• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potential weather disruption Tuesday 7th onwards - Storm Barra

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonmidland

Established Member
Just an advanced warning for anyone travelling on the rail network next Tuesday (7th), there is the potential for disruption across the network, consequently due to Storm Barra moving in from the West.

At this point, it isn’t looking as severe as Storm Arwen, however there will still be gusts of up to 45-50mph widely, with 60-70mph gusts across coastal locations.

As always, the latest weather warnings can be viewed here

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marks87

Established Member
ScotRail have announced the following pre-emptive alterations/cancellations:

⚠️ We're having to make changes to services tomorrow (7 December 2021) due to Storm Barra.

MetOffice YELLOW warnings are in place for wind, rain & snow across much of our network.

Updated journey times are now available on our website and app, please check these before travelling.

There will be NO TRAINS ALL DAY between Stranraer & Girvan due to the forecast extreme weather.

You can use your tickets on Stagecoach buses 60, 358 & 360 between Stranraer, Girvan, Maybole & Ayr.

Severe weather is also forecast in the east of the country. From 1500 until the end of the day, we'll be running a limited service between the Dundee & Aberdeen due to speed restrictions.

Our Glasgow Queen St - Aberdeen & Edinburgh - Arbroath trains will only go as far north as Dundee.

We'll withdraw our regular Edinburgh - Aberdeen & Edinburgh - Cowdenbeath services at the same time.

In the north, we'll be suspending local Inverurie - Montrose services from 1600 & Inverness - Elgin trains from 1700.

You'll be able to use our Dundee - Aberdeen & Aberdeen - Inverness trains instead.

These will take longer due to speed restrictions, though.

Thanks in advance for your patience, these speed restrictions will extend travel times, but they'll be in place for everyone's safety.

If you haven't got it already, download our app - it's constantly updated with the latest info.
https://www.facebook.com/291549024202481/posts/5129135543777114/?d=n

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I hope this won’t affect the ECML south of Edinburgh. Travelling to London on Wednesday and I’m genuinely concerned about getting caught in any residual disruption due to damage.

Though it looks like Storm Barra is mainly centered in the West and North?

On a lighter note, the poor residents of Barra must’ve gotten a fright when they saw the storm was named after their island

marks87

Established Member
I hope this won’t affect the ECML south of Edinburgh. Travelling to London on Wednesday and I’m genuinely concerned about getting caught in any residual disruption due to damage.

On a lighter note, the poor residents of Barra must’ve gotten a fright when they saw the storm was named after their island

Barra is already a wild and lonely place, yi’ understand.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If members wish to argue that the railway is somehow "ridiculous" or similar for taking precautions to ensure the safety of staff and passengers I would ask that they start a new thread in Speculative Ideas to discuss their suggestions for how the industry could manage safety during dangerous weather conditions. Otherwise this thread is for what is actually happening.

londonmidland

Established Member

You should be okay, given you’re travelling on the East Coast. The highest gusts will be around the West Coast, South Western and Southern Coasts. Central areas will still have gusts of up to 40-50mph, however.

Be aware that flooding may be an additional issue, with all areas receiving fairly sizeable amounts, during the course of tomorrow. Particularly if/when a squall line passes through.

38Cto15E

I am going Newark-Aberdeen tomorrow, the weather seems worse on the West Coast, at least LNER now have a tot of Whisky available in First should the need arise.:)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
When this storm warning was issued I pushed my plans to use the wcml between Edinburgh and Milton Keynes for an onward connection forward by 4 hours. Hopefully I can get sufficiently far down before the speed restrictions kick in and the pendolino turns from a flying rocket into a blundering lump of heavy metal plodding along at 40 mph

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Blanked speed restriction of 50mph across most of the W. Country (Taunton to Penzance) 0900-1500.

Looks like this is going to be a more widespread storm geographically, albeit less severe.

wobman

On Moderation
I know tfw have cancelled some services and routes today, plus some speed restrictions are in place.
It's looking a bit nasty in parts of Wales according to the forecast, there's still a lot of infrastructure/ trees damaged from the last storm !

seagull

North Wales coast has a blanket speed restriction of 40mph from this morning until tomorrow mid-day. Looking at the Met Office it appears the predicted severity and length of the storm has increased, up to mid 50s gusts in mph for a longer period and with a lot more rain.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
This will be a good test for the sea defences at Dawlish. High tide, strong southerly wind.

The exile

Established Member
According to GWR.com, the impact of a speed restriction between Swansea and Bristol Parkway is that trains between Penzance and Plymouth may be delayed by up to 30 minutes. The butterfly effect, perhaps?

Now corrected!

Last edited:

plymothian

1 IET (1A77) stranded at Dawlish on the up line due to total loss of power, rescue train being sent.
Can be followed on the Sea Breeze Dawlish beach cam

1 IET stranded at Dawlish on the up line, rescue train being sent.

Currently onboard, 802109 has had all engines die, heard rumblings as attempts to get the engines fired up but no movement. All the lights have been turned off and beem told to remain in seats, no wifi as well. No announcement of any rescue train as of yet over the PA, but just seen a 1Z99 headcode at platform 4 at Exeter St Davids on Traksy (would assume that's the rescue train)

Edit: bottles of water are being handed out onboard

plymothian

Currently onboard, 802109 has had all engines die, heard rumblings as attempts to get the engines fired up but no movement. All the lights have been turned off and beem told to remain in seats, no wifi as well. No announcement of any rescue train as of yet over the PA, but just seen a 1Z99 headcode at platform 4 at Exeter St Davids on Traksy (would assume that's the rescue train)

Edit: bottles of water are being handed out onboard

1C72 was CAPED at EXD to form the rescue. 1Z99 now at Marsh Barton.

1C72 was CAPED at EXD to form the rescue. 1Z99 now at Marsh Barton.

From what I can see on Traksy 1Z99 is now on the same line as us (1A77). Member of staff gave an announcement, plan on being dragged into Exeter by the rescue train with more checks there, could transfer passengers to the rescue train but no idea until we arrive

Cletus

Established Member
From what I can see on Traksy 1Z99 is now on the same line as us (1A77). Member of staff gave an announcement, plan on being dragged into Exeter by the rescue train with more checks there, could transfer passengers to the rescue train but no idea until we arrive

You can watch yourself on the Dawlish webcam (if you're not already!)

The train following it has disappeared from its berth.

Rescue train 1Z99 has become immobilised by a wave. Can be seen on the San Remo cam.

Just been told. Doors are to be opened to allow us to strech legs. Coaches to Exeter, but have just been called so a wait for them to arrive

Status
Not open for further replies.