• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Post Lockdown re-opening dates for heritage railways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bessie

Mid Hants Railway to re-open on 12 April. Tickets to go on sale from 1 April

341o2

Established Member
Gartell Light Railway currently has no plans to reopen. Due to the size of the carriages there will be difficulties with social distancing

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Don't know if it has been put further up thread but KWVR intends to reopen on the 17th April.

WAB

Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railway from 1st of May – 23rd of July, booking online.

Our plans revolve around a tiered system, whereby we would initially introduce a basic service and then as restrictions are eased, announce further services across the Railway.

The priority for all these services will be to keep all staff, volunteers and visitors safe. Note: Your group must consist of people who are in your bubble and who you are permitted to travel together with according to Welsh Government guidance applicable at time of travel.

We are excited to announce our new set of services for this Spring/Summer:

Woodland Wanderer is a heritage service to Tan-y-Bwlch similar to the one we ran last year. It is great for families and those with dogs, giving an hour break for a walk and refreshments. It goes to Tan-y-Bwlch where there is a tearoom caffi and some lovely woodland walks. We will offer between one and six services per day using our heritage carriages, suitably adapted for safe travel.

Mountain Prince is an extended version of the Woodland Wanderer. We will be travelling up to Dduallt and around the spiral to Barn Cutting, giving some great views and there will be a heritage diesel added to the back of the train from Tan-y-Bwlch station for some fun traction. This stops at Tan-y-Bwlch on the return to give time for refreshments. We can offer up to five services per day.

Gelert Explorer is the Welsh Highland Railway service from Caernarfon to Beddgelert, complete with its hamper service and time to explore the village. It is a complete day out and will run up to four days per week. We have invested in some rather nice Perspex screens between the seating bays for your comfort. It will also boast a Pullman observation carriage on each end for the first time! Yes, that’s right – we intend to turn one round!

Glaslyn Venturer is a Welsh Highland Railway service running later in the year on the southern end of the line, from Porthmadog to Beddgelert, using modern carriages and also with an Observation carriage at each end. This too will have Perspex dividers.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Any news on the East Lancs Railway? or did I miss it's announcement somehow.
Reopening from 1st May, with the pubs on the platforms at Bury Bolton Street and Rawtenstall serving outside only initially:
The East Lancashire Railway is thrilled to announce that, following the most recent government announcements, we are preparing to open our doors once again.

Standard services will be running from the 1st of May onwards and will see a variety of both steam and diesel trains. This isn’t all, we will also be re-opening our café and pubs, so you will finally be able to enjoy a drink on the platform as you watch the world go by! Safety is of paramount importance so we will be following our Covid-Safe guidelines to the letter.

Tickets for standard services can be purchased in advance here, prices are being held until further notice so now is a great time to book.

paul1609

Established Member
At the K &ESR we've just announced our passenger figures for 2020 15,514 down from 86,925 in 2019. Thats around the numbers we would normally get for Santa Specials. You can imagine the effect that's had on our finances even with the bailouts we've received, here's hoping for a better 2021 for the whole heritage industry.

Peter C

Established Member
Apologies for posting in a thread which hasn't seen new posts in a while, but I just thought it might be kick-starting the thread, seeing as heritage lines have started to re-open. How many of the people on here have had their first heritage railway journey today, or are having a journey soon?

-Peter

Crawley Ben

Apologies for posting in a thread which hasn't seen new posts in a while, but I just thought it might be kick-starting the thread, seeing as heritage lines have started to re-open. How many of the people on here have had their first heritage railway journey today, or are having a journey soon?

-Peter

Got my ticket for the 14:20 service at the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway this weekend, can’t wait!

Cheers

Ben

Bessie

Didcot Railway Centre on Weds 14th and then on Thurs 15th I'm at the Chinnor and Princes Risborough railway on 14:30 service

Spamcan81

-Peter

Took a trip on the NNR today. Very enjoyable day out. Off to the GWSR on Sunday for a second steam fix.

cav1975

-Peter
The Isle of Wight Steam Railway ran a two train service today marking the 50th anniversary of its first trains. Regular services restart tomorrow (Tuesday 13th). Unfortunately Island Line is still closed for rebuilding so there were no electric trains to meet at Smallbrook Junction. I plan to travel next week.

The Isle of Wight Steam Railway ran a two train service today marking the 50th anniversary of its first trains. Regular services restart tomorrow (Tuesday 13th). Unfortunately Island Line is still closed for rebuilding so there were no electric trains to meet at Smallbrook Junction. I plan to travel next week.
Whilst Island Line is shut there is an hourly direct bus from Ryde Esplanade to Havenstreet. Details on the IOWSR website. Alternatively there is a thrice hourly bus service to and from Wootton station.

Yesterday was rather special with both trains having no vehicle newer than 1924. Utterly immaculate as well. The principal guest was Sir Peter Hendy, Chairman of Network Rail.

Bessie

I enjoyed my trip to Didcot today. I went on my own and on their short demo line I had my own Covid secure compartment. Talking to one of the volunteers they said there was now great demand for these vintage coaches due to having compartments only.

mjc

Foxfield Railway in the Staffordshire Moorlands has now brought reopening forward to Sunday 23rd May, with bookings available online now for standard steam heritage service, Pacer Rail Group's 142055 and Victorian experience aboard the Knotty Coach Trust's coaches.

Tanfield are re-opening as of tomorrow [17/4/21] with a restricted pre-book partial service running from East Tanfield to Andrews House [Marley Hill] with out stopping at Causey Arch, or running onto Sunnisides. Unfortunately the engine shed/yard area at Marley Hill is closed to the public at present [not sure why though].

simple simon

Not a preserved railway but more of a railtour type of service which will use steam traction and older passenger coaches on Network Rail metals...

London to Windsor by Steam Train, starting 1st June 2021 (until 14th September). As in 2019 there will be three journeys a day with passengers needing to make their own arrangements for their return travel.

These trains will run every Tuesday, but unlike 2019 they will depart from London's Victoria station.

--------------------

re: visiting museums, preserved steam railways / transport centres; I am hoping to do this this year 2021, but whilst I will wear a facemask at a preserved railway's site and on their trains for as long as it is legally required on normal public transport trains & buses I will avoid anywhere that wants me to show covid etc., certificates. It would require me to go too far off-topic to explain why I say this.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
From Ryde Bus Station it is Southern Vectis service 9 to Newport via Staplers: XX.05, XX.25 and XX.45 (Sundays XX.15 and XX.45) from Stand A (NOT the 9 via Medina). The Steam Railway stop is the second one after the bus turns left at the top of Wootton High Street. It is called Steam Railway and is right by the car park.

The RRB to Havenstreet also goes from somewhere in or around the bus station: ask to find out exactly where. You need a National Rail ticket to Smallbrook for this.

Vespa

Established Member
I enjoyed my trip to Didcot today. I went on my own and on their short demo line I had my own Covid secure compartment. Talking to one of the volunteers they said there was now great demand for these vintage coaches due to having compartments only.
Is the 7ft gauge Brunel train still running at Didcot ?

Roger B

I did an Anglia Plus day ranger last Thursday, and while I was at Sheringham, I thought I'd take a trip on the North Norfolk Railway. I was astonished to learn that the minimum fare for a return to Holt was £40 - which was the charge for a whole compartment, because of covid. There weren't many people about - perhaps sufficient to occupy the compartments of at most two carriages of the five / six carriage train in the platform, so I suggested that perhaps I might pay the NNR additional adult fare of £10, and the railway might view it as £10 gained rather than £30 lost. No, minimum fare for a single adult is £40 was the reply. So I reluctantly gave up the idea of travelling, and asked if I might go on the platform to view the train's departure. Only with a valid ticket to travel came back the response - in other words they wanted £40 just for a platform ticket. Needless to say I didn't take him up on his kind offer. I would suggest that the NNR isn't doing itself any favours - it doesn't seem to be very welcoming for visitors. I'd have thought they'd welcome whatever revenue they could generate.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I did an Anglia Plus day ranger last Thursday, and while I was at Sheringham, I thought I'd take a trip on the North Norfolk Railway. I was astonished to learn that the minimum fare for a return to Holt was £40 - which was the charge for a whole compartment, because of covid. There weren't many people about - perhaps sufficient to occupy the compartments of at most two carriages of the five / six carriage train in the platform, so I suggested that perhaps I might pay the NNR additional adult fare of £10, and the railway might view it as £10 gained rather than £30 lost. No, minimum fare for a single adult is £40 was the reply. So I reluctantly gave up the idea of travelling, and asked if I might go on the platform to view the train's departure. Only with a valid ticket to travel came back the response - in other words they wanted £40 just for a platform ticket. Needless to say I didn't take him up on his kind offer. I would suggest that the NNR isn't doing itself any favours - it doesn't seem to be very welcoming for visitors. I'd have thought they'd welcome whatever revenue they could generate.
I don't think there is anything wrong with heritage railways offering whole compartments, but they really are digging their own graves if they insist on only selling whole compartments.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I don't think there is anything wrong with heritage railways offering whole compartments, but they really are digging their own graves if they insist on only selling whole compartments.
I agree. Need to have a better compromise of fares. I know the KWVR charges £15 for a single person in a compartment but steadily it becomes less per person as you get higher up to £50 for a family of 6.

This balances need for income (i.e one person in a whole compartment does reduce revenue) but also being appropriate.

reddragon

Established Member
The GWSR offers whole compartments at a higher cost of £50-90 mask free (and they seem to fill) and single seats in open coaches at lower prices of £25 with masks on and they seem to be the last to fill.

Perhaps the NNR need to do a similar option?

Status
Not open for further replies.