• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pre-war non-corridor coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

Can anyone remind me how many seats there were across the typical suburban non-corridor coach - the type with slam doors on each side of the coach. Did these coaches carry more people, sitting, than modern 2+3 stock?

Just interested - I remember them in the 1940s, mainly on the CLC line from Manchester Central to Liverpool, being so full of cigarette smoke that it was difficult seeing across them! (Or so it seemed... and in winter the condensation ran down the windows into the drip channels, and then down into a small hole.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matchmaker

Established Member
Can anyone remind me how many seats there were across the typical suburban non-corridor coach - the type with slam doors on each side of the coach. Did these coaches carry more people, sitting, than modern 2+3 stock?

Just interested - I remember them in the 1940s, mainly on the CLC line from Manchester Central to Liverpool, being so full of cigarette smoke that it was difficult seeing across them! (Or so it seemed... and in winter the condensation ran down the windows into the drip channels, and then down into a small hole.)

A lot more..........a standard LMS 57' all third had 108 seats in 9 compartments.

eMeS

Thanks for your reply - I had a vague feeling that it was 6 aside, but had no idea how many compartments there were.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
The BR suburban coaches we have at the KWVR are varied in capacity, however the full standard class compartment coaches have 9 compartments which seat 12 people each. Some of the compartments still have the original little sign above the bench seat which says "6 seats" on it.

Details here. (This coach built 1954)

The LMS version of the same coach, built in 1938, is identical in layout - it is just the body that is different.

6Gman

Established Member
In the 1950s there was a Summer Saturday Paignton - Paddington train which was booked for non-corridor stock. Must have been a grim journey, but it soaked up an awful lot of passengers!

Mind you, people were a lot thinner in those days!

eMeS

In the 1950s there was a Summer Saturday Paignton - Paddington train which was booked for non-corridor stock. Must have been a grim journey, but it soaked up an awful lot of passengers!

Doesn't smoking keep you thin(ner)?

My reason for asking about "Pre-war" stock is that in 1949 we moved from the west of Manchester (where we used the CLC line) to the south of Manchester, and travelled by bus instead. Consequently my early memories of commuter style rail travel are all pre-1949, and I assumed that the stock would have been built before WWII. It was a great adventure to visit the North Wales coast by train for the annual holiday, as the route took us into "foreign" territory at Chester, and I spent hours watching activities in the Colwyn Bay goods yard.

6Gman

Established Member
Doesn't smoking keep you thin(ner)?

My reason for asking about "Pre-war" stock is that in 1949 we moved from the west of Manchester (where we used the CLC line) to the south of Manchester, and travelled by bus instead. Consequently my early memories of commuter style rail travel are all pre-1949, and I assumed that the stock would have been built before WWII. It was a great adventure to visit the North Wales coast by train for the annual holiday, as the route took us into "foreign" territory at Chester, and I spent hours watching activities in the Colwyn Bay goods yard.[/QUOTE]

I hope you waved to my dad if he was firing!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
A good friend of mine as a young rolling stock controller on the GN section made up a complete rake of pre- war stock for the 1720 KX - Hitchin in the early 1960.s - got away with it for several months (ex GWR , LMS, LNER and SR) - until senior management saw this disreputably caravan one night , when the proverbial hit the fan.

Bevan Price

Established Member

I presume it had one or two booked "Z-stops" on the way (stops for toilet purposes ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.