• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible rolling stock for Munich-Zurich EC services after electrification of Munich-Lindau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austriantrain

Established Member
But the Rhone Valley is rather the exception to the rule, and hardly any trains on that route tilt.

Since tilt was needed on the Gotthard and multi-voltage trains on all routes, it would have been absurd to buy two different train types.

In any case, tilt has always been the plan for Zurich-Munich and planned time savings could not be reached without. The end-to-end journey time should be reduced to close to 3h30 from December 2021.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gordon

Since tilt was needed on the Gotthard and multi-voltage trains on all routes, it would have been absurd to buy two different train types.

In any case, tilt has always been the plan for Zurich-Munich and planned time savings could not be reached without. The end-to-end journey time should be reduced to close to 3h30 from December 2021.

Indeed. The Allgäu routes are sinuous so tilt here is definitely a bonus

Established Member
Do you maybe have a source about the 101 please, it is the working horse of the IC fleet, and I’m pretty sure it will be for the coming 10-20 years...

The 101s may not be that old but the coaches are - the continuing introduction of ICE-4s and IC2s as well as the new Talgo (ECx) sets will see a lot of them off unfortunately.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The 101s may not be that old but the coaches are - the continuing introduction of ICE-4s and IC2s as well as the new Talgo (ECx) sets will see a lot of them off unfortunately.

101s could be used on fast container services - they might not have the highest torque out of all Deutsche Bahn machines but container trains generally aren't the most arduous, and I'm sure it wouldn't be so hard to regear for 160kmh maximum speed and a little more tractive effort.

On Moderation
101s could be used on fast container services - they might not have the highest torque out of all Deutsche Bahn machines but container trains generally aren't the most arduous, and I'm sure it wouldn't be so hard to regear for 160kmh maximum speed and a little more tractive effort.
Why would DB Cargo bother when they have a plentiful supply of modern TRAXX and Vectron locomotives? Likewise, why would “private” operators bother when they can go to a leasing company for modern traction.

In any case the trend is towards cross-border, multi-system locos that can, say, run throughout from Rotterdam to Italy, hence the success of the Vectron in recent years. A 101 is of no use for that.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Why would DB Cargo bother when they have a plentiful supply of modern TRAXX and Vectron locomotives? Likewise, why would “private” operators bother when they can go to a leasing company for modern traction.

In any case the trend is towards cross-border, multi-system locos that can, say, run throughout from Rotterdam to Italy, hence the success of the Vectron in recent years. A 101 is of no use for that.

Domestic from Bayern/Baden-Württemberg to the ports of Hamburg and Kiel? Yes the Traxx and Vectron are very innovative. I think 101s are passed for much of Austria too. I recall domestic ÖBB Salzburg to Wien services composed of 101s and ÖBB stock in the '00s

On Moderation
Domestic from Bayern/Baden-Württemberg to the ports of Hamburg and Kiel? Yes the Traxx and Vectron are very innovative. I think 101s are passed for much of Austria too. I recall domestic ÖBB Salzburg to Wien services composed of 101s and ÖBB stock in the '00s
DB Cargo have been off-loading their 145s (same age as 101s) and wanted to off-load some 185s and 187s. They’d want 101s like a hole in the head - they want multi-system locos, hence the delivery of 104 Vectrons in the last 18 months or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.