• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Posture tips for laptop users

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I believe there may be more people than ever before using laptops for longer than usual, and it can be tempting to simply open up the laptop and start working. This is OK for short periods, such as while travelling, but not on a longer term basis.

There are various websites with tips on how to avoid problems such as back problems and repetetive strain injuries, such as:

Here are some ways you can make your laptop safer and more comfortable to use:
  • use a separate keyboard and mouse so the laptop can be put on a stand and the screen opened at eye level
  • use your laptop on a stable base where there is support for your arms, and not on your lap
  • take regular breaks. If you're moving, there's a lot less stress on your muscles and joints
  • sit properly with lower back support, and ensure other desk equipment is within reach
  • get into good habits before the aching starts. Neck, shoulder and back problems gradually build up over time

Rather than use a laptop stand, you may prefer to use a separate screen. Monitors are relatively cheap these days and you could consider a second hand one if on a tight budget.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Some useful tips here, I already use my laptop raised up a little with a separate keyboard, I'll raise it even further and see if that improves it...yep that's more comfortable!

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Great advice above.

If you can't afford or accommodate a monitor and will be using the laptop for an extended period of time, then a stand to bring it to eye level and a keyboard and mouse is essential for comfortable home working. If you're Zooming it will also place the camera at eye level and give a much better video experience. I use an external webcam on top of my monitor for the same reason.

My vote is also for a trackball to minimise wrist strain. They do seem to induce a Marmite type response, though it makes for a very comfortable days work with less desk real-estate required to move around the mouse. I have a Logitech M570 and the function buttons can be set - mine close down browser windows. If you must mouse, the Logitech MX Anywhere series are phenomenal as they work on just about any surface, including glass.

PeterC

Established Member
Great advice above.

If you can't afford or accommodate a monitor and will be using the laptop for an extended period of time, then a stand to bring it to eye level and a keyboard and mouse is essential for comfortable home working. If you're Zooming it will also place the camera at eye level and give a much better video experience. I use an external webcam on top of my monitor for the same reason.

My vote is also for a trackball to minimise wrist strain. They do seem to induce a Marmite type response, though it makes for a very comfortable days work with less desk real-estate required to move around the mouse. I have a Logitech M570 and the function buttons can be set - mine close down browser windows. If you must mouse, the Logitech MX Anywhere series are phenomenal as they work on just about any surface, including glass.
I have had RSI problems and have tried roller ball mice, tracker balls and touch pads. Overall I find the best to be an infra red wireless mouse, all a matter of taste I think. A separate keyboard is much more comfortable and also more accurate for typing.

PeterY

Established Member
I use a laptop on a stand, so it's at eye level and a seperate keyboard and mouse. It is much more comfortable to use. The time I've used it for Zoom meetings I don't get such a distorted picture when people are watching me .

I have noticed that people on TV that people that use tablets and mobiles for interviews , I'm looking up their nostrils :'(

Is it me, but when I'm on a meeting, I make sure that behind me, the bit that people see is nice and tidy :D:D

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesT

Established Member
I use a laptop on a stand, so it's at eye level and a seperate keyboard and mouse. It is much more comfortable to use. The time I've used it for Zoom meetings I don't get such a distorted picture when people are watching me .

I have noticed that people on TV that people that use tablets and mobiles for interviews , I'm looking up their nostrils :'(

Is it me, but when I'm on a meeting, I make sure that behind me, the bit that people see is nice and tidy :D:D

Dell’s XPS laptops were infamous for the ‘nostril-cam’. They shrank the bezel around the screen so much so there wasn’t room for a camera in the traditional spot above the screen. Instead it was below the screen so almost guaranteed to be looking up at you. (The latest models have fixed this)

Custom image backgrounds are the popular feature at the moment, Zoom has been able to do it for a while and MS Teams has just caught up. This is where the software inserts an image behind you so people can’t see the rest of your room. Want to look like you’re dialing in from the beach? Just pick the right photo :)

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Dell’s XPS laptops were infamous for the ‘nostril-cam’. They shrank the bezel around the screen so much so there wasn’t room for a camera in the traditional spot above the screen. Instead it was below the screen so almost guaranteed to be looking up at you. (The latest models have fixed this)

I almost always use a separate USB webcam for video-meetings. Gives a much higher quality picture than my laptop cameras (my laptops are all several years old so not sure if that's still true of new ones), and i can easily move it about to get the best angle, or to show people other things without moving the whole laptop. (Although for normal use you can't move it too far from the screen because you'll end up looking away from the camera and so looking weird)

Custom image backgrounds are the popular feature at the moment, Zoom has been able to do it for a while and MS Teams has just caught up. This is where the software inserts an image behind you so people can’t see the rest of your room. Want to look like you’re dialing in from the beach? Just pick the right photo :)

Yes I've noticed that. Personally I absolutely hate it when other people on calls replace their background with artificial ones. To me, it feels fake and gives me a sense of, can I trust this person, what are they trying to hide. Plus, the inevitable visual artifacts between the person's face/hair and the artificial background are disttracting.

A Challenge

Established Member
I think that it is much better to just use background blur, I'm not sure if it on Zoom but it is on Teams.

najaB

Veteran Member
Personally I absolutely hate it when other people on calls replace their background with artificial ones.
I think it very much depends on the background and the meeting. Using a plain/neutral background or blur on a formal call can seem more professional by removing background distractions. Images should definitely be reserved for team meetings and the like.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've got my laptop on a pile of old magazines so that the screen's at the correct level.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I found that working on a laptop all day was giving me backache so I purchased a full size screen, keyboard and mouse and re-purposed an old table from my garage to make a much better working environment. Worked a treat, the backache has gone and I've also got the bonus of being able to use the laptop screen as well as the full size screen which can be useful at times.

AndyCK

They’re not for everyone and take some getting used to, but kneeling posture chairs can be quite beneficial. I used to think they were some sort of torture device until I first tried one, but my posture and back felt so much better afterwards!

D365

Veteran Member
I use a laptop on a stand, so it's at eye level and a seperate keyboard and mouse. It is much more comfortable to use. The time I've used it for Zoom meetings I don't get such a distorted picture when people are watching me

That is exactly what I do; monitor stand, then an angled laptop stand and finally the laptop on top of that.

And I'm lucky at the moment in that my desk is directly opposite the door for the room. In my student halls, video interviews always got a great view of my bed!

Status
Not open for further replies.