• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible 'normal' holiday destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
I thought it might be useful to start a thread listing possible destinations for those of us who don't think the prospect of face masks by the pool and on the beach are very appealing:
Spain - open for business...However, different provinces in Spain can revert to previous stages of lockdown and introduce different measures - for example masks are compulsory everywhere including on beaches and swimming pools in Andalusia and the Balearic Islands...Nightclubs can also open although capacity is limited. To give an idea of what a night out is like, people have to provide contact details, wear masks and the dancefloor has become a seating area.
Well, perhaps it's just me, but "holidaying" under such conditions doesn't sound very enticing.

So where can we escape to? Possibilities:
Jersey. No need to self-isolate provided you take a PCR test upon arrival (or have tested negative in the 72 hours prior to arrival). If your test is positive, you have to isolate for 14 days. Masks are not mandatory anywhere, merely "advised" on public transport.
Sweden.
Croatia sounds relatively sensible based upon other postings in the forum.

Where else?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
Well for my wife and I Andalusia would be at least 75% normal, but mainly thanks to family having a villa out there. So whilst masks would be needed for shopping, wandering about (we're not really beach people), a good portion of our time would be spent on the terrace soaking in the heat, the vista & of course the vino!

Howardh

Established Member
I'm off to Formentera (an island in the Balearics) which is as normal as it gets, lots of open space and beaches to walk along mask-free and most bars have outdoor areas. So, yes, a fairly "normal" holiday with the minimum use of masks.
Also hoping to go to Gibraltar later in the year, which again should be near-normal.
Not sure tests will be required to get to either of those locations, at the moment you just fill in an on-line form for Spain.
Surprised Jersey is letting in pax without quarantine (but with test) seeing as the Channel Islands was/is covid-free and operating normally. Anyone not wanting that test will have to self-isolate for 14 days.
But I'd be happy to take any test as long as I can travel - except that if you arrive and test positive, you have to quarantine for 14 days (ie can't fly home immediately) so I would rather have a test before departure. How can I do that?

AdamWW

Established Member
But I'd be happy to take any test as long as I can travel - except that if you arrive and test positive, you have to quarantine for 14 days (ie can't fly home immediately) so I would rather have a test before departure. How can I do that?

Pay for a test (~£200 a throw).

nlogax

Established Member
Iceland. You can pay a relatively small amount in advance to take a Covid test when you land at Keflavik and then you're free to go, you'll be texted with the results soon afterwards.

scarby

It would be hard to go wrong with Sweden.

Entry to the country is as far as I know straightforward from other EU/EES countries and the UK.

Face masks you won't see much - in fact people wearing them who aren't elderly even tend to get stared at.

Everything such as bars, restaurants etc. is near normal except for simple social distancing by having allotted tables/places. There is no ott what-iffery such as disposable menus, etc. I go out quite a lot and you would barely know that anything is different.

Expect hotels to be near normal - also prices have plummeted, though they may have gone up a bit now that a lot of Swedes are staycationing. I have stayed in a hotel recently and it was normal except there was no breakfast buffet, but some hotels still do these.

Train travel is more or less normal. I travelled from Stockholm to Örebro recently and it was a very relaxed atmosphere.

In general people aren't jumpy, in fact quite the opposite. The main recommendations are to keep distance "where possible" and to try to not meet too many "new" people.

carlberry

Established Member

Entry to the country is as far as I know straightforward from other EU/EES countries and the UK.

Face masks you won't see much - in fact people wearing them who aren't elderly even tend to get stared at.

Everything such as bars, restaurants etc. is near normal except for simple social distancing by having allotted tables/places. There is no ott what-iffery such as disposable menus, etc. I go out quite a lot and you would barely know that anything is different.

Expect hotels to be near normal - also prices have plummeted, though they may have gone up a bit now that a lot of Swedes are staycationing. I have stayed in a hotel recently and it was normal except there was no breakfast buffet, but some hotels still do these.

Train travel is more or less normal. I travelled from Stockholm to Örebro recently and it was a very relaxed atmosphere.

In general people aren't jumpy, in fact quite the opposite. The main recommendations are to keep distance "where possible" and to try to not meet too many "new" people.
Plus quarantine for 14 days when you get back!

trebor79

Established Member

Plus quarantine for 14 days when you get back!
Yeah but it's not really quarantine here is it? Please stay at home and if you're really unlucky you might get a phone call to check you are there.
Working from home it wouldn't be a problem anyway.

sjpowermac

Established Member

It seems the Foreign Office don’t share your enthusiasm:

‘Travel options to and from Sweden are significantly reduced due to coronavirus related restrictions.’

Before anyone gets hysterical (I assume this is yet another ‘coronavirus isn’t any sort of a problem’ thread) it seems Denmark is equally unimpressed:

‘The Danish Government has restricted access to individuals living in Sweden.’

Do feel free to rubbish the advice, I’ve posted it merely for information...

Full advice linked below:

Last edited:

Jamiescott1

Hasn't France just introduced a masks mandate for all enclosed public spaces?

Just googled it and masks now are mandatory in shops same as croatia.

Edit: just been asked for first time today to wear a mask in public area of hotel

Last edited:

Chester1

Established Member
I have just been to Italy for a week and it was fairly normal. Masks are compulsory on public transport and when ordering at bars or restaurants (but you take them off at table). They are not required at beaches or outdoors. Indoor seating capacity has been reduced but a lot of roads and parking bays are being used to provided additional outdoor seating areas. The vast majority of tourist sites are open. Everything isn't quite normal but it was near enough to normality that I enjoyed the holiday.

johnnychips

Established Member
Barcelona, you have to wear masks everywhere except the beach, bars, restaurants or when eating and smoking on the street. I’ve found this tolerable if I don’t wear my glasses; I just have to be careful when stepping off buses or trains and crossing the road. It seems the spike of cases is going down.

trebor79

Established Member
Barcelona, you have to wear masks everywhere except the beach, bars, restaurants or when eating and smoking on the street. I’ve found this tolerable if I don’t wear my glasses; I just have to be careful when stepping off buses or trains and crossing the road. It seems the spike of cases is going down.
Not normal. Not what I'd want to be doing on holiday.
I'm thinking of where can we go to escape all the nonsense for a week or two?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
If you live in Wales or Scotland, even a week down in England will spell a level of normality totally above what we have up here.

Freightmaster

Established Member
If you live in Wales or Scotland, even a week down in England will spell a level of normality totally above what we have up here.
Out of curiosity, what are the differences in 'normality' between England and Scotland from this Friday?

(I ask because I'm thinking of having a short break in Perthshire in early September...)

MARK

Scotrail12

I've been vocally against the Scottish approach but having been to London last weekend, there really isn't much difference except for the masks not being required in shops which is due to change anyway. I would actually say that Glasgow is busier than London.

AdamWW

Established Member
I've been vocally against the Scottish approach but having been to London last weekend, there really isn't much difference except for the masks not being required in shops which is due to change anyway. I would actually say that Glasgow is busier than London.

Although I've heard that in England you're not made to feel like a criminal if you have a day out on public transport.

Scotrail12

Although I've heard that in England you're not made to feel like a criminal if you have a day out on public transport.

I haven't really experienced any differences between ScotRail, Avanti & TfL in terms of attitudes towards leisure customers in all honesty.

AdamWW

Established Member
I thought Scotrail were still pushing the "Essential travel only" line.

Just Wales then?

OK...

I thought Scotrail were still pushing the "Essential travel only" line.

Just Wales then?

OK...

The Scotrail site has a pop up that states:

Do not travel unless your journey is absolutely necessary
ScotRail is playing a critical role during the Coronavirus crisis to provide transport for those who absolutely have to travel.

We are introducing a new timetable with more services on 3 August 2020. We will release these tickets for sale on our website starting on 22 July. Until then, timetable information and tickets will not be visible on our website. We are grateful for your patience while we prepare for this important timetable change.
Please remember that wearing a face covering is mandatory at all stages of your necessary journey, helping to keep you and others safe.

Based on this I would expect a change in message from 3rd August

AdamWW

Established Member
The Scotrail site has a pop up that states:

Do not travel unless your journey is absolutely necessary
ScotRail is playing a critical role during the Coronavirus crisis to provide transport for those who absolutely have to travel.

We are introducing a new timetable with more services on 3 August 2020. We will release these tickets for sale on our website starting on 22 July. Until then, timetable information and tickets will not be visible on our website. We are grateful for your patience while we prepare for this important timetable change.
Please remember that wearing a face covering is mandatory at all stages of your necessary journey, helping to keep you and others safe.

Based on this I would expect a change in message from 3rd August

Hmmm. So you can buy tickets now for a holiday, but have to wait until August to find out if you're allowed to use them?

kristiang85

Established Member
Iceland. You can pay a relatively small amount in advance to take a Covid test when you land at Keflavik and then you're free to go, you'll be texted with the results soon afterwards.

I'm off there next week. £48 return flight base fare, which for the summer holidays is insane (usually you're looking at £300).

Once there life is pretty much normal apparently.

Now fingers crossed we pass the swab test...

jtuk

Booked for five nights in Prague and then two in Amsterdam around the bank holiday. Czech Republic seems back to normal barring the airport and the metro (which can be avoided), Amsterdam seems much the same apart from public transport, which again apart from to/from airport can be avoided. Looking forward to it immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.