• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible to get a 1st Class outward with a Standard open return leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Optimo

Sorry if this seems like a daft question:

I would like to get buy an advance open return ticket from London Euston [[stn]EUS[/stn]] to Glasgow Central [[stn]GLC[/stn]], but with a First Class outward journey. The open return would give me a bit of flexibility without being too costly, and the First Class would give me a bit of room as I'm traveling on Xmas eve.

Is it possible to have different classes on the same 'open return' ticket?

Am trying to use the EastCoast.co.uk online, which doesn't appear to allow it. Is this the kind of thing I could get if I went to a BR station to purchase?

tvm

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Advance and open don't really go together as an open ticket can be bought on the day of travel and advance tickets are fixed to the train booked on.

First open singles from Euston to Glasgow are:

£131.35 route YORK
£136.95 route VIRGIN TRAINS ONLY
£139.60 route ANY PERMITTED

You would then have to buy another ticker for the other direction either advance or walk-up fare.

Cheap advance first class tickets start at £32.35 (for travel on Virgin) but will offer no flexibility.

John @ home

Established Member
Is it possible to have different classes on the same 'open return' ticket?
No, but on this occasion it is possible to meet your needs in another way.

On Saturday 24 December, buy your £114.70 (or Railcard £75.70) Standard Off-Peak Return London - Glasgow and board any Glasgow train at Euston. (By the way, is your whole journey really Euston - Glasgow or are there also local legs at one or both ends? It's often cheaper to include them in your ticket.)

Sit in any unreserved First Class seat. When the member of staff asks for your ticket, show it and ask for a Weekend First Upgrade. This costs £15 for this journey.

If you are returning not later than 2 January, Weekend First Upgrade is likely to be available on all Virgin and East Coast trains from Glasgow to London until that date, even during the week. It costs £25 for that journey on East Coast.

philjo

Established Member
Christmas Eve is a Saturday so off-peak returns would be valid & get a weekend 1st upgrade (but may be advisable to book in advance as the trains will be busy that day) - on Virgin the Weekend 1st upgrade is £15.

Optimo

Thanks very much everyone, I did mean that I wanted to purchase the tickets in advance (ahead of time) rather than an actual 'Advance' ticket. Apols for the confusion.

I'll go with the standard off-peak return £114.70 and try for the off-peak first upgrade I think - but I cannot find where to buy that £15 upgrade ahead of time? Virgin shows it as being on onboard upgrade. Is there a way to purchase the upgrade in advance for the initial EUS departure? I agree, it might be busy on Xmas eve and the thought of sitting in a vestibule for 5 hrs gives me the shivers...

Also, John @ home, what kind of railcard would give me that discount? (Am not a senior/youngster, so assumed there's no discount for 36 year olds!)

Many thanks

SS4

Established Member
Thanks very much everyone, I did mean that I wanted to purchase the tickets in advance (ahead of time) rather than an actual 'Advance' ticket. Apols for the confusion.

I'll go with the standard off-peak return £114.70 and try for the off-peak first upgrade I think - but I cannot find where to buy that £15 upgrade ahead of time? Virgin shows it as being on onboard upgrade. Is there a way to purchase the upgrade in advance for the initial EUS departure? I agree, it might be busy on Xmas eve and the thought of sitting in a vestibule for 5 hrs gives me the shivers...

Also, John @ home, what kind of railcard would give me that discount? (Am not a senior/youngster, so assumed there's no discount for 36 year olds!)

Many thanks

The Virgin website will let you. AFAIK the 1st option will be £15 more than the STD and that is because of the weekend upgrade. The ticket should print off as a SVR with the return leg valid for one month rather than two SVHs
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Many thanks

You won't be able to get a railcard in this case I'm afraid

Optimo

The Virgin website will let you. AFAIK the 1st option will be £15 more than the STD and that is because of the weekend upgrade. The ticket should print off as a SVR with the return leg valid for one month rather than two SVHs

Sweet candy! Cheers. I've always booked through EastCoast.co.uk just because their site is a bit tidier - they don't show that kind of upgrade (I thought all sites used the same engine, obv not).

Thanks all, got it!

Status
Not open for further replies.