• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible Error in GMPTE Map on National Rail Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

I believe that I may have found an error in a map on the National Rail website - before I report it though, it might be useful to have confirmation from someone more knowledgeable and familiar with the area myself.

There error I may have found is in this file (PDF) which is linked to from the 'Greater Manchester Daysaver Train and Metrolink Ticket' page in the Rovers and Rangers section of the site.

In the bottom left, Birchwood is shown as being the boundary of the Greater Manchester PTE area. Wikipedia's page about Glazebrook station and the map (PDF) linked to from the 'Greater Machester Daysaver Train, Bus and Metrolink Ticket' page in the Rovers and Rangers section of the site disagree.

Have I found an error (I note the map is dated 2014, so it may have changed in the meantime)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dggar

The map in the link also fails to show the Chat Moss route from Manchester (via Eccles) to Wigan NW. I have an eMail from TfGM staing that it is a valid route, (for the concessionary passes) so I would have thought is valid for the day saver ticket.

The map in the link also fails to show the Chat Moss route from Manchester (via Eccles) to Wigan NW. I have an eMail from TfGM staing that it is a valid route, (for the concessionary passes) so I would have thought is valid for the day saver ticket.

Their (GMPTE) own map shows this link too.

Rail Ranger

Birchwood has never been in the GMPTE/TfGM area. It was shown as the boundary by mistake in maps produced about 10 years ago. Glazebrook has always been the boundary AFAIK despite being just over the border in Cheshire (rather like Appley Bridge, which is in Lancashire).

WatcherZero

Established Member
Funnily enough theres a 2013 thread where the exact same wrong map issue came up. The conclusion was the NRE website maps boundary was wrong.

The GM Wayfarer is valid as far as Warrington
The GM Day Ranger/Day Saver is only valid as far as Glazebrook

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Good luck with getting NRE to concede that there is a mistake and more to to actually fix it.

mrbluelips

Also, New Mills Central, Disley and New Mills Newtown are included in the TFGM area which are not shown on the map despite actually being in Derbyshire (a bit like Hadfield and Glossop)

Additionally, the Metrlolink line to the airport is also missing.

Seems like an old map just needs replacing to me.

Established Member
Funnily enough theres a 2013 thread where the exact same wrong map issue came up. The conclusion was the NRE website maps boundary was wrong.

That was my thread, after being charged for a new ticket by a TPE RPI, despite having the map on me that said Birchwood was on the GM Rail Ranger.

TPE Customer Relations did state the map was wrong and the case was passed over to ATOC, who said they had changed the map!

ATOC did admit it was wrong and changed the map for the GM Rail Ranger, rather than getting rid of the map altogether it seems...

For the record, IIRC, Neither TPE nor ATOC were in a rush to offer compensation for me having to pay twice (going off the advertised validity of the ranger at the time) either!

Last edited:

For the record, IIRC, Neither TPE nor ATOC were in a rush to offer compensation for me having to pay twice (going off the advertised validity of the ranger at the time) either!

Did you manage to get compensation in the end, and from whom and how much? (Sorry but I don't know where your thread is).

Established Member
Did you manage to get compensation in the end, and from whom and how much? (Sorry but I don't know where your thread is).
I can't remember, but if I did it would definately have been as a goodwill gesture from TPE rather than ATOC

terryc

What a splendid ticket and value for money the GM Wayfarer is in the way it does straddle county borders.:)
for example:-
Newton-le-Willows (Merseyside), Glossop (Derbyshire) and Macclesfield, Northwich, and both Warrington stations (all Cheshire). All can be visited for just £6 (senior fare)

Established Member
What a splendid ticket and value for money the GM Wayfarer is in the way it does straddle county borders.:)
for example:-
Newton-le-Willows (Merseyside), Glossop (Derbyshire) and Macclesfield, Northwich, and both Warrington stations (all Cheshire). All can be visited for just £6 (senior fare)
Yet no student fare[emoji35]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jack Hay

Also, New Mills Central, Disley and New Mills Newtown are included in the TFGM area which are not shown on the map despite actually being in Derbyshire (a bit like Hadfield and Glossop)

I agree with you but feel the need to mention that Disley is in Cheshire, not Derbyshire. It is the only station on the Buxton line that is in Cheshire.

scrapy

Established Member

New Mills stations and Disley are not in the TFGM area. Countycard and Traincards are valid to these stations however unlike Hadfield, Glossop and Dinting fares are not set or subsidised to these stations by TFGM and rail rangers and concessionary passes are not valid to these stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.