• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pre-Nationalisation References in Station Names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Derby was renamed Derby Midland just before privatisation, probably so the future Midland Mainline could get a bit of free publicity.

Welshman

Established Member
I suspect Warrington Central has retained its suffix - not only to distinguish it from Warrington Bank Quay, but also as a reminder it was on the original GC route from Manchester Central to Liverpool Central.

Eagle

Established Member
Wrexham Central is another ex-GCR station.

Leyton Midland Road is a slightly more oblique one (although the station was owned by the Midland before the creation of LMS).

Then there are those that have changed slightly since nationalization, such as Dorchester Southern and Dorchester Great Western becoming just South and West respectively.

Last edited:

deltic

Established Member
Bedford Midland - one of many Midland named stations - last survivor?

W-on-Sea

Established Member
The old Kings Cross Thameslink was previously Kings Cross Midland, and before that Kings Cross Metropolitan. I think West Hampstead Thameslink had a spell as West Hampstead Midland too. And pre-WAGN the Moorgate to Stevenage/Hertford service was generally referred to as the GN/Great Northern Electrics (I think there are still some signs remaining with this on even now). In most cases, though, I think the closure or merging of different company's stations has done away with most of these: the continuing existence of separate stations on different lines built by different companies at West Hampstead and (until recently) Kings Cross helps explain the persistence of those designations.

deltic

Established Member
I suspect Warrington Central has retained its suffix - not only to distinguish it from Warrington Bank Quay, but also as a reminder it was on the original GC route from Manchester Central to Liverpool Central.

Why have recent stations been called Central when they are the only station in town - eg Milton Keynes Central and Telford Central - seems odd when the move has been to drop station names when there is only one station in a town/city

Eagle

Established Member
There are five stations in Milton Keynes, and three in Telford. In both cases, the "Central" station is a lot newer than the others :P

(Also "Milton Keynes Central" is the actual name of the place, to distinguish it from "Milton Keynes Village" about two miles away.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.