• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible confusion between Merseyrail Day Saver and Saveaway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faddy

I wonder how many people buy Day Savers expecting them to have the same rail validity as Saveaways i.e. all trains within Merseyside? (Incidentally, is my memory playing tricks or were all rail lines in Merseyside branded as Merseyrail in pre-privatisation days?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wonder how many people buy Day Savers expecting them to have the same rail validity as Saveaways i.e. all trains within Merseyside? (Incidentally, is my memory playing tricks or were all rail lines in Merseyside branded as Merseyrail in pre-privatisation days?)

They were and they still are, though the trains are no longer liveried. Merseyrail is the branding for subsidised rail services within what was Merseyside (those services operated by Northern, TPE and WMT are known as the "City Line" locally). Merseyrail Electrics is the TOC that operates the Northern and Wirral Lines.

faddy

They were and they still are, though the trains are no longer liveried. Merseyrail is the branding for subsidised rail services within what was Merseyside (those services operated by Northern, TPE and WMT are known as the "City Line" locally). Merseyrail Electrics is the TOC that operates the Northern and Wirral Lines.
Though the route maps now show "Merseyrail Northern" and "Merseyrail Wirral" but plain "City" - I'm not sure whether "Merseyrail" has been added to "Northern" and "Wirral" or removed from "City", I suspect the former.

Oh, and the Metropolitan County of Merseyside still exists, though it has of course long since ceased to have a council.

Status
Not open for further replies.