• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Postal Museum and Mail Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple simon

I visited the Postal Museum and went for a ride on the Mail Rail tube train yesterday, Tuesday 19th September 2017.

I thought that what the Post Office has done was fantastic and give it 9.9 / 10. My only reason for not giving it 10 / 10 was the brevity of the train ride. A longer ride would have been even better!

The Postal Museum has two sites located at Mount Pleasant, which unfortunately is a London backwater in so far as despite its location it is remote from any railway services. Its about 15 minutes walk from Kings Cross St Pancras station.

One of the sites is about post and telephone, the other site is about Mail Rail. Mostly the museum exhibits at the Mail Rail site are about the deep level tube line under London but the mainline postal service has not been forgotten. Visitors even have a chance to practise sorting 'letters' inside a swaying simulation of a former sorting carriage.

The highlight of my visit was the ride on a converted Mail Rail tube train. The journey passes through several stations where audio-visual film displays are shown on the platform walls. There is also a simulated power cut - where the train comes to a halt and for a few seconds everyone is in pitch black. Although the Post Office railway used a third rail power supply system these trains are battery powered.

Below are two links to tweets of mine which include photographs taken during my visit - at present I do not have any other images online.

One shows a train at the station and the other is a still image from moving video showing the view. The trains have clear glass (or perhaps similar material, such as Perspex) covers which are closed during the journey as these afford maximum visibility whilst also preventing passengers from touching the inside of the tunnels.

https://twitter.com/citytransportin/status/910235773110292480

https://twitter.com/citytransportin/status/910234552840409088

A link to the Postal Museum's website. https://www.postalmuseum.org/

Simon

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Thanks, I'm thinking of going, good to know it is interesting.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It looks really interesting. Will try and visit it at some point.
As above thanks for posting it.

furlong

Established Member
The highlight of my visit was the ride on a converted Mail Rail tube train.

Two new purpose-built trains at something like a quarter of a million pounds each.

The journey passes through several stations
Two platforms of one station (Mount Pleasant, naturally).

Although the Post Office railway used a third rail power supply system these trains are battery powered.

There were a couple of battery locos for engineering staff - you can squeeze into the driver's seat of one in the museum.

For £250 two of you can walk the complete route of the ride through the tunnels and take photos.

Last edited:

simple simon

Thanks Furlong - I did not realise that the trains were purpose built.

I did wonder about the station, after all the entire trip was too brief to travel very far!

Despite the brevity of the ride, for anyone considering visiting this unique railway, I'd say that its well worth going.

Oh and make sure that you also visit the mock-up of a letter sorting train and try to beat the clock sorting the mail... its loads of fun!

Before going to the Mail Rail site I went to the other building and saw the historical displays. I've never seen a five wheel cycle before! Alas I'm just old enough to remember the button A and button B coinbox public telephones.

Simon

Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
Two new purpose-built trains at something like a quarter of a million pounds each.

I was a little disappointed when I found that out, I was hoping they would be modified versions of the actual trains previously used by the Royal Mail.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'd just like to point out that Mount Pleasant is a not unpleasant walk from Farringdon Station on the Met, Circle, H&C and Thameslink lines, soon to be joined by Crossrail, so not quite the backwater! There are frequent buses on the 63 too from both Farringdon and St Pancras/Kings Cross.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I visited there last week and found it a fascinating experience - the exhibits were well explained, there were plenty of interactive areas and the ride was good - but not as long as I would have liked.
Having seen odd photographs of the system before I found it sad that it has been effectively mothballed - given the congestion above ground!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Just visiting at present. An excellent attraction and even on a Monday afternoon quite busy with plenty of 'normals'

You don't have to stick to your original booked train if there is room you can get on one before.

Once you have done the ride don't forget to sit in the accessibile viewing area where you can see it all again on a big screen if you missed anything.

We had an interlock issue towards the end which caused the train to stop very quickly. The young lady driving handled it all very quickly and professionally.

I would suggest sitting in the seat at the rear when you first get on for a good view along the track.

The walk from Farringdon is easy and can be combined with Exmouth Street Market and the nice gardens at Wilmington Sq on the way. A few decent pubs on the way and loads of good places to eat on Exmouth St.

Status
Not open for further replies.