• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible to 'sleep' at Waverley overnight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerheid

Established Member
Sounds like the only thing that changed was the gender. Which part of town did you move to?

Broughton. Does it still have that reputation? This was about 2002ish. I thought it was better as there was less general yobbishness than at Leith Links, but then there was a murder in a close way too near me!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nicholaswood

I am sure there is an amusingly decrepit bus station somewhere within 5 (or 10, or 5,000) miles.
St Andrews Bus Station, which is definitely within 500m, let alone 5 miles, has recently been rebuilt (within the last 15 years or so), but feels as modern as a brand new bus station! I can't say it's particularly welcoming to spend the night but it's a damned sight better than roughing it!;)

1B85

What time does your friend arrive into Edinburgh Waverley? Is there a possibility he/she may be able to make a train to Glasgow Central?

I'm not sure - but he knows it will be too late for his last train. Why would you suggest he go to Glasgow?

sonic2009

Established Member
I'm not sure - but he knows it will be too late for his last train. Why would you suggest he go to Glasgow?

Because there is an 0340 coach from Buchanan Bus Station to Aberdeen arrival time 0640, 2 hours earlier than the first train and also the cost of the coach ticket maybe the same as a hotel.

1B85

Because there is an 0340 coach from Buchanan Bus Station to Aberdeen arrival time 0640, 2 hours earlier than the first train and also the cost of the coach ticket maybe the same as a hotel.

Thanks - I shall let him know.

SPADTrap

Established Member
It's all over. Like most cities. Look up if you are ever walking down Lothian Road late one evening.

A colleague's daughter ended up living in a flat above one on Lothian Road, her father was absolutely outraged - but she said it was the safest she'd ever felt living in Edinburgh. The stairs were always freshly painted, they had a cleaner in twice a day to keep things spotless, the main door was never broken and there was a bouncer on shift 24 hours a day who was happy to act as a concierge for other residents.

Oddly enough, after her boyfriend broke the neck of his femur skiing, she ended up hiring one of the gentlemen herself one night for a Ceilidh. 20% "Friends and family" discount + they through in complimentary kilt hire (apparently it's a bit of a fetish for the tourists). Had an amazing night.

If the chap is really stuck, could always download a dating app for a one night stand.

Some of the things shared on this forum are..Well..I'm not even sure :lol:

mark-h

St Andrews Bus Station, which is definitely within 500m, let alone 5 miles, has recently been rebuilt (within the last 15 years or so), but feels as modern as a brand new bus station! I can't say it's particularly welcoming to spend the night but it's a damned sight better than roughing it!;)
Closed between Midnight and 4:30AM (the late night services to/from Glasgow stop in a nearby street rather than use the bus station).

IainG81

I would like to wait at a station that's unmanned at night, normally with a side gate to get in and out and you could probably sleep on the platform bench and not be desturbed by anyone. Central stations don't like people hanging around who aren't about to travel especially overnight when there's few staff somewhere on the main line there should be things happening as well.

robbeech

Established Member
If they already have tickets, then you could get a hostel bed for the night cheaper than a ticket to Glasgow.

deltic08

On Moderation
I don't think he will have any trouble on Waverley station. Just before DB stopped hauling the Caledonian Sleepers I went to Waverley to watch and photo the southbound Highland sleeper. After it had left, I found that I was locked in so waited on the station for the arrival of the northbound to photo that. I was not troubled by anybody or thrown off.

Status
Not open for further replies.