of course can't remember now how much credit I was left with.
The bus/metro/CP version is I think €10, and is valid to Cascais/Sintra (but not on the Tejo ferries).
A ferry trip Cais do Sodre to Cacilhas gives a great view of the city.
Starts from the same place Cascais trains start.

paddington

I have only done this once and got a self-print ticket, but the conductor didn't want or need to see it. He already knew my name from his handheld device and did not want to see any ID.

(I believe PT trains have compulsory seat reservations which is the only way this could work)

Mordac

Established Member
InterCity or AlphaPendular and of course Talgo have compulsory seat reservation. At least that was my experience on last years Algarve tour.

That is correct. No reservations on Interregional, Regional or suburban trains. And I don't know for sure, but don't think there are any on the international Porto to Vigo trains.

pemma

Veteran Member
Worst part of the trip was queuing to buy a Metro ticket from the ATMs at Lisbon airport station (unstaffed).

It's similar to Munich Airport station - too few machines for the number of passengers using the station.

The important thing to note about the TVMs is your ticket has to be loaded on to a Viva Viagem card. If you have one then you select an option saying you've got one, if you don't then you are issued with one and charged 50 cents for it.

One other thing to note about Portuguese public transport is if a union calls a strike they don't have to give passengers any real warning, so you might find a strike is on even if there was no mention of it on the operator's website the day before.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
That is correct. No reservations on Interregional, Regional or suburban trains. And I don't know for sure, but don't think there are any on the international Porto to Vigo trains.

You are right.
The Porto-Vigo trains are just local Porto DMUs, the same as they use on the Douro services.
I believe these CP trains originally belonged to Renfe.
A fascinating run though, ancient single track mainly.
I believe they've recently decided to upgrade and electrify to the border.

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member
You are right.
The Porto-Vigo trains are just local Porto DMUs, the same as they use on the Douro services.

Correct on all accounts. Renfe still owns them, but they're being leased by CP. One caught fire recently, and another was wrecked in the recent crash.

Work has recently started to electrify from Nine (where the line to Braga branches off) to Viana do Castelo, and tendering is ongoing from Viana do the border.

I don't think that other than removing level crossings there will be much upgrade work though.

rf_ioliver

I recommend the "zapping" ticket - kind of pay as you go idea. One word of warning however, while you can use the ticket on Fertagus trains (private operator in Lisbon) you'll have to go to their ticket machines first, buy a ticket there and then validate it on the platform...a bit weird and I can't fully recall precisely how it works (was there last year)

Enjoy Portugal - fantastic country!

t.

Ian

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I've just checked my (Renfe) ticket for Porto-Vigo (2015) and it did allocate a specific seat on the 3-car DMU.
However, on the day I didn't get the impression it mattered much.
Not empty, but not busy either.
Basically sit where you like.

Andrewlong

I ended up buying the "zapping" (pay as you go) version of Viva Viagem, because I wanted to use the Tejo ferries as well as go to Cascais (and the metro from the airport).
I put €15 on the ticket, but of course can't remember now how much credit I was left with.
The bus/metro/CP version is I think €10, and is valid to Cascais/Sintra (but not on the Tejo ferries).
A ferry trip Cais do Sodre to Cacilhas gives a great view of the city.
Starts from the same place Cascais trains start.

Totally agree - we did the zapping thing too in Lisbon though you need to find someone to explain the jargon or read up before hand. If you take ferry, to other side, you can get a bus up to the statue of Jesus where the views are similar those of San Francisco and the Golden gate Bridge. You wont be able to use your zapping card on the bus though. Different operator but it will hardly break the bank!

pemma

Veteran Member
I recall finding some potentially useful information only in Portuguese so I tried putting it through Google Translate and it translated the place Belém, so the translation read "Take the tram from Lisbon to Bethlehem"!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I recall finding some potentially useful information only in Portuguese so I tried putting it through Google Translate and it translated the place Belém, so the translation read "Take the tram from Lisbon to Bethlehem"!

If you do that to Wikipedia articles on Hungarian railways in Hungarian, it frequently translates the station names North American ones, so you get San Francisco and Chicago appearing in the text.
Belem really is, I think, the Portuguese for the place we call Bethlehem, so it was on the right lines!

Last edited:

rf_ioliver

Totally agree - we did the zapping thing too in Lisbon though you need to find someone to explain the jargon or read up before hand. If you take ferry, to other side, you can get a bus up to the statue of Jesus where the views are similar those of San Francisco and the Golden gate Bridge. You wont be able to use your zapping card on the bus though. Different operator but it will hardly break the bank!

Are you sure? At least the tram operator on the south side and Fertagus utilise the zapping ticket...admittedly I haven't taken the bus but I thought all Lisbon area operators accept the same tickets.

On the otherhand, as you say, Lisbon public transport is cheap :)

t.

Ian

Mordac

Established Member
Are you sure? At least the tram operator on the south side and Fertagus utilise the zapping ticket...admittedly I haven't taken the bus but I thought all Lisbon area operators accept the same tickets.

On the otherhand, as you say, Lisbon public transport is cheap :)

t.

Ian

Yep, you can use the same cards to load tickets onto, but you can't use zapping on the privately owned bus operators, so you need to keep two separate cards.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Am I still of any help at this point?

Actually, there is one thing. I am intending on doing Porto-Faro, the 15:47 looks OK but arrives quite late. There is a connection on the 10:52 changing at Lisboa Oriente but the connection time is only 10 minutes, is this adequate? I would prefer to use the 9:47 which has an extended connection time at Oriente, is there any way to force the website to choose this service from Porto instead?

TheSeeker

You are right.

My wife's parents live in a small village near Castro Daire and we often drive with them down the Douro valley and over the mountains, via Regua to the airport at Porto. They call it the cheap way to avoid the motorway tolls via the south. What an amazing sight. The line to Regua snakes along the side of the valley, crossing and re crossing the road with steel trestle bridges. I'd always assumed Regua was the terminus. Will have to explore the line this summer by train.

I took these pictures on a visit at Easter in 2012.

Cheers

Ben

Attachments

• DSC_0438.jpg
    DSC_0438.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0442.jpg
    DSC_0442.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 11

Giugiaro

Actually, there is one thing. I am intending on doing Porto-Faro, the 15:47 looks OK but arrives quite late. There is a connection on the 10:52 changing at Lisboa Oriente but the connection time is only 10 minutes, is this adequate? I would prefer to use the 9:47 which has an extended connection time at Oriente, is there any way to force the website to choose this service from Porto instead?

The CP website limits interchanges up to 15 or 20 minutes between arrival and departure, which is what most people look for, but might not be ideal.

The best way to do this is to buy the two lengths separately. Promotions are per-train so buying both together or separately doesn't change anything. The only risk is that someone may take the last promotional seat from one of the two trains you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.