• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Precluded injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

TagJet

With regards to the medical for train driver, are there any physical injuries that will preclude you from driving? I have a back issue but I’ve not been operated on, only been prescribed medication and occasional physio. Want to clear up this potential hiccup before I put my all into the recruitment process.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quin79

I've been thinking the same after having a hearing test today which has revealed moderate loss between 1 and 2khz which does not meet the standards. Not something you can improve upon as has to be unaided hearing test with TOC I am in the process for. Would be gutting to pass everything and fail at the final hurdle with the medical.

RailDemon89

With your back injury i think it would depend on how serious it is and how long it is going to last aswell as what type of medication your on and how long your going to be on them. If it just a temporary thing and you could show proof of that you maybe fine. I am not sure whether you have to give consent to medical records aswell. I did mine a long time ago now so i have forgot

TagJet

I’m not on long term medication, I just have a bad back basically but it’s bad enough for me to have been back and forth to doctor in recent years. The job I do now is far more physical than a train driver and I manage pretty well. I am just concerned because it seems employers nowadays will preclude people automatically without really taking into consideration their individual circumstances and condition, despite there being a legal requirement that they do so (disability discrimination).

Pete C

It's more to do with what meds you're taking, if they're liable to make you drowsy then you won't be able to drive a train.

TagJet

I’m on meds that carry the generic ‘may make you drowsy’ but they don’t make me drowsy or tired at all. I guess I’m just over thinking things. I think I could easily just come off them anyway if it looks likely I’ll be getting a medical at some point in the future. Thanks for the replies.

tsr

Established Member
I’m on meds that carry the generic ‘may make you drowsy’ but they don’t make me drowsy or tired at all. I guess I’m just over thinking things. I think I could easily just come off them anyway if it looks likely I’ll be getting a medical at some point in the future. Thanks for the replies.

If the warning is worded "this medication may make you drowsy" rather than "you must not drive / operate heavy machinery", then I believe Occupational Health staff usually look upon it more kindly, and will often allow an employee to have a trial where they carefully look out for any side effects whilst off-duty.

Stigy

Established Member
It’s not necessarily just about the meds making you drowsy. Some medication contains small traces of otherwise illegal substances, which would show up on a drugs screen even months after you stop taking it. I suggest asking your GP about the medication you’re on. I think you’d be surprised at just how many people are on medication for all manner of things, and hopefully this will be something and nothing.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I've been thinking the same after having a hearing test today which has revealed moderate loss between 1 and 2khz which does not meet the standards. Not something you can improve upon as has to be unaided hearing test with TOC I am in the process for. Would be gutting to pass everything and fail at the final hurdle with the medical.

Whilst not ideal for a potential employee to do, but there are discrimination laws! If you can achieve the standard with Hearing Aids, there is no reason to discriminate. Don't be fooled by the "Safety" argument, nothing but a smokescreen to make it easier for them. The Rail Industry standards were updated to reflect the use of digital hearing aids to pass tests.

Quin79

Whilst not ideal for a potential employee to do, but there are discrimination laws! If you can achieve the standard with Hearing Aids, there is no reason to discriminate. Don't be fooled by the "Safety" argument, nothing but a smokescreen to make it easier for them. The Rail Industry standards were updated to reflect the use of digital hearing aids to pass tests.

Thanks for this, agree not ideal for a prospective employee to rock the boat in this way, but you are right. Not sure if you can take a test if had hearing aids in, as some are push in bud type tests, also I'm at very early stage of identifying this alleged hearing loss at mid range, can't say I've ever noticed any issue to be fair, neither have I had any issues in my current role in policing. Still a few hurdles to get through yet before I get to a medical, so we shall see. :)

Mtrain

despite there being a legal requirement that they do so (disability discrimination).
Employers have an exemption from the equality and disabilities act if and only if it is to do with Safety and/or cost. I don’t know if it will or will not stop the application but it isn’t a discrimination if it meets one or more of those two requirements

Aivilo

Medication is the biggest factor when it comes to safety critical positions on the railway. Even non drowsy items can remove you from duties so be very honest and clear on your medical as they will generally ask for your medical records

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Employers have an exemption from the equality and disabilities act if and only if it is to do with Safety and/or cost. I don’t know if it will or will not stop the application but it isn’t a discrimination if it meets one or more of those two requirements

Employers are obliged to make any and all reasonable adjustments. End of. Of course, one mans reasonable...

Mtrain

Employers are obliged to make any and all reasonable adjustments. End of. Of course, one mans reasonable...
Of course. But the reasonable part does include cost factors. And of course they use safety as a way to discriminate over lots of things. Like I can’t do anything about their not employing me at certain roles due to my colour deficiency even though the cost of correction is low but according to them the impact on safety is high.

ComUtoR

Established Member

There is a minimal medical requirement for entry. If that requirement is not met then you will not get the job. There is only one reasonable requirement that I am aware of that railway recruitment must adhere to and that is for a protected characteristic.

The minimal medical requirements are found on the RSSB website and are constantly brought up in this subsection. I would urge anyone with a medical complaint/condition/ailment/etc. to read them. A lot is determined by the Occupational Health Department of the TOC and they will know the minutiae or each condition and how it apply to each role.

As to a back problem. Unfortunately, last week at my TOC, we lost a Driver to a long term back problem.

Quin79

There is a minimal medical requirement for entry. If that requirement is not met then you will not get the job. There is only one reasonable requirement that I am aware of that railway recruitment must adhere to and that is for a protected characteristic.

The minimal medical requirements are found on the RSSB website and are constantly brought up in this subsection. I would urge anyone with a medical complaint/condition/ailment/etc. to read them. A lot is determined by the Occupational Health Department of the TOC and they will know the minutiae or each condition and how it apply to each role.

As to a back problem. Unfortunately, last week at my TOC, we lost a Driver to a long term back problem.

Thanks for that.....I've already contacted the TOC I'm in the process for and sent them my results and waiting for their Occupational Health to respond .....I don't want to be wasting my own time and stress going through the process if at end the decision would be they won't take me.....If that's the case I will remain in policing and count down my 15 years until I can retire at 55 on my Sergeants pension.....I'd rather not but hey ho

Stuart-h

Im not a driver but one of the blokes in orange. Any time I have anything from the doctor or go to the likes of bootsi have to declaire it to the office I work out off.

Personally I'd say to the toc what meds your on and take it with you if you do get an interview.

BrummieJim

Thanks for that.....I've already contacted the TOC I'm in the process for and sent them my results and waiting for their Occupational Health to respond .....I don't want to be wasting my own time and stress going through the process if at end the decision would be they won't take me.....If that's the case I will remain in policing and count down my 15 years until I can retire at 55 on my Sergeants pension.....I'd rather not but hey ho
How did you get on with occupational health? I've got a medical coming up in the next month or so and i'm also a bit concerned regarding my hearing. Looking at the requirements regarding the higher frequencies I think its going to be close.

Quin79

How did you get on with occupational health? I've got a medical coming up in the next month or so and i'm also a bit concerned regarding my hearing. Looking at the requirements regarding the higher frequencies I think its going to be close.
They've advised I continue with the process and will test at medical...if I get that far

BrummieJim

They've advised I continue with the process and will test at medical...if I get that far
Fair enough. I never gave it a thought when I first started the assessments but now I’m at medical stage I suppose I’m just over thinking everything. I suppose there’s no point worrying over things out of our own control.

Quin79

Fair enough. I never gave it a thought when I first started the assessments but now I’m at medical stage I suppose I’m just over thinking everything. I suppose there’s no point worrying over things out of our own control.
Good on you and well done getting to medical. I've my assessment day in July and bricking it as so badly want to get through. Hope all goes ok with your medical

BrummieJim

Good on you and well done getting to medical. I've my assessment day in July and bricking it as so badly want to get through. Hope all goes ok with your medical
Thank you and good luck to you too. I’m sure you’ll be fine. I was the same leading up to it. I’m sure you’ve dealt with much worse in your profession. This will be a stroll in the park

Quin79

Thank you and good luck to you too. I’m sure you’ll be fine. I was the same leading up to it. I’m sure you’ve dealt with much worse in your profession. This will be a stroll in the park
Very true. Just many years of not having to do tests etc, apart from studying for the promotion exam, but that was very different to these tests. Either have it or you don't is what I think/feel

Stigy

Established Member
I was exactly the same. Eyes and ears. Both were fine in the end. I didn’t even think about my hearing but then because I was over thinking, I discovered tinnitus that I never new I had haha. I apparently didn’t miss any of the beeps so my ears must be okay.

Do you have any known conditions with your hearing?

slidingdoors

I can’t remember the standards. But I printed them and took to along to a private hearing test I had ahead of the medical one, as like others here I was worried. He said you would have quite severe hearing to not hear the frequencies mentioned in the standards. And people that wear hearing aids day to day would have a shot at passing. Not sure how accurate it is but he was an audiologist obviously.. Might put people some people’s mind at rest.

BrummieJim

I was exactly the same. Eyes and ears. Both were fine in the end. I didn’t even think about my hearing but then because I was over thinking, I discovered tinnitus that I never new I had haha. I apparently didn’t miss any of the beeps so my ears must be okay.

Do you have any known conditions with your hearing?
I have had a couple of hearing tests recently. One at boots and another through the NHS. I cant remember the exact results but i think i'l be ok with the lower frequencies. The 2 kHz was the worst and i was given the option to try hearing aids, but it was my choice. The fact that I was offered the choice suggested to me that its not as bad as it could be but at the same time, why offer them in the first place.

I personally feel like I can hear all around me. I can make a conversation on the phone and hear all alarms and warnings that i need to hear. I just hope thats going to be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.