• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible 'normal' holiday destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A request that we keep this thread for discussion on possible holiday destinations where things are normal. For discussion of airbridges and quarantines please use this thread:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
If you live in Wales or Scotland, even a week down in England will spell a level of normality totally above what we have up here.

Im just back from a wee break down to the Isle of Wight and few nights on the South Coast. Things pretty much same as Scotland except the weather. Bits of Central London are quiet when i passed through

hassaanhc

Established Member
I've come back from 4 nights in Prague (Czech Republic). Really needed that trip and it was so good.

The only places requiring masks were the airport and the metro (both trains and the compulsory ticket areas on stations). Everywhere else, including other public transport, only a few people were wearing masks when not compulsory. There is also no requirement for distancing, and again it was something few people cared about. Definitely very few signs of there being a pandemic! Restaurants, bars and nightclubs were busy, and no capacity restrictions on public transport.

Flight on the way there (BA862 from Heathrow on Thursday) was a completely full A320. Terminal 5 was decently busy, probably still down for a normal August, but I was happy to see it. On arrival at Prague, all passports were being checked manually but the queues were still short. Not many flights running to/from there.

Prague still had many tourists, again probably down compared to a normal August, but it was definitely good to see. The main railway station (hlavní nádraží) was busy, so many people had those massive backpacks, whether with or without obvious camping gear. On the roads, a good number of foreign registered cars (almost all from the neighbouring countries Germany, Slovakia and Poland). Seeing the stream of people entering / exiting metro stations really cheered me up.

Return flight was virtually full with the booked A319, but they sent an A320 instead so there were a few seats free. Had to complete the form on arrival, which I didn't remember to do it before leaving so I had to spend 10 minutes doing it while standing on the side, only to then not have it checked! Hardly anyone using the passport e-gates, so that was very quick to pass through. Then on the way home I had to worry about being left behind because of the 18 capacity on a 12m Citaro, or the 35 capacity on a double decker. Shame I narrowly missed the 9-car 345 to Southall!

jtuk

Good to hear about Prague, all things being equal I'll be off there in a couple of weeks

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Italy also works, as currently there is no need to use masks on beaches, if I remember correctly. They are only compulsory in indoor environments (e.g. Public transport) and outdoor areas where social distancing is impossible.

trebor79

Established Member
Italy also works, as currently there is no need to use masks on beaches, if I remember correctly. They are only compulsory in indoor environments (e.g. Public transport) and outdoor areas where social distancing is impossible.
No, Italy doesn't count. I specifically am interested in places where life in normal, not where there are more restriction and even more places you're meant to wear a silly mask then here.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
No, Italy doesn't count. I specifically am interested in places where life in normal, not where there are more restriction and even more places you're meant to wear a silly mask then here.

Oh ok.
Well here is an obvious answer: New Zealand.

BJames

Established Member
Oh ok.
Well here is an obvious answer: New Zealand.
Apart from the border being closed Auckland is back in lockdown and the rest of the country on level 2 restrictions to make sure that Covid doesn't emerge back into the community in a serious way (sidenote: highlights the issue of trying to eliminate the virus - it just takes one person to slip through the net).

Howardh

Established Member
Apart from the border being closed Auckland is back in lockdown and the rest of the country on level 2 restrictions to make sure that Covid doesn't emerge back into the community in a serious way (sidenote: highlights the issue of trying to eliminate the virus - it just takes one person to slip through the net).
It kinda proves it's not going to go away, so maybe until there's a vaccine (if ever) we will have to learn to live with it. That means herd immunity and a higher number of deaths than normal; or we are in partial to total lockdown for some time; or we hide away the most vulnerable which is basically a virtual jail sentence for the innocent save for going out in a space-suit. Probably a mixture of all three.
Just when I was looking forward to my retirement. My fault.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just back from a trip to southern Germany with another forum member. We spent most of the time there travelling about on trains and apart from the fact that we had to wear masks whilst in the train it was as "normal" as it could be with sometimes busy trains and regular ticket checks. There are signs requesting that you try to keep 1.5m apart in supermarkets etc but they are inconspicuous and not as "shouty" as they are in the UK. All in all I get the impression that Germany is just getting on with it and learning to live with the virus without over the top measures.

Last edited:

jtuk

Stokes was actually born there though, which will probably make a difference

I see they've leaked that they're looking at putting the Netherlands onto the unclean list, so shunted the flights for the Amsterdam section later this month to elsewhere in November/December for no cost then booked straight back from Prague instead

BJames

Established Member
The cricketer Ben Stokes has just flown to New Zealand for family reasons so i assume you can get in for certain reasons.
You can get in if:
-You are a New Zealand citizen currently abroad
(they can also bring their partner and any dependents aged 19 or under) - the partner and dependents would need to gain approval via an online form but it will likely be granted, a NZ citizen with a NZ passport does not need to seek advance approval before travelling to NZ
-You have a compelling reason to be granted entry, e.g. you are a critical health worker, or are a Samoan/Tongan resident making essential travel (still requires approval though)

You can read full details here: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19/border-closures-and-exceptions

FWIW under these conditions I would be able to enter NZ and had contemplated spending some time out there staying with a family friend but flights were incredibly expensive, and I knew there was always going to be a risk of it going back into lockdown - exactly what has just happened in Auckland. Plus, the flight time of around 23 hours with a face mask on was incredibly offputting, and the 14 day strict quarantine on arrival was not ideal either.

Howardh

Established Member
With Spain and France off the list, choices for me are now Portugal and Gibraltar. Dunno what figures Greece's new infections contines to rise, think Malta is now on the Quarantine list. With autumn approaching, this will be the first year I haven't been abroad since I was 10. And this is the first year I could have travelled when I want, where I want.

At least it's convinced me not to buy property abroad. Anything long-term will now be rented.

johnnychips

Established Member
Have you thought of Greenland? It’s got virtually no CV cases, so little risk of quarantine on return - that is if they will let you in.

Only £1604 return from London to Nuuk, the capital.

Chester1

Established Member
I am wondering whether I should wait until Thursday to book Saturday to Friday. That way even if my destination country gets removed from the exemption list I would be back in time. Its a crazy travel season. Italy is probably only safe option for a quarantine free Med holiday this month.

I don't care about stuff like wearing a mask indoors as long as most stuff is normal. Its not realistic to expect to find a holiday destination that is same as last year and expect it to be quarantine free on return. The best bet for that is probably a Caribbean country but the quid pro quo of a normal experience during the holiday is a test on arrival.

Howardh

Established Member
I have already pre-booked Formentera (End Sept) and Ibiza (Mid-Oct) and am now resigned to not going. If I do = bonus. One hotel isn't paid for (pay on arrival) and the second one I lose about £60, so that's not much of an issue and that hotel may well give me a voucher towards next year...for the second time!

Biggest issue will be getting a refund off Ryanair; if the government says "no travel except essential" then they will have to refund, but at the moment the guidelines seem ot be you can go - but quarantine on return. So if the flight takes off without me - I lose the cash and I'm not sure if insurers will refund either. No harm in asking.

But to counter this I've booked a break in Brighton again; might as well try to get some late summer sun in early September, and it's mid-week again so nice and quiet. First week of Sept so hopefully the bairns are back in school and out of the way. Will try for a day out on the Isle of Wight by train and...is hovercraft still "flying"?? Trainline suggests so, and gives a day return at £22-ish. Bargain!!

Last edited:

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
But to counter this I've booked a break in Brighton again; might as well try to get some late summer sun in early September, and it's mid-week again so nice and quiet. First week of Sept so hopefully the bairns are back in school and out of the way. Will try for a day out on the Isle of Wight by train and...is hovercraft still "flying"?? Trainline suggests so, and gives a day return at £22-ish. Bargain!!

Yes, the hovercraft is fine - if you book it as a through rail ticket you might want to also reserve a space on the hovercraft, which you can do on the Hovertravel website. In practice I would assume you'd get on except at the busiest times, but it's strongly recommended.

Howardh

Established Member
Yes, the hovercraft is fine - if you book it as a through rail ticket you might want to also reserve a space on the hovercraft, which you can do on the Hovertravel website. In practice I would assume you'd get on except at the busiest times, but it's strongly recommended.
Thanks - wrong forum but whilst on the topic, where do you get the bus from Porstmouth and Southsea station; been looking at streetview and it's not obvious! Also I'm going off-peak,. late morning return mid afternoon.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Thanks - wrong forum but whilst on the topic, where do you get the bus from Porstmouth and Southsea station; been looking at streetview and it's not obvious! Also I'm going off-peak,. late morning return mid afternoon.

Worst comes to worst I'm sure these posts can be moved!

The best stop seems to be the one on Commercial Road - so walk out of the main exit, turn right, and cross the road (Station Street). You'll see a row of shops with the first one being a chicken shop, the stop you need is C which is outside a CEX. If you need any supplies for your journey most of the city centre shops are a little further along Commercial Road.

Worth noting you can also get the Hoverbus from the Hard next to Harbour station - this is probably a simpler interchange. Or depending on your fitness/time/inclination, you can probably walk the connection - the walk from Harbour especially is rather pleasant since it skirts Old Portsmouth.

Butts

Veteran Member

Well I've just returned from a lightning trip to Venice, Italy.

Apparently it's supposed to be quiet at the moment, I'd hate to see it when it's busy !!

Masks outdoors when social distancing is impossible - not true unless there was 100% non-compliance when I was there.

Restaurants and bars were heaving with maskless patrons enjoying the blazing Italian Sunshine.

Howardh

Established Member
Worst comes to worst I'm sure these posts can be moved!

The best stop seems to be the one on Commercial Road - so walk out of the main exit, turn right, and cross the road (Station Street). You'll see a row of shops with the first one being a chicken shop, the stop you need is C which is outside a CEX. If you need any supplies for your journey most of the city centre shops are a little further along Commercial Road.

Worth noting you can also get the Hoverbus from the Hard next to Harbour station - this is probably a simpler interchange. Or depending on your fitness/time/inclination, you can probably walk the connection - the walk from Harbour especially is rather pleasant since it skirts Old Portsmouth.
That will be the "free" connection with my Brighton - Ryde ticket I assume?

Status
Not open for further replies.