• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potential Naivete regarding Signalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burton5000

Hi Guys,
Bit of a back story, I'm 27 and have been in the pharmaceutical industry since 2012. I have been completing a Pharmacy Masters Degree up until this year, where I am just completing the third out of 4. Basically over the past couple of years I've realised that the medical profession isn't the way I want to go anymore.
I've been reading about signalling over the past year and a bit but never saw anything come up where I am (definitely could have been jobs and I've just missed them).
But now, one has come up but it's listed as grade 9. Now, I'm aware that's quite high up, but still says it's an apprenticeship with 12 weeks training.
I personally think I have tons of transferable skills that you guys seem to think are necessary, safety, safety, safety, working under pressure, team working and alone.
My question is, am I being naive in thinking I have a shot at that position, or is it likely to be taken by an internal applicant?

Thanks for any information!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gorlash1886

Simple answer mate if you don't apply you will never know, if it's what you want to do then apply what is the worst case scenario.

Gallius

Hi Guys,
Bit of a back story, I'm 27 and have been in the pharmaceutical industry since 2012. I have been completing a Pharmacy Masters Degree up until this year, where I am just completing the third out of 4. Basically over the past couple of years I've realised that the medical profession isn't the way I want to go anymore.
I've been reading about signalling over the past year and a bit but never saw anything come up where I am (definitely could have been jobs and I've just missed them).
But now, one has come up but it's listed as grade 9. Now, I'm aware that's quite high up, but still says it's an apprenticeship with 12 weeks training.
I personally think I have tons of transferable skills that you guys seem to think are necessary, safety, safety, safety, working under pressure, team working and alone.
My question is, am I being naive in thinking I have a shot at that position, or is it likely to be taken by an internal applicant?

Hi there, I have a very similar background to yourself. Completed a Chemistry Masters in 2012 and have been working in the pharma industry. I was offered a grade 8 signalling job at the beginning of the year and I start my training in October. As you've said, there are a lot of transferrable skills gained and I was able to draw from my experiences to complete the application form and to answer the NTS questions at interview. I would absolutely apply as you have nothing to lose and it is definitely possible. My advice is to do as much research as possible, including reading the entirety of the signalling thread on here. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Good luck

Belperpete

Established Member
My advice is to do as much research as possible,
Totally agree with the above. If you go in knowing nothing about what signalling involves, you won't stand much of a chance. You have to regard job applications as a competition, where you have to be better than the other candidates. And if you don't get it first time around, try, try and try again.

Efini92

Established Member
Hi Guys,

I believe they have taken on a lot of new Signaller’s for the ROC’s so there’s no harm in applying. I remember visiting Manchester Piccadilly signal box and the station panel was a grade 9, he had a lot of work to do. Good luck though :)

Burton5000

Totally agree with the above. If you go in knowing nothing about what signalling involves, you won't stand much of a chance. You have to regard job applications as a competition, where you have to be better than the other candidates. And if you don't get it first time around, try, try and try again.
Oh yeh I absolutely agree with you I've done a lot of research nor on the NTS questions and got myself a few scenarios prepared in case I get an interview. My worry was more, well if its grade 9 it's going to be packed with applicants already doing signalling, then I don't stand much chance.

Thankyou for your reply though mate

Rockhopper

From speaking to signallers working in the lower grades there is no great rush for the grade 9 jobs. The extra money would not seem to be worth the extra workload to many of them.

Saracen_83

From speaking to signallers working in the lower grades there is no great rush for the grade 9 jobs. The extra money would not seem to be worth the extra workload to many of them.

depends on the panel/link tbh!! I work less on a grade 9, and have less faults and failures than when I was on a lower grade where the panel was a bigger workload and also lots more faults and failures!!

you can work harder on a Grade 5 lever frame than a grade 9 with ARS!!

I would say it’s weather those signaller would rather be in signal manned boxes where your on your own, effectively left alone, or signalling centres (roc, asc iecc etc) where you work with other signallers/SSMs etc... and are monitored etc...

I have a few friends who really don’t want to move for this reason..

anyway to the OP I would apply to the job regardless of grade! The more applications, the more chance of getting a job! If you don’t put an application in then You definitely won’t get the job!!!

good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.