• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potential new trainee driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth43

Hello everyone my name is Gareth, this is my first visit to this forum,
I recently applied for a trainee train driver position, and was delighted to find that my application was successful, I am now waiting for assessment dates to become available, so i am using this time to prepare myself for the assessments, however I am having difficulty with the Group Bourdon test I have heard that you need to get a least half way down to pass, yet I can not do this I am only achieving 8 lines with 100% accuracy, I have practised a lot yet I don't seem to be able to do any more than this without missing out some of the dots.

Any advise please would be great
Many thanks
Gareth

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reapz

I recently applied for a trainee train driver position, and was delighted to find that my application was successful, I am now waiting for assessment dates to become available, so i am using this time to prepare myself for the assessments, however I am having difficulty with the Group Bourdon test I have heard that you need to get a least half way down to pass, yet I can not do this I am only achieving 8 lines with 100% accuracy, I have practised a lot yet I don't seem to be able to do any more than this without missing out some of the dots.

Many thanks
Gareth

hi and welcome , what companyh (toc) are u going for and depot , this is a good place to start:--p

GadgetMan

Just keep practicing, your speed will improve without affecting your accuracy.

No one seems to know what the exact pass mark is, but I don't think it is that difficult to complete 10 lines in each section with zero errors.

Gareth43

Thakyou all, This makes me feel a bit better, I guess all I can do is to keep practising until my assessment, It might just be me but 8 lines seems a little disappointing but like you say as long as I remain accurate and keep practising then I should improve, also I am probably putting to much pressure on myself as I really want to get this job.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry to be a pain but does anyone know what the time limit is per sheet ?
Thanks in advance
Gareth

jasont

Many thanks
Gareth
Gareth

I did the tests last january and managed to get through all the assessments and interviews. I would concentrate on accuracy, don't forget nerves will play a part on the day. If I remember i think I did about 10 lines.

good luck

shirleyd286

If you google 'Group Bourdon Test' you can find a free programme from a website and practice to your hearts content. I have it, its quite useful. I am in the same boat as you, waiting for assessment dates from FCC but trying to get an estimation of when this will be is impossible....

Gareth43

Thanks for the tips / advice everyone.

I have the Group Bourdon test program you suggested it is very good and does the SCAAT tests as well,

Does any one know what the time limit is for the tests on the day, I have set the timer to 1 Min but can only do 7-8 lines in this time, if I set it for 2 Min then I am achieving 16 lines.

As for assessment dates Shirley, I believe FCC are dealing with their internal positions first, and the external ones should follow within the next month.

I applied last November the closing date was 7 February, I got a email saying I was successful in the short listings in early march, but now have to wait for assessment dates to become available.

reapz

Thanks for the tips / advice everyone.

I have the Group Bourdon test program you suggested it is very good and does the SCAAT tests as well,

Does any one know what the time limit is for the tests on the day, I have set the timer to 1 Min but can only do 7-8 lines in this time, if I set it for 2 Min then I am achieving 16 lines.

As for assessment dates Shirley, I believe FCC are dealing with their internal positions first, and the external ones should follow within the next month.

I applied last November the closing date was 7 February, I got a email saying I was successful in the short listings in early march, but now have to wait for assessment dates to become available.

5 sections and 2 mins on each section

Gareth43

Hi,
Really 2 Min per sheet, that's good to know;)
That is with FCC right?
I have been concentrating on doing it in 1 Min per sheet, my latest results were,95%,90%,82%,100%,88% with an average of 7 to 10 lines.
I think I am improving slowly :(

DD

what happens to train drivers who become unfit to drive later in their career?

Status
Not open for further replies.