• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work on Okehampton Line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
^So what's the point? it appears on open trains as 657P going along the signalling blocks,View attachment 92592
Certain FOCs - including Colas Railfreight, DB Cargo and DRS - insist that the reporting numbers of their trains are scrambled and don't show locomotive allocations on public-facing forums and websites, such as RTT, Traksy and Open Trains. This may be for reasons of commercial confidentiality, security (especially in the case of DRS nuclear services).....or just because they want to piss off rail enthusiasts! :lol: (Surely not!). Other companies - such as GBRf take a more enlightened view and are happy to publicise both the correct headcodes of their trains and the number of the locomotive(s) allocated. This scrambling of headcodes is known as 'obfustication'. There are, however, ways and means of finding out the correct headcodes....sometimes with the assistance of the kind people on here who have access to TOPS and TRUST.

Last edited:

Devonman2014

Two 70’s top n tailed on 12 flatbed wagons full of new concrete sleepers piled 3 high.

How many more sleepers do they need down there ?

Devonman2014

I believe these trains are for the Tarka line works coming up soon at Newton St Cyres.

Thought that material was being bought in on trains that night (overnight of 9th and 10th April) as mentioned in Posts 321 & 322 which are both operated by GBRF.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Again that is the scrambled Headcode and not the real one.

But this is the whole point. Railway staff who understand / have access to, know the 651P is not a "real" headcode, but other enthusiasts don't have the access or knowledge to decipher obfusticated headcodes, so have to rely on RTT etc for the information.

Established Member
But this is the whole point. Railway staff who understand / have access to, know the 651P is not a "real" headcode, but other enthusiasts don't have the access or knowledge to decipher obfusticated headcodes, so have to rely on RTT etc for the information.
But it's well known and even on various RTT pages that it's not the real Headcode.

REVUpminster

So 657P is 6C46 so to me that still means it is freight restricted to 60mph (6) and addition of the C usually means west to Devon and Cornwall. i suppose if it had N I might think nuclear.

Established Member
Anybody know what 6G70 is coming down on the 9 April? Odd line closure that week with the whole line closed then just Crediton to Barnstaple. Signalling? point moving?
Will be an engineers train of some description. There are about 20 different sites along the line having various different forms of work done. None of which involve Okehampton.
The week of the 12th maybe the bridge replacement and associated track works, points renewal etc at Penstone although last I heard this was due to be done in a closure in May - maybe a case of time will tell on that one....
There doesn't seem to be any points work being done, but there are bridge works at Yeoford, Track relaying between Crediton and Portsmouth Arms (which is what the sleepers delivered this week are for) Various relaying works up towards Barnstaple, Various drainage works and off track works and platform enhancements being done at Eggesford.

Thought that material was being bought in on trains that night (overnight of 9th and 10th April) as mentioned in Posts 321 & 322 which are both operated by GBRF.
They will likely be for ballast delivery and then removal of spoil etc.

I heard this was due to be done in a closure in May - maybe a case of time will tell on that one....
I can't find any reference to a line closure in May...

Last edited:

Brush 4

BBC Breakfast report live from Okehampton this morning. On Iplayer later on perhaps. NR man said 13,000 sleepers and 6 miles of rail delivered. Drone footage showed a 70 at the platform with a load of what appeared to be track panels. presumably to head down the line to the work site. Also mentioned, a 2 hourly service this year (no date) and an hourly service in 2022. I guess the 'subject to final approval of costs and contracts' proviso has been sorted then.

Also, this from Devon Live
Dartmoor rail line will return this year for first time in half a century - Devon Live

That report did mention construction work over the next 9 months so, a December opening?

Last edited:

And on again right now (0842)
Indeed unfortunately you wont be getting the MK2's in the platform :lol:.

On another thread we had a debate about Heritage Lines having regular services, but you look at the amount of work they are doing and this emphasises the difference between a Heritage Railway and today's Mainline Standards.

Last edited:

21C101

Established Member
December 2021 Reopening seemingly confirmed, and looks like I owe RevUpminster an apology as apparently hourly from 2022.

fgwrich

Established Member
I believe these trains are for the Tarka line works coming up soon at Newton St Cyres.

Purely out of curiosity, do we know what work will be taking place at Newton St Cyres - eg, track lowering, platform heightening etc? It has to quite possibly be the lowest platform of any station in England at the moment (and that's with a Harrington Hump half way down the platform)

pompeyfan

Established Member
out of curiosity where did the heritage line used to run between? Was it just a shuttle between Sampford Courtney and Okehampton?

steamybrian

Established Member
out of curiosity where did the heritage line used to run between? Was it just a shuttle between Sampford Courtney and Okehampton?

Also between Okehampton and Meldon Viaduct halt which I did several years ago on a "Thumper" unit

REVUpminster

I think it will open a lot sooner than December and the hourly service will be from the December timetable otherwise it will not happen before May 2022.

I was pleased to see turbos mentioned, presumably 166s unless they use the training 165 on this service. Exeter should have it's full complement of turbos by then being maintained at Exeter and not shipped back to Bristol.

Paignton has to have 3 car turbos or 2X150s for the school run for which they recently ran two 2 car 165s coupled together.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Was it just a shuttle between Sampford Courtney and Okehampton?

I could be wrong but I thought it was just a shuttle between Okehampton and Meldon Quarry and didn't venture beyond Okehampton in the Exeter Direction. But then I only visited on the days when the GWR service was running so perhaps they weren't allowed to operate in that direction at the same time as GWR were passing through?

21C101

Established Member
I could be wrong but I thought it was just a shuttle between Okehampton and Meldon Quarry and didn't venture beyond Okehampton in the Exeter Direction. But then I only visited on the days when the GWR service was running so perhaps they weren't allowed to operate in that direction at the same time as GWR were passing through?
It used to venture up the rest of the line to Sampford on some summer weekdays a nd Saturdays when the Exeter services didn't run.

Seems that DRSA will be staying and continuing to run between Okehampton and Meldon.

Status
Not open for further replies.