• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potters Bar TV Documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
Thursday 9-10pm on BBC1. Documentary about the Potters Bar crash and the investigation that followed it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Good. That Drama about the Paddington Accident was completely dull and was hardly to do with the Accident itself. Brought in a few million viewers through false advertising.

Jim

Established Member
The Paddington 1 IMO wasn't too bad, but it did get a bit borring after a while

Nick W

Established Member
I think they fictionalised alot of the IECC events which upset some, which Metroland noted.

Never worked that one out.

BBC "theory" is that the signaller waited about a minute before trying to do anything due to profits before safety.

A more reliable source suggets that one signaller immediately "zoomed in", we assume he went from overall pannel to a more detailed pannel, and stopped the HST before attempthing ot move the points to divert the turbo but it was too late.

Still BBCs IECC simulation where trains are located ot the nearest few m was taking the ****.

Established Member
Liked the clip of the slammers at victoria and the doubled headed 57s then about 5 mins later i got fed up of the wuffal i fell asleep then came and posted this!!

Guinness

Established Member
I only caught the last 10 minutes. Seemed quite interesting although perhaps a bit "P-Wayish". :)

Daniel

Established Member
Was all rather interesting. Its a shame that Jarvis seemed to be very secrative. Perhaps they knew all along that they were to blame?

Contractors Will always be secretve, Was intresting to see what poor knowledge the workers had

Dennis

Established Member
Contractors Will always be secretve, Was intresting to see what poor knowledge the workers had

Wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry after seeing the footage of someone 'tightening' nuts. The poor bloke didn't seem to have a clue, obviously a lack of training and hence a system failure. Amusing to watch but ask yourself how many sets of points have you passed over at high speed. Our lives are in the hands of trackworkers (amongst others) and I would like to think that they have the tools and training necessary to to perform the necessary maintenance.

The one thing that really surprised me about this program is how many conversations seem to be recorded.

Daniel

Established Member
I expect it will be on Telewest Replay within a week.

Alternatively, it will most likely be repeated on BBC3 some time in the near future.

class 313

Established Member
Was all rather interesting. Its a shame that Jarvis seemed to be very secrative. Perhaps they knew all along that they were to blame?

I dont think Jarvis would of put their hands up anyway, after seeing and knowing whats going to happern to them, the chances of Jarvis saying "yes it was our fault" Where getting very thin indeed.

devon_metro

Established Member
All seemed like bad press for the railways to me.

Otherwise it was interesting. Shame about the amount of police coverage.

Mushroom

The driver who was insistant that there were people on the track said he blew the horn at them. Couldn't the unit be downloaded to find out if he had actually blown the horn?

Daniel

Established Member
From RailChat Forum said:
1) Within 24 hours Jarvis had examined EVERY single set of points they maintained throughout the Country on their own initiative and without prompting. Not one single set of points was found to have any maintenance issues on them.

Perhaps this is why when the British Transport Police examined another set of points maintained by the same pway crew, they found the points to be in perfect order, and that problem with the loose nuts fixed?

Class 313 said:
I dont think Jarvis would have put their hands up anyway, after seeing and knowing whats going to happen to them, the chances of Jarvis saying "yes it was our fault" were getting very thin indeed.

I wouldn't have expected them to put their hands up and admit it, but I would expect them to have a bt of co-operation with the inquiriy.
Also Tom, you said:

Class 313 said:
after seeing and knowing whats going to happen to them

What do you mean they have seen it? And to be honest, are Jarvis to know that they have caused it? If your the pway crew who last inspected those points, and reported them as in working order, and they are not, you aren't really going to say "Yes, it was me!", so those higher up in Jarvis might not have known that they had anything to do with it.

Also not mentioned in the program, (and also information from RailChat), was that:

RailChat said:
Network Rail engineers carried out a specific and detailed inspection of those points a couple of weeks beforehand and reported them as being fully compliant (i.e. the stretcher bars correctly positioned)

So maybe at the time of Jarvis' inspection, the points were in working order. That, or both the Jarvis and Network Rail pway gangs lied about the points' condition.

petethetim

I only half watched this as I was in someone else's house when it was on & tried to watch it with out appearing rude but could not really pay a great deal of attention to it, Does any one know if it's to be repeated ? , I thought NTL may have had in in their On Demand Watch again list but alias not
Today 12:13 AM

LucaZone

Out of curiosity, as I also missed this due to the other half! :P

Was this a stage by stage re-enactment? Was there any CGI involved? Dont want to sound sick, but I am interested in analysing catastrophic events. I watch Seconds from Disaster all the time.

devon_metro

Established Member
Out of curiosity, as I also missed this due to the other half! :P

Was this a stage by stage re-enactment? Was there any CGI involved? Dont want to sound sick, but I am interested in analysing catastrophic events. I watch Seconds from Disaster all the time.

I used to watch that, before out free 1 month of Sky went away.

I'm interested to know what happened to the other 3 cars-it's a miracle as to how they weren't derailed with the 4th car.

Coxster

Established Member
I'm interested to know what happened to the other 3 cars-it's a miracle as to how they weren't derailed with the 4th car.
The leading three coaches, with the trailing bogie of the third coach derailed, continued travelling along the Down Fast line. The emergency braking system had been initiated and the coaches came to a halt with the front coach about 400 metres from the northern end of the station platform.

Jordy

Established Member
And as to where they are, I believe this is them, but this photo was taken at the Crewe works open day, was that 2004 or 2005?

365.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.