• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Posted a Court Summons this morning - what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haywain

Veteran Member
From what I can gander they've been handed a 'fixed penalty notice'? But this issued only after someone's details have been taken by an RPI. I am therefore assuming the OP was not issued with any fine at the station. An RPI took their details and the OP was told they would get a letter explaining the course of action.
A fixed penalty notice, in Northern terms, is something that is issued on a discretionary basis after a person has been reported for potential prosecution. The OP did subsequently receive a letter.

At the same time, he was asked to purchase a ticket to cover the journey he made from Kirkham & Wesham and was going to make onto Manchester.
All we know is that the OP was advised to buy a ticket in order to continue their journey. It is not clear that the RPI advised purchasing a ticket from Kirkham. In any event, the offence is complete regardless of buying a ticket for the journey after the even.

Although it is very common for fines or court summons to be issued close to the 6 month limitation period (6 months after the incident occurred) as this is the cut-off point for taking any suspected fare evader to magistrates.
The 6 month limit is for the case to be laid before the court, not for the summons to be issued or for the case to be heard.

And yes I always advise people to be wary about what they say to RPIs. Even "no comment" or a shrug of the shoulder would suffice in many cases.
I find that saying "Good morning/afternoon/evening" and presenting a valid ticket suffices in every case. Being uncooperative is rarely a good idea, and I would suggest that the same applies to listening to your advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
Does anyone know how long they usually take to respond to emails?

On Monday they said they'd investigate and be in touch shortly but I am yet to hear back.

Thanks

Normally a few weeks

najaB

Veteran Member
Also if I am fined in court, how much are they likely to fine me?
That depends entirely on how much you earn. IIRC a Byelaw offence is a Band A fine - so between 25% and 75% of your weekly income (normally 50%), with a 1/3 reduction if you plead guilty rather than having the matter proceed to court. Then there will be costs (typically around £150), plus the outstanding fare on top.

Bill530

That depends entirely on how much you earn. IIRC a Byelaw offence is a Band A fine - so between 25% and 75% of your weekly income (normally 50%), with a 1/3 reduction if you plead guilty rather than having the matter proceed to court. Then there will be costs (typically around £150), plus the outstanding fare on top.

How would this be adapted for a student? I recently quit my job to focus on university and then going away for summer so technically I am unemployed. While employed I earned rougly 450£ a month.

Haywain

Veteran Member
With two offences there will be two fines, won't there? But only one lot of costs, victim surcharge and fare (compensation).

Bill530

Unfortunately I have just recieved a response from a prosecutor and they are refusing to settle the matter out of court. Due to 'the nature of the incident'. Can not believe it I am absolutely gutted. Will this affect me being able to travel to America/Asia etc in the future?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Unfortunately I have just recieved a response from a prosecutor and they are refusing to settle the matter out of court. Due to 'the nature of the incident'. Can not believe it I am absolutely gutted.
Exactly which date in November did this incident occur?

furlong

Established Member
Abusive or offensive language, I might expect to have a negative effect on the nature of an incident.

js1000

I find that saying "Good morning/afternoon/evening" and presenting a valid ticket suffices in every case. Being uncooperative is rarely a good idea, and I would suggest that the same applies to listening to your advice.
No need to be a smart arse. We've got enough of them on here who needlessly turn advice forums into arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.