• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Power of detention outside of railway property (was 'Bylaws')

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Following on from another thread. I notice that some railway employees think they have the power of detention outside of railway property.

I maintain that they do not.

When on Railway property everyone on here would agree that they are subject to bylaws and must show a ticket on demand for their journey to a railway employee. I have no argument with that, and as a frequent user of the railways always ensure that I have a ticket.

I also agree that certain railway employees have the right to detain a passenger who they believe is committing fare evasion, in the course of a brief investigation under caution.

My argument is that once I leave railway property, the bylaws and RoRA no longer apply to me until I re-enter railway property.

The only railway employees outside of railway property to have any such powers are BTP, as they are police officers.

This link (I know it is old) would tend to support my assertion.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....pgr/rail/legislation/regs/railwaysbyelaws.pdf

RAILWAY BYELAWS
Made under Section 219 of the Transport Act 2000 by the Strategic Rail Authority (the “Authority”) and confirmed under Schedule 20 of the Transport Act 2000 by the Secretary of State for Transport on 22 June 2005 for regulating the use and working of, and travel on or by means of, railway assets, the maintenance of order on railway assets and the conduct of all persons while on railway assets (the “Byelaws”).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Murph

My argument is that once I leave railway property, the bylaws and RoRA no longer apply to me until I re-enter railway property.

I'm reckon you're probably correct, with one small addendum, that there's no interaction between you and the railway while off the property. E.g. lobbing a brick at a train from non-railway property would probably enable action under railway laws.

The only grey I can see is in the moments immediately after leaving railway property. I.e. one step outside the property line probably isn't enough, but outside and down the road probably is (as long as you're not actively running away after first being legitimately challenged inside the property line).

I'd certainly be very dis-inclined to give name and address to railway staff, or show a ticket, once convincingly off the property and down the road, just as I wouldn't volunteer those details to any other ordinary citizen (to me, if it's well outside railway property, they are just unusually dressed citizens with no special powers) without good reason. If there's a Police officer involved (BTP, special, or normal), that's quite different, obviously, but I'd be politely and calmly asking them to state their reasons or justification for wanting to talk to me or requesting details.

tony_mac

Established Member

the sniper

Established Member
I don't visit this part of the forum much so haven't followed any previous discussion, but I thought I'd post my understanding.

The Byelaws don't carry any right of detention, only removal from the railway using reasonable force, so what the Transport Act 2000 says about the Byelaws is irrelevant in a discussion about detention. The right of detention comes under the RoRA 1889 S.5 (2). In the RoRA 1889 it doesn't mention or specify that this right of detention is only possible on railway property and I can't see how it could be interpreted as such. Of course for 5(2) to be needed 5(1) would have to have been committed by a 'passenger by railway'. The detention can last "until he can be conveniently brought before some justice or otherwise discharged by due course of law".

I've seen people on here questioning whether this right of detention still exists and how PACE impacts on it, but I believe someone proved that as that section hasn't been repealed it still stands.

Of course whether ejection or detention would be used in the real world nowadays is a totally different thing. I don't know of any TOCs who encourage or even permit their employees to do either, even though they're legally entitled to.

Murph

Of course for 5(2) to be needed 5(1) would have to have been committed by a 'passenger by railway'.

I think the key point here, and what I believe is the point that the OP is trying to make, is that there has to be some sort of reasonable limit beyond which §5(1) no longer applies, and the obligation to show a ticket or otherwise cooperate with railway officials expires. To me, it seems quite likely that you could make a strong case in your defence if you were only challenged once well off the railway property, or as I put it above, off the property and down the road (without being challenged inside the property, and not running away from such a challenge). I'd guess that if a court were to get into the wording of the act, "passenger by a railway" status might be taken to expire at the point where you cross the property line (without actively running away from a challenge). Can anyone cite any case law to the contrary, or otherwise related to challenges made past the property line?

Is anyone really trying to argue that there's basically no limit after you leave the station, that effectively staff could follow you out and challenge you much later and a long way away from the railway?

I agree that if you fail in your obligations under §5(1) while on railway property, that you become subject to actions under §5(2) and §5(3), and your location ceases to be relevant.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I wonder if there is some confusion here.

In the previous thread from which this question has been raised (Northern Rail fare dispute initial contact lettet sic), the point raised was that the Regulation of Railways Act (RoRA) would not be constrained by a person being on or off railway property; it was NOT discussing the Railway Byelaws, So it is puzzling as to why the question is now being raised as a continuation of that thread but is actually a question about separate legislation.

However, I'll attempt to clarify the situation.
The Railway Byelaws do indeed apply to the regulation of persons while on railway property (stations, trains etc). However, a person suspected of an offence under these Byelaws (as with any other Byelaws) can be questioned by an investigating officer at any reasonable place or time. However, the Offence is not necessarily constrained by the Byelaws to being committed on railway property, for example, a person reselling railway tickets elsewhere commits the offence under Byelaw 21 wherever they resell the ticket, in this example, it is the ticket that is the relevant railway property.

Similarly, a person suspected of a RoRA offence can be questioned at any reasonable place or time. It is not uncommon for a person suspected of fare evasion to be apprehended after having left railway property. It is relatively common practice at certain stations with acute levels of fare evasion for Inspectors to operate just outside the station. Inspectors have the authority to apprehend a person off railway property and successful prosecutions of RoRA offences have been pursued following detection of fare evasion in this way.

This question has been discussed on here previously (most extensively in "Ticket checks outside station" in March 2011) and several revenue staff have confirmed their own experiences of detecting ticket irregularities outside railway premises and also that the RoRA does not restrict the authority or powers of an Inspector to railway property. (Sadly, in that thread, many of the posts by passengers were opinions which they appeared to want to believe but without any justification).

In practice, however, many railway ticket staff are instructed not to make agressive use of their authority and prosecutions have failed as well as succeeded where they have done so.

Last edited:

Murph

This question has been discussed on here previously (most extensively in "Ticket checks outside station" in March 2011) and several revenue staff have confirmed their own experiences of detecting ticket irregularities outside railway premises and also that the RoRA does not restrict the authority or powers of an Inspector to railway property. (Sadly, in that thread, many of the posts by passengers were opinions which they appeared to want to believe but without any justification).

In practice, however, many railway ticket staff are instructed not to make agressive use of their authority and prosecutions have failed as well as succeeded where they have done so.

Yes, RoRA doesn't explicitly restrict the location. Despite that, there must be some reasonable limit in distance/time, beyond which the obligation to show a ticket ceases. For example, I could arrive by train at a station, leave the station without being challenged, come back an hour later to get another train (on a new ticket, not on the original ticket). On the face of it, RoRA §5(1) could allow an official to demand to see the ticket for my earlier journey, but it would clearly be quite unreasonable to expect me to have retained it, having spent an hour outside the railway doing something else.

The obligation in §5(1) to produce your ticket must expire at some point. In practical terms, I think it really has to be quite soon after you're off railway property (without actively evading a challenge to produce it). I can see a check immediately outside the station entrance possibly being ok for a small station, but much further than that seems unreasonable to me. If it's a large station, with lots of retail, etc, even that might not be reasonable for any exits well beyond the platforms (e.g. you might have stopped for a burger or coffee and disposed of the ticket at that point).

Obviously if they already have some other evidence of avoiding fares, they can approach you at any time, I'm only talking about where they can demand to see a ticket.

RPI

Established Member
There is however the offence of making off without payment under the Theft Act 1978 which could easily be interpreted for the purpose of failure to pay rail fare.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, RoRA doesn't explicitly restrict the location. Despite that, there must be some reasonable limit in distance/time, beyond which the obligation to show a ticket ceases. For example, I could arrive by train at a station, leave the station without being challenged, come back an hour later to get another train (on a new ticket, not on the original ticket). On the face of it, RoRA §5(1) could allow an official to demand to see the ticket for my earlier journey, but it would clearly be quite unreasonable to expect me to have retained it, having spent an hour outside the railway doing something else.

The obligation in §5(1) to produce your ticket must expire at some point. In practical terms, I think it really has to be quite soon after you're off railway property (without actively evading a challenge to produce it). I can see a check immediately outside the station entrance possibly being ok for a small station, but much further than that seems unreasonable to me. If it's a large station, with lots of retail, etc, even that might not be reasonable for any exits well beyond the platforms (e.g. you might have stopped for a burger or coffee and disposed of the ticket at that point).

Obviously if they already have some other evidence of avoiding fares, they can approach you at any time, I'm only talking about where they can demand to see a ticket.

From my untrained eyes. it would appear that there is no official "limit" per se.

In practice, I would imagine that a case would be thrown out of court quite quickly if it is built on the passenger being challenged long after leaving railway premises without good reason, having had plenty of potential opportunities to discard the ticket under the reasonable belief that it was no longer required.

RPI

Established Member
Another point to add, a lot of railway property often spreads a fair way from the station entrance and often includes approach roads and car parks

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There is no limit and I would think that every case would be judged on its merits. For example, i know of one case where there were multiple suspects who were followed a long away from any railway premises and finally arrested at their homes, but this was more of a ticket fraud operation rather than a simple case of an individual being suspected of not having a valid ticket.

I don 't think that the other thread which prompted this topic was about detention at all, it was about co-operation. As far as I can recall, no one has suggested that the OP there should have been detained, just that they were correct to co-operate by speaking to the railway employee rather than possibly causing trouble for themselves by refusing to do so.

As far as I can see, not only is this thread about separate legislation, it's about a separate issue as well.

Clip

Established Member
Another point to add, a lot of railway property often spreads a fair way from the station entrance and often includes approach roads and car parks

Was just about to add this. A lot of people don't realise it and seem to think that once outside the station they are off the property.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
As bb21 and Greenback have said, there is no pre-defined limit to the distance or time beyond the travel is question, and there doesn't have to be.
This does not create the absurd requirement to continue to carry a ticket long after travel, and there is nothing in what I have written which suggests that.

What should be clear is that as the distance or time increases, it rapidly ceases to be a reasonable indicator of the circumstances of travel, and for a single journey, a ticket inspection which was only performed a distance away (in time or space) would be an unproductive system of fare evasion. It would also provide unpersuasive evidence in a Court.
I have already provided the example of an unauthorised ticket reseller who commits the offence whereever they are reselling the ticket.
There are two more real-life examples of when an inspection remote from travel has been helpful - these are in the detection of forged season tickets and the detection of abused Priv 'boxes'. Similarly, a person who (perhaps with others) has caused damage to railway property with a motor vehicle or whose luggage has leaked corrosive fluid or whose animal has caused damage, may be the subject of an investigation which leads to questionning off the premises and after the event.

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The limit, presumably therefore, is the time allowed to submit a prosecution to the magistrates?

So, in answer to a simultaneous thread, yes you do need to keep a drawerful of tickets at home, just in case, for six? months after your journey!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . . yes you do need to keep a drawerful of tickets at home, just in case, for six? months after your journey!
and I have been firmly rebutting that suggestion.

While an Offence may be investigated at any time and any place, the inability to produce a valid ticket when removed in time and space from the journey in question would NOT be persuasive evidence of travel without a ticket. I apologise if I have not made this adequately clear.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
and I have been firmly rebutting that suggestion.

While an Offence may be investigated at any time and any place, the inability to produce a valid ticket when removed in time and space from the journey in question would NOT be persuasive evidence of travel without a ticket. I apologise if I have not made this adequately clear.

Your posts were, and always are, quite clear, but not explicit to a non-legal person. We think differently you know! As my Trade Union friend (legally aware but not qualified i.e. well trained and experienced) always advises - never 'assume' anything and always ask 'please be specific'.

As in the good examples given, an investigation after the event is quite normal - hence why the police video everyone in a group of football fans, or at a demonstration, or the riots a couple of years ago. They can then take the time to go through the footage, identify suspects, and knock on someone's door in their own good time.

My, admittedly far fetched, point, is that a keen RPI or prosecution team could do just the same and, 'being unable to produce a ticket for a journey when requested by a railway official' is the offence. OK, a defence solicitor will kick that into touch in no time (hopefully!) using the reasons you have given, but an unworldly traveller, presented there and then with one of Northern's special '£80 get out of a criminal record card', may well choose to pay up without taking legal advice.

If everyone behaved in a reasonable, civilised manner, detailed, pedantic definitions wouldn't be necessary. Unfortunately some TOC's seem to be heading towards the sort of behaviour associated with debt collectors and car clamping companies, thus the public need protecting from them without recourse to the law, which is prohibitively expensive for most (or TOC's need better regulation of their operation of revenue protection duties) - a genuinely independent appeals process would be a good start!

There must be (well, there ought to be) a definition of when ones journey ends (exiting railway property) and when one is no longer required to hold onto ones ticket (as proof of having paid to travel on the companies trains). Clearly, some railway companies (of NR at Leeds), are happy to have your ticket off you at an automatic barrier whilst still on railway property, others seem happy to lurk off of railway property.

Flamingo

Established Member
If everyone behaved in a reasonable, civilised manner, detailed, pedantic definitions wouldn't be necessary. Unfortunately some TOC's seem to be heading towards the sort of behaviour associated with debt collectors and car clamping companies, thus the public need protecting from them without recourse to the law, which is prohibitively expensive for most (or TOC's need better regulation of their operation of revenue protection duties) - a genuinely independent appeals process would b
Which TOC's are you referring to, and which incidents? As you say, "please be specific "!

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
There is not, and does not need to be, a legal (or any other) definition of when a journey ends and for how long after alighting from a train a passenger should retain his ticket.

Any such case in court would be assessed based on what is reasonable in all the circumstances and on whether the prosecution could prove the offence charged beyond reasonable doubt.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
There is not, and does not need to be, a legal (or any other) definition of when a journey ends and for how long after alighting from a train a passenger should retain his ticket.

Any such case in court would be assessed based on what is reasonable in all the circumstances and on whether the prosecution could prove the offence charged beyond reasonable doubt.

Except for strict liability and the passenger being guilty until proved innocent.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Which TOC's are you referring to, and which incidents? As you say, "please be specific "!

No names, can't afford the legal fees to defend myself.

island

Veteran Member
Except for strict liability and the passenger being guilty until proved innocent.

Strict liability offences still need to be proved beyond reasonable doubt. It may be easier to do so as compared to an offence requiring intent, but it must still be done.

I am not sure what "legal fees" you would be incurring to "defend" yourself. Libel has been abolished and replaced by defamation, and a company can only take defamation proceedings if it can prove it suffered serious financial harm.

Flamingo

Established Member

Well, then it hasn't happened...

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
This is completely incorrect!

The term 'strict liability' refers to an offence which is committed as a matter of fact irregardless of a person's intentions (e.g. the escape of a toxin occurs and as a result the landowner has committed an offence, or a motorist drives faster than the speed limit and as a result has committed the offence). It is a serious misunderstanding of 'strict liability' to suggest that a person responsible for a 'strict liability' offence is guilty until proved innocent, where exactly the opposite is true. The person responsible may have committed the strict liability offence, and may or may not have been responsible for some harm *, but if any legal proceedings are to be considered to remedy that incident, then they most definitely remain innocent until proved guilty, and proved to the highest possible standard of evidence.

This question of the presumption of innocence has been raised in the courts from time to time, and it remains firmly enshrined in law. Sachs J in State v Coetzee 1997 said: "The starting point of any balancing enquiry where constitutional rights are concerned must be that the public interest in ensuring that innocent people are not convicted and subjected to ignominy and heavy sentences massively outweighs the public interest in ensuring that a particular criminal is brought to book… Hence the presumption of innocence, which serves not only to protect a particular individual on trial, but to maintain public confidence in the enduring integrity and security of the legal system. Reference to the prevalence and severity of a certain crime therefore does not add anything new or special to the balancing exercise." this position is often repeated e.g. in HM Advocate v McIntosh 2001 and R v Lambert 2001.

The defence against a 'strict liability' offence also lies in the facts of the matter (e.g. the responsible person discredits the reliability of the evidence that the escaping substance was toxic, or that the speed of the motor vehicle was incorrectly recorded).

The concept of 'strict liability' does apply to many of the Railway Byelaws (as it does to other Byelaws on other property) which is what the subject of this thread refers to, but it does NOT apply to the ticket offences which we had been discussing here, namely a RoRA S.5 offence (fare evasion). To prosecute those offences, the evidence must include the facts of the matter and the intention of the responsible person to commit the offence; again, these must be proved to the highest possible standard of evidence.

* the reason for strict liability offences which do not necessarily result in loss or harm are often called 'regulatory' because they seek to regulate activities so that some events which may cause loss or harm can be prevented. We regulate the speed of motorists even when there are no other persons or vehicles present, we regulate the possession of firearms even if they are not used, and we regulate the activities of persons on the railways even when they have paid their fare.

I hope this helps to clarify your misunderstanding of 'strict liability'.

What are you being accused of doing? Or fear that you will be accused of doing?
Have you actually done that thing?

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
Advice for Dovey Junction users would be to not throw away your tickets just in case there is an RPI 1 mile away at the end of the footpath!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
In my detailled reply this morning, I somehow forgot to state the overarching assurance in Law:
This is completely incorrect!
If you followed the references I gave then you'll know what I'm about to quote - it's the European Convention on Human Rights Article 6 . 2
ECHR Article 6 said:
6 . 2 Everyone charged with a criminal offence shall be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law.
. . .to which all UK Law, in word and in practice, must be compatible.

and for the benefit of anyone unfamiliar with the ECHR, here is the full Article:
ECHR said:
ARTICLE 6

1. In the determination of his civil rights and obligations or of any criminal charge against him, everyone is entitled to a fair and public hearing within a reasonable time by an independent and impartial tribunal established by law. Judgement shall be pronounced publicly by the press and public may be excluded from all or part of the trial in the interest of morals, public order or national security in a democratic society, where the interests of juveniles or the protection of the private life of the parties so require, or the extent strictly necessary in the opinion of the court in special circumstances where publicity would prejudice the interests of justice.

2. Everyone charged with a criminal offence shall be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law.

3. Everyone charged with a criminal offence has the following minimum rights:
  • (a) to be informed promptly, in a language which he understands and in detail, of the nature and cause of the accusation against him;
  • (b) to have adequate time and the facilities for the preparation of his defence;
  • (c) to defend himself in person or through legal assistance of his own choosing or, if he has not sufficient means to pay for legal assistance, to be given it free when the interests of justice so require;
  • (d) to examine or have examined witnesses against him and to obtain the attendance and examination of witnesses on his behalf under the same conditions as witnesses against him;
  • (e) to have the free assistance of an interpreter if he cannot understand or speak the language used in court.
There is nothing mysterious about Railway legislation which avoids this basic Right, whether Statute or Byelaw.

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
What are you being accused of doing? Or fear that you will be accused of doing?
Have you actually done that thing?

I'm not accused of doing anything, my quest for knowledge and understanding is purely for future reference and to discuss the issues.

I come at this from the angle of the general public who, it seems to me, have few enshrined rights or safeguards, relying instead on a 'TOC' to behave at all times in a fair and reasonable manner. Such behaviour, on the basis of various threads on this forum, not being entirely evident, specifically in relation to the behaviour of Northern and their non-penalty fare civil remedy scheme. Unfortunately we only see one element of the process on this forum, we do not hear, for example, of the (large?) majority of passengers who are simply allowed to buy a ticket (rather than being written up) or the number of cases which are written up by the revenue team but not proceeded with by the prosecutions department.

I have concerns with the issuing of 'administrative charges' (the £80 + your fare special deal), the underlying threat being, take the easy option or risk a criminal record. I find the methods used by 'debt collectors', and previously by 'car clampers' unacceptable. Not paying your rail fare, or your debts, or parking on someone else's property is wrong but remedies exist in law for these transgressions. Circumventing the law for speed, convenience and financial benefit it not acceptable. I remain unconvinced about the 'civil recovery' schemes operated by retail stores, again pay up or risk a prosecution. As regards Northern, evidencing that the administrative costs actually are £80 each time would be a good starting point.

It would be interesting to know what is the proportion of cases where, having issued an £80plus deal, the respondent declines to pay it but no subsequent prosecution takes place.

Again based on the threads posted on this forum, I find the behaviour of Northern heading towards unacceptable (morally if not legally), for example 'lurking behind doors', 'at the bottom of ramps', 'round corners' or even following people down the street. I say, give passengers a clear and proper opportunity to pay their fare rather than trying to catch out as many as possible to generate civil remedies. Were the Northern scheme found to be operating in such a manner I am sure there would be an outcry and regulatory action to follow.

There exists, operative within the UK rail industry and set out in legislation, a Penalty Fares process. Northern, and any others, should not try to circumvent this by inventing a civil equivalent, dressed up to look like a 'fine' or 'penalty fare' but being nothing of the sort - and carefully worded to ensure that it isn't.

Regular and frequent ticket checks (or barriers) soon changes the behaviour of most fare evaders. Most people are actually quite honest (how else would Ebay survive) and, given an opportunity to pay for their journey, they will do so. The level of fare evasion currently (apparently) being suffered by Northern must be attributed in part to the lack of opportunity to purchase a ticket and to a lack of enforcement over a long period of time leading to an anything goes attitude on the part of some passengers.

My local station may be without ticket facilities, I may alight at a station similarly lacking. The guard may not get round.

Another of my local stations may be within a penalty fare area, its only ticket facilities being a (generally non-functioning) permit to travel machine. I have friends who have used the machine (as they must) who have then been queried by the guard as to why they used the PTT machine when they can buy on the train! Rules are rules, you can't pick and choose!

I fear that when travelling, legitimately without a ticket (yet), that overzealous revenue protection staff take a hard-line attitude, assuming that in reality I actually boarded (or interchanged) at a station with ticket purchasing facilities.

I also fear that, having arrived at my destination, in seeking out a ticket purchasing opportunity, I may be accused of attempting to travel without having paid i.e. "would you have bought a ticket if I had not been here today?"

I fear that training of both on-board and platform staff, on the matter of ticketing rules and regulations, is not to the standard it needs to be. Again there are plenty of examples on this forum where the member of staff is, quite simply, wrong, but cannot admit it. I have met this several times on-board with guards who will not accept the validity of my ticket, or it's validity in times of disruption. Northern's employment of agency staff does nothing to convince me of the errors of my opinions. Examples: (1) Virgin Saturday Day Out - yes it is specified train outward but is any train retuning the same day, regardless of reservation held. (2) My train was delayed and as a result I missed my connection, the platform staff gave me new connection times, that is why I am on this train, no I will not be buying a new single ticket nor paying the difference, here are the times they gave me, I wrote them on the corner of my newspaper see. (3) My train was delayed and as a result I missed my connection, so my 3 split combo of single, advance single and OPR still remain valid throughout and are also valid for delay compensation (got the compo without question). (4) A ticket from Hadfield to Stockport is valid via Manchester Piccadilly because it says "route 'via Manchester'" on the ticket and there is no other way of doing the journey (via Leeds, Sheffield, Derby?)

As I say, I come to this forum to learn, to discuss, the hear other viewpoints be they expertise (DaveNewcastle) or personal views (many of the others!).

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I'm not accused of doing anything, my quest for knowledge and understanding is purely for future reference and to discuss the issues. . . . .
You raise a number of interesting points, some of which follow (albeit remotely) from the Railway Byelaws, the subject of this thread, and many do not. I'll offer a response to some of these, but I'll leave some of the personal opinions without comment.

. . the general public who, it seems to me, have few enshrined rights or safeguards, relying instead on a 'TOC' to behave at all times in a fair and reasonable manner. Such behaviour, on the basis of various threads on this forum, not being entirely evident, specifically in relation to the behaviour of Northern and their non-penalty fare civil remedy scheme. Unfortunately we only see one element of the process on this forum, we do not hear, for example, of the (large?) majority of passengers who are simply allowed to buy a ticket . . . . .
This point is interesting because it begins with an assertion (with which I can't agree) and then considers how that point could be balanced with an alternative approach. What I disagree with is that passengers have 'few enshrined rights or safeguards'. I believe that rail passengers have a great many rights and safeguards; I even suspect that a passenger enjoys a greater degree of protection than in many of their homes, workplaces or during alternative modes of travel.

But what I find perplexing about the 'balanced approach' to the issue is that your choice of 'balance' is a non-ticket-holding passenger being "allowed to buy a ticket". I would have thought that the proportionate and balanced state of affairs is to consider is the chronic degree of fare evasion experienced by some of the UK's rail operators, particularly those with a high proportion of local urban travel (including Norther Rail which you refer to several times). I find it helpful to consider options for dealing with ticketless travel in the context of the known characteristics of fare evasion.

Referencing the tradition of reliance on the honesty, "fairness and reasonableness", I would have to balance your observation with the industry's reliance on the honesty, fairness and reasonableness of their passengers. I would note that it is an honesty, fairness and reasonableness which so regularly deserts rail passengers when they're asked about their journey or about their ticket by an Inspector.
I have concerns with the issuing of 'administrative charges' (the £80 + your fare special deal), the underlying threat being, take the easy option or risk a criminal record.
The 'Failure to Pay' scheme (FTP) introduced by Northern Rail 'sits on top' of the existing legislative framework, specifically including the passenger's duty to buy before boarding (where possible) and the principle of 'innocence until proven guilty' which you had misunderstood previously (see posts above).

There is absolutely NO threat of a criminal record which doesn't already exist in the absence of the FTP scheme. In fact it is impossible to find anything other than a reduction in the prospects of a criminal record as a consequence of the FTP scheme; this presents a benefit to the passenger, even to the passenger who intends to avoid paying their fare!
I find the methods used by 'debt collectors', and previously by 'car clampers' unacceptable.
You will find 2 or 3 other members of the forum will share your dislike of the FTP scheme, some of whom seem to be on a campaign to poke criticism at Northern Rail whether or not it is appropriate, balanced or proportionate. - I'm sure they'll welcome your analogies!
But I'm unclear as to whether your analogies are directed at the FTP scheme exclusively operated by Northern Rail, or at the tasks of Revenue Inspectors (with or without an FTP scheme available as a strategy with ticketless passengers in addition to the other remedies).
Circumventing the law for speed, convenience and financial benefit it not acceptable.
I take this remark to be a criticism aimed at Northern Rail's FTP scheme. I disagree that any 'law', whether statute, Byelaw, jurisprudence or process is compromised or circumvented. I strongly refute that claim.
The only 'circumvention' that I can imagine is that a routine and determined fare evader might (without the scheme) be detected and prosecuted successfully, but following the FTP scheme's protocol might well escape prosecution - the first time, at least.

As regards Northern, evidencing that the administrative costs actually are £80 each time would be a good starting point.
I doubt that it is far off from a realistic assessment of the cost of the measures introduced in recent years to tackle the inherrent dishonesty discovered by many fare evading passengers. I justify the assertion of dishonesty by reference to the repeated claims by hundreds of passengers that they boarded at a station closer to the destination when intelligence-led revenue protection blocks are applied - sadly the presumption that passengers would be inherently honest if permitted to pay at their destination is part of the challenge faced by the operators of local urban rail services, such as Northern Rail. I have experience myself of astonishingly entrenched abuses of that trust.

It would be interesting to know what is the proportion of cases where, having issued an £80plus deal, the respondent declines to pay it but no subsequent prosecution takes place.
I don't know. You could ask, as could I, but I expect that my question would reman unanswered due to the sensitivity of the data.
A great number of cases do go forward to the Magistrates Courts.

Again based on the threads posted on this forum, I find the behaviour of Northern heading towards unacceptable (morally if not legally), for example 'lurking behind doors', 'at the bottom of ramps', 'round corners' or even following people down the street.
I'll not respond to this, but refer you again to those on here who will take pleasure from reading your opinions, even when taken out of context.

I say, give passengers a clear and proper opportunity to pay their fare rather than trying to catch out as many as possible to generate civil remedies.
So do I !
I also say 'give the railways the correct fare due, rather than try to pay as little as possible as rarely as possible'.

There exists, operative within the UK rail industry and set out in legislation, a Penalty Fares process. Northern, and any others, should not try to circumvent this by inventing a civil equivalent, dressed up to look like a 'fine' or 'penalty fare' but being nothing of the sort - and carefully worded to ensure that it isn't.
Again, I refer your criticism of Northern Rail to those others on here who enjoy that rhetoric.
Personally, I find that two very great advantages to the passenger which Northern's FTP scheme offers, but which the Penalty Fares schemes do not, makes it quite attractive, not that either apply to the fare paying passenger who doesn't suffer some terrible loss of their wallet en route, or terrible failure of memory of where they were travelling from.

. . . . . < opinions, snipped > . . . . . .

. . I also fear that, having arrived at my destination, in seeking out a ticket purchasing opportunity, I may be accused of attempting to travel without having paid i.e. "would you have bought a ticket if I had not been here today?"
That's a perfectly reasonable way to distinguish a person willing to pay and one who is unwilling, isn't it?

. . . . . < opinions of Northern Rail, snipped > . . . . . .
Again, there are a few others on here who will just love these criticisms. There are also a few who tell their tales of determined fare evaders.

Here's my own little anecdotal contribution taken without context: Of the several instances of a passenger suspected of fare evasion whom I have assisted in recent years, I would say that about 90% of them have, on more thorough investigation or enquiry, turned out to have been concealing another dishonesty which only compounds the accusation of fare evasion (e.g. claiming that the occasion when they were detected was a unique event when it was a regular practice etc.), even trying to deceive the person who might be able to help them. Yes, ninety percent! I find that my dissapointment at that degree of deceit is more concerning to me than any of the fears that you've listed.

Now then, . . . . . . . what was that question about the Byelaws?

Last edited:

Fare-Cop

Here's my own little contribution: Of the several instances of a passenger suspected of fare evasion in recent years, I would say that about 90% of them have, on more thorough investigation or enquiry, turned out to have been concealing another dishonesty which only compounds the accusation of fare evasion (e.g. claiming that the occasion when they were detected was a unique event when it was a regular practice etc.), even trying to deceive the person who might be able to help them. I find that my dissapointment at that degree of deceit is more concerning to me than any of the fears that you've listed.

I fully support Dave's view and suggest that perhaps a few more statistics might be of interest

What percentage of posters who come seeking help through this & other forums, expressing shock, disgust, anger etc. at how a rail company has 'accused' them of fare evasion, actually start off their threads by saying that they are seeking help to achieve out of court settlements? Why would you want to pay substantial fees if you are absolutely certain that you've done nothing wrong?

How many posters who are adamant that they are innocent and will fight any allegation actually do so and come back to tell us how they successfully defended the charge in Court?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.