• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

possible use for DSB IC4 after DSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
Knowing that the troubled fleet will be replaced by 2024 alongside with the IC3 unit so I was wondering where the IC4 can be displaced to after that

DANISH State Railways (DSB) announced on October 24 that four manufacturers have prequalified to supply at least 100 trains to replace the operators’ diesel fleet.

The 25kV ac 50Hz trains will replace DSB’s ageing IC3 DMUs and IR4 EMUs, as well as the ill-fated fleet of AnsaldoBreda IC4 DMUs.

DSB ordered 82 four-car IC4 and 23 IC2 two-car sets from the Italian manufacturer in 2000 and the first trains were due to enter service in 2003, but the trains were beset by technical problems and introduction was heavily delayed....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SHD

cookies.png
Probably their best possible reincarnation: a special series of stylish aluminium Danish biscuit tins

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
There's the story of the IC4 that wound up in the hands of a certain Muammar al-Gaddafi thanks to one Silvio Berlusconi, but that's a story for another time.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Germany's ICE TD went to the scrap. Nobody wanted them. The first ICE class to leave regular service and almost wholey scrapped.
I asume IC4 might have the same fate.

popeter45

Germany's ICE TD went to the scrap. Nobody wanted them. The first ICE class to leave regular service and almost wholey scrapped.
I asume IC4 might have the same fate.
the ICE TD was a shame, same era as the 221 and its electric cousin the ICE T even uses same tilt tech of the 221's

hexagon789

Veteran Member
ATC from Romania got some IC2s

the Avanti 221s may be needed by XC in case of extra capacity as well as replacing the HSTs alongside with the 222s cascaded from East Midlands Railway

ATC being a sort of open access outfit and probably looking for something cheap to obtain. I gather the IC4s are already over 70% devalued compared to purchase cost.

My honest expectation is DSB will offer them for sale but no national operator will buy them, put it that way.

RichJF

Didn't the V250 trainsets come from the same manufacturer? Look how awful they were.
Might be symptomatic of the company rather than the specific trains themselves.

JonasB

Remove the engines and interior and use the body shells as artificial reefs? Demand for higher speed DMUs is pretty limited after all.

JonasB

Didn't the V250 trainsets come from the same manufacturer? Look how awful they were.
Might be symptomatic of the company rather than the specific trains themselves.

Correct, they also built new trams for Gothenburg that haven't been working as they should.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Any railway that is intersted in them with ormal gauge or wtih such gauge that it possible to change easily.
But I think the nr of such is quite small. Best scores seem to me from some private enterprise trying to set up some competition
And in East-Europe they are always willing to take over old but still modern to them stock and refurbish it at lttile cost-but then I guess these units

superalbs

Established Member
Having had the misfortune to travel on the IC4 a few times, I can only agree that they should not be inflicted on anyone else. The whole story makes interesting reading in the archives of Ingenioren, the Danish Engineers Magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.