• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT dispute on XC

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyman42

Established Member
Thanks, that has put us all in the picture. I am surprised at the use of the word "scab" if this is a release intended for the public.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Essan

Why do the RMT yet again have to use provocative language ("wrecked" "sabotaged" and, indeed, "scab") - it does them no favours at all IMO. They really do need a better press officer if they want sympathy from the general public.

1e10

Why do the RMT yet again have to use provocative language ("wrecked" "sabotaged" and, indeed, "scab") - it does them no favours at all IMO. They really do need a better press officer if they want sympathy from the general public.

Indeed - it does them nor their members any justice.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
“It is disgraceful that the management at Arriva effectively sabotaged talks on Wednesday that were making progress towards a settlement to this dispute and were instead focussed on dishing out cash bungs to a dangerous scab army of under-cooked management recruits to try and break the action."

That is officially the most intellectually bankrupt piece of moronic crap that I've ever read in a railway press release. And I lived through John Prescott.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
“It is disgraceful that the management at Arriva effectively sabotaged talks on Wednesday that were making progress towards a settlement to this dispute and were instead focussed on dishing out cash bungs to a dangerous scab army of under-cooked management recruits to try and break the action."

That is officially the most intellectually bankrupt piece of moronic crap that I've ever read in a railway press release. And I lived through John Prescott.

The use of the term "Scab" is oh so 1970's. It should be as unacceptable to use that word now as it is to use, for example, racist terms that were also prevalent in that decade.

SPADTrap

Established Member
The use of the term "Scab" is oh so 1970's. It should be as unacceptable to use that word now as it is to use, for example, racist terms that were also prevalent in that decade.

As far as I know it's something you'd walk the plank for if calling someone it. I am surprised and disappointed to see it in a press release which the public will read. It won't garner any support which we desperately need. It's absolutely correct what they're saying but why they use those words is a shame and fully undermining.

Essan

Who do these press releases actually go out to? Because I see the Daily Fail and The Sun making a great headline out of this! I rather get the impression that RMT press releases are for union members only and not public consumption ......

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
If that were what they were, then they would not be from the RMT Press Office would they..?
They would be by members newsletter or internal email.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
One of these days the RMT press releases will cross the line and they will find themselves in court defending a Libel claim. I assume the press releases must go via their legal team to advise on any potentially statements which could end up in hot water.

How many more passengers will be put off travelling by rail due to the actions? I fear passenger growth has peaked and the railways will enter a state of decline [in terms of passenger numbers, like is already seen in the South East]

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
How many more passengers will be put off travelling by rail due to the actions? I fear passenger growth has peaked and the railways will enter a state of decline [in terms of passenger numbers, like is already seen in the South East]

I would agree that they are damaging the reputation of the railway industry, and decreasing the likelihood of a political settlement with their opprobrium. It has got so bad now that I would say they are also damaging the trade union movement and making it more likely that there will support for extra restrictions in future.

Established Member
I personally think that if the RMT are to expect public support in their 5 DOO disputes-getting involved in 3 seperate disputes over pay is VERY unwise indeed.

I've spoken to several people who've been against the Merseyrail strikes as 'they get paid enough already' but when they realise it's over a percieved threat to passenger safety-are in support of the strikes. My thoughts on DOO are fairly well known-and I fear the XC, VTEC and VTWC strikes could be quite damaging to the anti-DOO action across the country.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
17 November 2017

RMT Press Office:

management wreck talks.

abuse of rostering

scab army

luxury hotel accommodation thrown in.

strong-armed

bogus train managers

sabotaged talks on Wednesday

dishing out cash bungs

dangerous scab army of under-cooked management recruits

break the action.

“The action goes ahead and the disruption to services will be solely down to Arriva managements intransigence.”
ENDS

Full house, including the grammatical error in the last sentence.

the sniper

Established Member
Who do these press releases actually go out to? Because I see the Daily Fail and The Sun making a great headline out of this! I rather get the impression that RMT press releases are for union members only and not public consumption ......

Surely they're mainly for the benefit of guys on here? You lot seem seem to be the only people who read them, and devour them you do! :lol:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Surely they're mainly for the benefit of guys on here? You lot seem seem to be the only people who read them, and devour them you do! :lol:

No, they’re press releases. They’ll be sent to a list of interested journalists. They’re primarily for the press. That’s the definition of a press release. Of course, anyone can read it on the website, but the core purpose is to inform the story in the news and try and develop a narrative.

That’s why the RMT’s press team (I envisage a madman with a blindfold on, foaming at the mouth) are bonkers.

D1009

Established Member
No, they’re press releases. They’ll be sent to a list of interested journalists. They’re primarily for the press. That’s the definition of a press release. Of course, anyone can read it on the website, but the core purpose is to inform the story in the news and try and develop a narrative.

That’s why the RMT’s press team (I envisage a madman with a blindfold on, foaming at the mouth) are bonkers.
If they are available on the RMT website, could you provide a link, as I failed to find any mention of them.

If they are available on the RMT website, could you provide a link, as I failed to find any mention of them.

Most definitely on the rmt site under the news section mostly. Just read a few from the last few months. Had a few giggles. The language used is like something from the 1980's. My particular recent favourite is the reference to Richard Branson's luxuary island retreat, but the aggressive posturing and general use of anarchistic language makes me wonder sometimes if it's a delibate parody or satire. Someone else mentioned a blindfolded madman foaming at the mouth. I wonder if it's a very intelligent right of centre workplacement student doing a bit of sabotage.

D1009

Established Member
Most definitely on the rmt site under the news section mostly. Just read a few from the last few months. Had a few giggles. The language used is like something from the 1980's. My particular recent favourite is the reference to Richard Branson's luxuary island retreat, but the aggressive posturing and general use of anarchistic language makes me wonder sometimes if it's a delibate parody or satire. Someone else mentioned a blindfolded madman foaming at the mouth. I wonder if it's a very intelligent right of centre workplacement student doing a bit of sabotage.
Thanks, I must have had a senior moment last time I looked.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Let's face it. RMT at a higher level aren't really interested in getting their members the best deal possible, are they? Either that or they are seriously lacking up there somewhere.

One might be forgiven to think that they are really only interested in maintaining their own stranglehold on things going by their actions recently. The members they claim to represent are simply pawns in their political game. Shame that some of the local reps I have met are actually genuinely nice people who really wanted to do good. The risk of dwindling membership, hence power, should the "modernisation" proposals in the industry be pushed through is probably a bigger concern to them than the risk of their members being maltreated during the process, not that the latter does not happen. That press release mentioned upthread will only reinforce those impressions.

In all honesty, much of their membership only really have one option for effective collective bargaining. While they could opt to join other unions, RMT is often the only realistic option, and the union knows that.

Their leadership need to have a long hard look at themselves. Things will likely end up in a bad way if they continue to behave like that. Unfortunately when that time comes, their members will be the ones suffering, while some of the current leadership will have long gone, enjoying their fat pay cheques whether they left behind a shower or not. One could almost compare them to bank bosses...

the sniper

Established Member
Let's face it. RMT at a higher level aren't really interested in getting their members the best deal possible, are they? Either that or they are seriously lacking up there somewhere.

I would imagine this is a local company council level led dispute seemingly widely supported by the relevant Cross Country members?

Andyh82

Established Member
Not to mention a "£250 bounty" or "luxury accommodation"

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member

One might be forgiven to think that they are really only interested in maintaining their own stranglehold on things going by their actions recently. The members they claim to represent are simply pawns in their political game. Shame that some of the local reps I have met are actually genuinely nice people who really wanted to do good. The risk of dwindling membership, hence power, should the "modernisation" proposals in the industry be pushed through is probably a bigger concern to them than the risk of their members being maltreated during the process, not that the latter does not happen. That press release mentioned upthread will only reinforce those impressions.

In all honesty, much of their membership only really have one option for effective collective bargaining. While they could opt to join other unions, RMT is often the only realistic option, and the union knows that.

Their leadership need to have a long hard look at themselves. Things will likely end up in a bad way if they continue to behave like that. Unfortunately when that time comes, their members will be the ones suffering, while some of the current leadership will have long gone, enjoying their fat pay cheques whether they left behind a shower or not. One could almost compare them to bank bosses...

Surely you're not suggesting that Mick Cash will be 'laughing all the way to the bank?' :lol:

gavin

You watch Northern, Merseyrail, GA, VTWC, SWT and XC be intruceted to walk out on December 24th to make the last minute rush to get home for Christmas become even busier/harder

Established Member
You watch Northern, Merseyrail, GA, VTWC, SWT and XC be intruceted to walk out on December 24th to make the last minute rush to get home for Christmas become even busier/harder
Except Dec24 is likely to be extremely quiet...

sheff1

Established Member
One could almost compare them to bank bosses...

Well you could, although I can't recall seeing results for the election of any bank bosses recently.

RMT members have plenty of opportunities to decide who they want to represent them. Mick Cash was elected to his post for the period until September 2019. Some of the other senior officials are due to stand for re-election (if they want to stand again, of course) before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.