• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

pre employment medical advice needed lads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
I have recently just left the forces after completing 12 years and some pretty hostile tours I need a change. I have passed all my interviews and assessment's and have the final hurdle of a medical to go so here it is.

I stupidly have just done a course of testosterone prop and trenbolone ethenate and I am attending my pre employment medical in a short for east Midlands trains as a depot driver.

now have I destroyed my chances of getting a job because of these steroids or are they just screening for the normal rec drugs not steroids. will high end test levels be detected.

please advice as this is the best opportunity I have had to be home full time with my family and regret doing the course of steroids and will stop and have stopped any drivers on here or other professionals know if they are tested for worked so hard to loose it now.

had blood pressure checked running 144 over 78 and everything else is good just panicking about the drug screening as I believe I gets sent to a lab advice will be appreciated lads. I have passed the normal 10 bar **** in a bottle test as I don't do rec drugs.

Wow! I admire the honesty but - as I'm sure you are well aware - testosterone is not something to be messed with.

If you're lucky a high test reading may just be treated as evidence that you're a very masculine chap!

The One

You prob better off saying you taking these for your body building and plea you didn't or don't know they are allowed or not.If you declare this before hand its lot better before they find it.If they are banned they will poss give you time to get it out of your system then retest.In my experience on the railway if you declare before hand companies will help out if you declare after you had urine test and get found out then don't stand a chance.But I do know they test for all the street drugs funny fags etc lol diabetes etc but if honest not sure about steroids I know it's a hard one to call as thinking what if I say or keep quiet but be warned they will ask you have you taking any medication in last two weeks etc

Chew Chew

Maybe not the best idea naming the train company when we know that they monitor sites like this?

I would suspect the OP would be relatively easy for the company to identify with the details given?

Wolf

I might be wrong but I was under the impression that it was controlled drugs and alcohol which strictly arnt allowed on railway. I'm not sure steroids come under banned substances, like the obvious ones which do - alcohol, cannabis etc ....Don't get me wrong when you go to medical you must declare anything which u think may be in your system when the nurse asks u , even if u just had an aspirin day before , which was case with mine but im not convinced that the drugs u may have in your system are actually disallowed. I would try to find out before hand what are band substances on the railway ? There should be a list provided by East Midlands. If what you have is a banned substance ur potentially in trouble , if not then don't worry ur not in breach of railway rules on drugs , main thing is you declare it regardless so some strange chemical isn't found in ur system with no explaination. You could quite possibly be on Medication from doctor and it wouldn't hurt ur chances of passing medical as long as you told them that you were on it

Last edited:

The One

Yeah I'm not totally sure if they are banned they are only interested in drugs that effect your ability to focus and do your job safely.They steroids might even be out of your system by the time not sure how long they take to remove from your urine.Read up on it to see how long and at same time do home work to see if they are allowed.If they are not and takes ages for the steroids to break down in your body my advice would be declare before this way you won't come across as trying to hide some thing cause if you don't declare and they find it.It won't look good

6Gman

Established Member
Yeah I'm not totally sure if they are banned they are only interested in drugs that effect your ability to focus and do your job safely.They steroids might even be out of your system by the time not sure how long they take to remove from your urine.Read up on it to see how long and at same time do home work to see if they are allowed.If they are not and takes ages for the steroids to break down in your body my advice would be declare before this way you won't come across as trying to hide some thing cause if you don't declare and they find it.It won't look good

High testosterone levels can be associated with behavioural changes which definitely would be relevant.

Everywhere

I had several steroid injections in my scalp after suffering from a few patches of alopecia just prior to my medical, and being worried it would show up in my drug screen I mentioned it to the nurse who took my sample and then again to the doctor and both separately said they aren't testing for anything other than recreational drugs and never even made a note about what I was telling them I had. I reckon you have nothing to worry about and should keep it to yourself.

30 common

keep it to yourself.

No no no. Do not keep it to yourself. The thing with the railway is if you lie about something you are putting the nails in your own coffin. Be honest otherwise it could come and bite you in the arse.

Llama

Established Member
Absolutely agreed. Stop taking this stuff if you want a career on the railway. If you blag it and get found out you will be out of a job overnight, that much is guaranteed, even if only for violating a drugs & alcohol policy for simply not disclosing. The training can be so intense, and you are watched 100% of the time, constant reports being written on you, regular exams etc, that if these things change your behaviour I bet it will be spotted. Us driver instructors and driver managers have a canny way of getting into trainees heads. Even if you are not going mainline the training and pressures can be similar.

Everywhere

No no no. Do not keep it to yourself. The thing with the railway is if you lie about something you are putting the nails in your own coffin. Be honest otherwise it could come and bite you in the arse.

Fully agree with honesty is best policy but in this unique instance they are not and will not be testing for steroids so shopping yourself will end your career before it evens starts

Llama

Established Member
Irrespective, I wouldn't like to have to give a sample knowing that I have given a false declaration (not disclosing steroid use), that is a timebomb in the OP's potential career. I would imagine also that EMT HR will be aware - HR and Operations people do monitor forums like this, they can be quite eye-opening.

TDK

Established Member
I might be wrong but I was under the impression that it was controlled drugs and alcohol which strictly arnt allowed on railway.

There are many substances not permitted, codeine for instance, you get this in many pain killers even off the shelf so to be fair anything you take that isn't Paracetamol, asprin or ibuprofen should be notified when you are actually working for the railway so this policy will be in force when you take your medical.

It is always best to inform the medical officer/doctor of anything you have taken, even the drugs mentioned above and take the bottle with you at a medical. As for steroids and testosterone, if these substances affect your ability to work on the railway and you have them in your system you will fail the medical.

Llama

Established Member
You also render yourself liable to prosecution if you were to have a serious incident at work and all of this came out.

The samples you give won't just be tested for D&A, they will be tested for a whole host of medical conditions. If use of steroids didn't flag something up I would be very surprised. You need to be clean to work on the railway, end of.

Johncleesefan

Absolutely do mention it in the medical and perhaps before to east midlands. If you don't declare it then they find out you will have stuffed your chances all together. If you do declare it then you can explain and the ball is more in your court

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
It's unlikely that they have the equipment to test for anabolic steroids (these are different from corticosteroids), but nevertheless, honesty is the best policy. You'd probably be best of stopping them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.