• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible advice on interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbylad

Good afternoon

I have an interview for the role of an operative (signalling Maintenance) in a few weeks time and i am wondering if anyone could possibly give me some advice and tips for this interview? I have been told to prepare for a competency based interview which i imagine this will be around the 8 NTS and also Rail knowledge of signalling safety? Could anyone explain this to me or point me in the direction on where to find the relevant information? This would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elecman

Established Member
Think of all Signalling equipment and procedures being fail safe, and also the NR Lifesaving rules

Rugbylad

Think of all Signalling equipment and procedures being fail safe, and also the NR Lifesaving rules

Thanks for the reply and pointing me in a direction. I take it they will be looking for me to explain what a the fail safe is and explaining what causes them? Sorry for all the questions, i have never been to an interview like this before.
Cheers

MT18

Thanks for the reply and pointing me in a direction. I take it they will be looking for me to explain what a the fail safe is and explaining what causes them? Sorry for all the questions, i have never been to an interview like this before.
Cheers

Rugbylad if you are an external candidate I wouldn’t worry learning too in depth about causes of signal failures. Brush up on ohms law, basic electrical principles you will learn all if you get it, learn what a track circuit is again nothing too in depth. How important the signalling infrastructure is to safety. Keep it simple as an external candidate you shouldn’t be expected to know the technical side to S&T. There are pages on the Network Rail website with loads of information such as track circuits and signals and points.

My advice, have a look a STAR method of interviewing, answer mock questions. Learn the lifesaving rules. Cannot stress enough about safety! Learn about Network Rail in general. All the resources you need are on the Network Rail website.

Last edited:

Rugbylad

Rugbylad if you are an external candidate I wouldn’t worry learning too in depth about causes of signal failures. Brush up on ohms law, basic electrical principles you will learn all if you get it, learn what a track circuit is nothing again too in depth. How important the signalling infrastructure is to safety. Keep it simple as an external candidate you shouldn’t be expected to know the technical side to S&T. There are pages on the Network Rail website with loads of information such as track circuit and signals and points.

My advice, have a look a STAR method of interviewing, answer mock questions. Learn the lifesaving rules. Cannot stress enough about safety! Learn about Network Rail in general. All the resources you need are on the Network Rail website.

MT18 yes i am an external applicant. Many thanks for your reply and help its very much appreciated. I was starting to panic a bit when i realised there was so much information to try and take in. I didn't have a clue where to start.
once again thanks for all the information.
Thanks!

MT18

MT18 yes i am an external applicant. Many thanks for your reply and help its very much appreciated. I was starting to panic a bit when i realised there was so much information to try and take in. I didn't have a clue where to start.
once again thanks for all the information.
Thanks!

No worries at all, you’ll smash it. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.