• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poster Of The Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condor7

Originally Posted by Paul Sidorczuk View Post
Well, thank you for that....

I was about to nominate myself for the title of of "Most Pedantic Old Fogey"....

Not sure who should be nominated for that. By the way you put "of of" ;)

Has this gone over everyone's head or did you not think it funny?
I made myself smile. :D

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

table38

Established Member
Didn't the forum used to have an "annual awards" thread at the end of the year? Or am I going senile or getting confused with another forum :-?

Isn't there a black-tie gala dinner every year where the "Railies" are awarded? I think some guy called Anton Dec is hosting it this year.

SS4

Established Member
Have they been censored due to the ineptitude of those they refer to, or the compiler, or perhaps a combination of both .

Knight's Cross with Swords and Diamonds :p

Is that given to Grammar Nazis? :p (note the apostrophe now in Knight's ;))

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Didn't the forum used to have an "annual awards" thread at the end of the year? Or am I going senile or getting confused with another forum

We did but we've not done it in a few years. I suppose if there was sufficient interest we might be persuaded to revive it at the end of this year.

Oswyntail

Established Member

• The Flogging A Dead Horse Award (for the person who keeps offering up the same solution to a variety of problems or keep complaining about the same things on a variety of threads)....
In a friendly spirit, may I nominate Radamfi, who seems to have advocated not having children as the solution to just about everything (Now just let me find how that addresses pacers.....)

bussnapperwm

Established Member
In a friendly spirit, may I nominate Radamfi, who seems to have advocated not having children as the solution to just about everything (Now just let me find how that addresses pacers.....)

By not having children there will be less people on pacers in 20 years time meaning that everyone will be able to have a seat!

Clip

Established Member
can i be nominated for the angry, sarcastic and mildy abusive section please? ;)

No you can't. That's mine.

Thanks midnight flyer but being forthright means I get reported by those who don't like that and apparently,in a first for forums, gets me put under 'investigation'.

Still one vote from you will do me and me ego ☺

The Planner

Veteran Member
Pfffft, not me, plenty on here that know more, especially on the dark side that is 3rd rail. There are plenty of topics where I sometimes itch to post what really is occurring though that can be somewhat career limiting....

I actually think this could be the first time I've posted in General Discussion.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Welcome! We have snacks* and pleasant conversation** :lol:

*No snacks are available.
**Conversation liable to be vicious and unfriendly.

Crossover

Established Member
Welcome! We have snacks* and pleasant conversation** :lol:

*No snacks are available.
**Conversation liable to be vicious and unfriendly.

Surely "Snacks will be available subject to availability" would be better - afterall, it is how many TOCs get away with a substandard FC offering!

LowLevel

Established Member
I'd 4th Mr Sidorczuk for poster of the year - it's like being in a very eloquent English lesson that I'm reading on my telephone :) Also tongue out of cheek entirely it's extremely refreshing to see a gentleman of your age so interested in continuing to expand your knowledge of various subjects, while also sharing a life time of experience. A most productive contributor.

Honourable mention to Mr Techniquest for his very entertaining trip reports - his enthusiasm is infectious.

Butts

Veteran Member
Maybe Butts will be along soon to see if the drinks trolley will be doing the rounds too :P

Moi !!! - I'm teetotal unless it's free on Virgin East/West 1st Class:p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Nah, he's too busy smoking down at the uncovered end of the forum.

They are becoming harder to find....I'm just praying Abellio or whatever they are called don't fall into line with the England and Wales "Platform Bans"

Emyr

A dishonourable mention for being prolific in the creation of threads which pose easily answerable questions to:

Josh********

Clip

Established Member
A dishonourable mention for being prolific in the creation of threads which pose easily answerable questions to:

Josh********

I dont think thats really fair on the lad. This forum has lots of old closed posts and the search function is older than Paul S so doesnt work so well and as a brand new enthusiast to trains he should be allowed to ask questions - many of which you and most others know the answers too.

He doesnt. Answer them properly and dont take the **** out of him for being new to this. Unless you have full knowledge of every aspect of the railway from cleanign to ticketing to building both track and trains including the torque that certain bolts need to be turned to on every train going then you can possibly slate someone else.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Some of the best posters aren’t necessarily hugely prolific posters, so may not get the attention that someone posting a hundred times a week does. Shame, as there’s always something to learn from people like... (in alphabetical order to avoid bruising any egos!)

61653 HTAFC
Ainsworth74
AM9
Anvil 1984
Bald Rick
Chief Planner
Clip
Class 377/5
Edwin m
Flamingo
Jimm
Joseph Locke
LDECRexile
Leki
LNGW Joint
Midnight Flyer
najaB
Pumbaa
Sprinterguy
SWT passenger
The Grand Wazoo
The Planner
Watcher Zero
Wolfie

I’ve not always agreed with them, we’ve maybe crossed swords in the past (or they’ve put me in my place on subjects where my knowledge was a little lacking), but they are people whose knowledge and opinions I log onto the Forum for (and mean I don’t need to buy every magazine in Smiths each month to find out what’s going on!).

In terms of “best newcomer” (which such awards sometimes have a category for) then I’d recommend Dale Cooper and lejog.

I would nominate tbtc for making the longest posts with dozens of replies sometimes. Which are hard to quote and is usually highly negative

Interesting :lol:

There’s been dozens of posts on this thread, but only one person has taken the time to directly criticise another poster... does this say more about me or does this say more about you?

I have made 18.036 postings on "The next station is" quiz...:oops:

Were any other poster to make such a claim then I know who'd be along to question them over the "point zero three six" post that they made...

the whole NW electrification lot for their tireless efforts to document the exact installation date of every piece of OHLE infrastructure north of Manchester. The two threads they have make for a brilliant read

Agreed. That’s an excellent example of where this Forum works really well. Lots of people chipping in with their time, contributing various amounts to make a mosaic of a large project. If there were to be a “Thread Of The Year” category then I’d nominate this shared effort to recognise the hard work and dedication of the main people involved in it.

Makes me wish we had such facilities fifty years ago, to record newly built fleets of diesel locomotives entering service/ the final days of closed branchlines etc – whilst some people were there to record things, the lack of a central database to share these things meant individual efforts/ knowledge went unrecognised.

The collaboration on the Chat Moss thread, the willingness to share information/ pictures, the shared appreciation/ frustrations have been really interesting to read (as an outsider). It’s the kind of thread you can read when you need to remember that enthusiasts are meant to be “enthusiastic” about things, showing the appreciation that people have for this strange hobby of ours, showing how much more can be achieved when people work together.

Compare and contrast to most threads about north west England, which are full of moaning/ “north v south” arguments, scornful comments and other petty grudges (e.g. the amount of scorn over the last couple of years about Northern Rail not providing a DMU to run on the Todmorden Chord, when Network Rail hadn’t even finished building the line or finalising the signals...)...

...you get the impression that a significant number of “enthusiasts” have little actual enthusiasm for the railway and are only interested in it because it gives them a chance to sound scornful and roll their eyes at “so called experts”/ bleat on about “common sense” and how good things were fifty years ago. In their eyes all modern trains are all rubbish, modern engineering is rubbish, those in charge don’t know what they are doing... I wonder why so many people with such views bother logging on to an enthusiasts forum when they seem to dislike the railway so much?

Ideally we’d have more threads like the Chat Moss one, where people stick to facts/ sharing information/ collaborating and fewer of the petty frothing about how hard done by everyone’s local line is (or Crayonista stuff, daft ideas for 442s, immature name calling about “DafT” / “Vermin Vommiters”/ “Worst Group”/ Nodding Donkeys”) etc etc but I appreciate I’m in a minority here!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Were any other poster to make such a claim then I know who'd be along to question them over the "point zero three six" post that they made.

I knew that I could count upon you to fully scrutinise the said posting. As ever, I am reminded of the song that was sung by Barbara Dickson and Elaine Page..."I know him so well"

The use of point rather than comma was made during an associated study of the decimal system in Indian Mathematics that had an input by the Persian mathematician Al-Khwarizmi, taken from the Latin translation of his work on the Indian numerals, which introduced the decimal position system to the Western world. Perhaps my posting will suffice as a tribute to him.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Best thread of the year without a doubt for me has to be the Dawlish diversion one. Wish it was still going really.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Best thread of the year without a doubt for me has to be the Dawlish diversion one. Wish it was still going really.

That's just because you want to have another platform to beat the drum for Okehampton! :lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's just because you want to have another platform to beat the drum for Okehampton! :lol:

You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment ;)
Iam sure the 2015 version is due to start soon;)

Who knows - perhaps if we have another episode of severe weather <D
I knew that I could count upon you to fully scrutinise the said posting. As ever, I am reminded of the song that was sung by Barbara Dickson and Elaine Page..."I know him so well"

Classic tune, which I shall be youtubeing later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.