• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Predictions for how new timetable will cope on May 20th and 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And yet that connection will be the same train. On an Ormskirk -> Preston -> Blackpool South -> Preston -> Colne -> Preston -> Ormskirk diagram.

This is where the straight 5/8/10 minutes minimum connection times, are a) stupid and b) I think some times used by TOCs to avoid making what would otherwise be valid connection. Now if the incoming train is late, they don't have to pay delay re-pay because it was less than the minimum connection time.

They just need to put them in the system as through trains as they are and always will be (in this TT) through trains. Then just put enough publicity out there explaining why they are only so in one direction.

They could resurrect the Lancashire Lines branding (see attachment) to describe the 3-branch "circuit".

Attachments

• pacer1.jpg
    pacer1.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 149
  • pacer2.jpg
    pacer2.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 136
They just need to put them in the system as through trains as they are and always will be (in this TT) through trains. Then just put enough publicity out there explaining why they are only so in one direction.

They could resurrect the Lancashire Lines branding (see attachment) to describe the 3-branch "circuit".
Oh wow, those flyers are comedy gold! Can a Pacer even do 75mph?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Best we assume that timetable planners get it right, signallers skills are sharp and we don’t run out of paper and ink cartridges for the printed simplifiers.

Looks like one possible mistake at Redhill - 0828 arrival from Reading is booked into platform 1 to sit until 0842 when it goes to Gatwick.

Platform 0 is needed 0835 to 0845 for Gatwick / Reigate to London Victoria

Platform 2 is needed 0838 to 0839 for Horsham to Bedford.

Tonbridge arrival is due at 0831 and leaves at 0855.

Next Reading arrival needs platform 1 from 0846 to 0851.

Platform 0 needed southbound 0849 to 0859.

Upshot of this must be that the Reading to Redhill train (0828 arrival) needs to be held at signal T492 until the Tonbridge train (0831 arrival) has arrived so it is going to be at least five minutes late arriving every day, maybe more waiting for the Gatwick arrival (0834 arrival) as well.

Last edited:

TUC

Established Member
I wonder if any of the commentators here have even the slightest clue how difficult it has been to put this timetable, particularly the northern & TL timetables, together. Perhaps think about that when using your undoubted experience to criticise others.
It might well be difficult. Customers are still entitled to criticise when a change is detrimental to them.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I can think of an easy solution to that one...
If we go back to the introduction of SN DOO operation to Southampton exactly the same ‘reasons why it wasn’t going to happen’ came up, just before the platform lighting was upgraded...

Sunset route

Looks like one possible mistake at Redhill - 0828 arrival from Reading is booked into platform 1 to sit until 0842 when it goes to Gatwick.

Upshot of this must be that the Reading to Redhill train (0828 arrival) needs to be held at signal T492 until the Tonbridge train (0831 arrival) has arrived so it is going to be at least five minutes late arriving every day, maybe more waiting for the Gatwick arrival (0834 arrival) as well.

That was spotted at work the other day when the simplifiers were being printed, I’m not aware as of yet if there were any solutions.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Clearly some staff don't have a lot of faith. On a shortformed service this evening, the guard announced "I don't know what's actually going to happen on May 20th when we have the exact same problem with even more services but a lack of trains. Seemingly Northern is short of everything at the minute"

Failed Unit

Established Member
Well its good so many people have been involved and signed it off. Shame about the issues that litter it, Peckham Rye Plat 1 looks superb just after 1730... http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/PMR/2018/05/22/1724?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

I am also amazed it was signed off. The way they have put more they have got more trains stopping at Welwyn north the biggest bottle neck on the Ecml. Considering it’s passenger numbers i am amazed they consider it worth the performance risk.

We will see how it copes with the first signal failure on the Moorgate branch or dewirement in the Hornsey area?

Expect lots of skip stopping as even the slightest delay will rapidly snowball.

Established Member
It wasnt signed off, it was forced through. Hence the amazement that MK have someone declaring any complaints as ignorant... Wait until the TOCs that are not GTR and have been told to be quiet start seeing the resultant performance hit and kick off big time!!

johntea

Established Member
Clearly some staff don't have a lot of faith. On a shortformed service this evening, the guard announced "I don't know what's actually going to happen on May 20th when we have the exact same problem with even more services but a lack of trains. Seemingly Northern is short of everything at the minute"

The guard on the 19:12 Leeds to Knottingley today was rather optimistic that the issue of a 1 car unit would be sorted with the timetable change next week, they did fail to mention people would have to turn up 14 minutes earlier to catch it though!

Which leads to another point, it will be interesting to see how many Woodlesford / Castleford / Glasshoughton passengers manage to end up on the extra new Leeds to Knottingley services and end up having an unexpected trip to Wakefield!

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Been informed that the new Thameslink timetable is going to pot earlier than expected.

Due to Southeastern not stopping at Higham to pick up TL’s shortfalls (hourly service gaps in places), it’s buses from Higham to Strood and back in the other hour.

Also, Catford Loop trains are thinner than were promised.

All of this adds up to a complete farce for the start of the TT.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

That was spotted at work the other day when the simplifiers were being printed, I’m not aware as of yet if there were any solutions.

It seems to have been fixed - 0704 Reading to Gatwick Airport has a 7 minute dwell at Guildford (0746-0753) and 5 minute dwell at Reigate (0827-0832) so it can slot into the usual Gatwick path from there.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C42978/2018/05/22/advanced

Sunset route

It seems to have been fixed - 0704 Reading to Gatwick Airport has a 7 minute dwell at Guildford (0746-0753) and 5 minute dwell at Reigate (0827-0832) so it can slot into the usual Gatwick path from there.

When they were looking at our simplifiers yesterday, they were looking at options. Now whether what you say is a result of that, I do not know. If it wasn’t then our printed workings are already out of date and wrong!

geoffk

Established Member
I think you overestimate the amount of people that would travel all the way to Blackpool.
Most people travel to places like Greece & Spain for their holidays rather than Blackpool.
But, on the other hand, Liverpool gets its direct Blackpool service back.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The curremt Redhill slot is the 8:46 arrival from Reading with an arrival of 8:59 into Gatwick. This being the 7:34 service from Reading. If that didn't need to be a stopping service been Reading and Guildford then it could easily make an earlier slot to arrive into Gatwick Aiport by 8:51. However if so many passengers travelling between intermediate stations between Reading and Guildford it needs to make the extra stops.

There will definitely be people caught out because the trains leave Reading at the same time as they do now. The only differences to the 7.04 is that after arriving into Guilldford at 7:47 it will wait for 7 minutes rather than the 1 minute it currently does and it will go to Gatwick Airport, which it doesn't so now.

Of course passengers will be on the 7:34 as that is the direct train to Gatwick. Well it was but it isn't now. It wtill terminate at Redhill and passengers wil have to wait at Redhill for 13 minutes before a connecting train takes them to Gatwick, arriving 9:09.

Will those with heavy luggage want to change at Redhill? Will they appreoapprthe slower journey times?

The asvanayge of getting the 7:34 is that your journey time is faster than the 7:04 but still not as fats as the ffurent 7:34. The disadvantage is you have to change.

It also interesting to note that the 7:04 is the only train close to the hour that goes to Gatwick Airport direct. For all other hours, you have to leave around the half hour. I'm sure that in itself will also catch some out who think every direct train to Gatwick leaves just after 30 minutes passed the hour.

Incidentally the 15:28; 20:29 and 21:26 all leave before 30 past, where as all the others are post 30 past. That will catch people out too.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Another one. I wonder how many will get the 17:32 expecting it to stop at the smaller intermediate stations between Reading and Guildford. In future it will be a fast service.

So Reading loses a fast service to Gatwick in the morning but gains one in the evening.

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
The new EMT HSTs may not be ready by Monday, so the 222 diagram may come off the Ivanhoe, and some 222 pairs may be shortformed to cover for this.
A Liverpool - Norwich diagram may be shortformed to provide stock for the Ivanhoe stopper.

nr758123

TPE's first day serving Marsden and Greenfield on the new Manchester-Leeds has involved multiple cancellations. Not encouraging when we haven't even got to the first working day and apparently it's ok to create a three hour gap between services.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Thameslink and Great Northern in absolute meltdown today. All of their North Kent services cancelled.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I didn’t expect GTRs incompetence to show up so quickly. Was expecting a total collapse this week but not on the first day....

jon0844

Veteran Member
Having had some annual leave recently with not much to do because of the rainy weather, I've spent a bit of time putting the May timetable into King's Cross Simsig, which is a pretty accurate representation of reality as far as things go.

I don't have Simsig but have been running some simulations of my own, involving formatting my PC hard drive and setting fire to my house.

Seems to be a pretty good reflection of services so far today.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Truly amazing how quickly it's falling apart and we haven't even seen the peaks yet...

I hope that with more drivers tomorrow, there will be a better service than today. But if trains are out of position, there are likely problems.

I know of one cancellation in the morning so far, and one service that will start from another station.

bramling

Veteran Member
I don't have Simsig but have been running some simulations of my own, involving formatting my PC hard drive and setting fire to my house.

Seems to be a pretty good reflection of services so far today.

What I will say is that the timetable works pretty well with no disruptions. Unfortunately the moment late running, incidents and delays are introduced, even pretty modestly, it turns very sour very quickly - just as we all predicted. And of course this is the descoped we-failed-to-deliver-all-of-what-we-promised Thameslink service. I dread to think what the originally proposed service would look like.

Just need a 700 to bring the wires down somewhere on GN, one to sit down at Farringdon, and a signal failure at Croydon to well and truly complete the Thameslink shambles.

DanNCL

Established Member
Not doing well on the Tyne Valley line this morning. First train from Hexham to Newcastle is cancelled and the second one will be at least 10 minutes late.

Status
Not open for further replies.