• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potential cut to air passenger duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Not sure which forum this was best raised in, but seeing as it is Coronavirus related I plonked for here - feel free to move if required. With this potential cut, fuel duty frozen and rail fares increasing, it somewhat emphasises where the transport ambitions are currently going. Interesting it's part of the "union connectivty review" that is being led by Sir Peter Hendy, Chair of Network Rail so perhaps there will be additional rail benefits, but I am doubtful.

Boris Johnson is set to authorise a cut in the levy paid by airlines for domestic flights to help revive the beleaguered industry in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic. The prime minister will announce a review of air passenger duty with a view to halving the current level, according to senior Whitehall figures.
The recommendation will form part of a wider Union Connectivity Review by Sir Peter Hendy, the chairman of Network Rail, to be published on Wednesday, proposing a new “UK Strategic Transport Network” to oversee British transport priorities

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XAM2175

Established Member
I'm neither enthused nor surprised.

Interesting it's part of the "union connectivty review" that is being led by Sir Peter Hendy, Chair of Network Rail so perhaps there will be additional rail benefits, but I am doubtful.
To properly set expectations, that's the same "review" that includes the Cairnryan-Larne Fixed Link - the "Boris Bore", as I've taken to calling it.

Cdd89

Established Member
So cutting APD on flights that are readily replaced by rail, but increasing it on long-haul flights where there is absolutely no other option? Makes sense...

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Grant Shapps is on the BBC blubbering on about this review and the Scotland - NI link today and not making much sense...

Veteran Member
Also a thread here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/union-connectivity-interim-report.214995/

The APD thing is specifically "where rail is not a realistic alternative" and the report also states that a fixed link to NI was added to the remit.

Status
Not open for further replies.