• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Premier Inn/Travelodge hotels in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Looking for one of the above hotels that is near to a station/Tube which has quick links to London Victoria station. Obviously the ones closest to Victoria are going to be more expensive, so I don't mind having to travel from somewhere in outer London to get to it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Croydon Central travelodge is 5-10 mins walk from East Croydon station, from whence there are frequent trains to Victoria.

telstarbox

Established Member
Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
Not close to Victoria, but we've stayed at Premier Inn (I believe it is listed as Harrow) but is in fact a 2 minute walk to Kenton tube station on the Bakerloo line. Tfl journey planner shows it as around 40 minutes on the tube to Embankment, when you can change for a Circle/District service to Vic.

Not sure how good this would be for you, but we've always found it a good place to base ourselves on a 2/3 day trip to the capital.

Established Member
Don't mind walking from the station to the hotel, should be light on luggage. Was thinking Croydon, so will have a look at that area.

rail-britain

Established Member
When do you require the accomodation / which nights?

I have been comparing 3 nights for my next trip; central London comes in at about £110 per night, but add a weekend and it drops to £95 per night (same company)
However just a few miles outside and this almost halves
Ironically it is next to the Olympic Park at Stratford, so will be using the Javelin service between Euston and Stratford

What you could do is stay along a route from London Victoria, slightly cheaper accomodation but with rail travel

Bungle73

On Moderation
When do you require the accomodation / which nights?

I have been comparing 3 nights for my next trip; central London comes in at about £110 per night, but add a weekend and it drops to £95 per night (same company)
However just a few miles outside and this almost halves
Ironically it is next to the Olympic Park at Stratford, so will be using the Javelin service between Euston and Stratford

What you could do is stay along a route from London Victoria, slightly cheaper accomodation but with rail travel
The Javelin service doesn't go to Euston, it goes to St. Pancras.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Last time I stayed in London was at Travelodge at Deptford Bridge, about 2 mins from DLR station and about 40 from Victoria. It's a new Travelodge, had only recently opened when I was there in Feb of this year.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Particularly at weekends, the Holiday Inn Express in Croydon may be cheaper
( with discount at
www.ichotels.com/exclusive )

Definitely agree with this, I had a fantastic stay in this hotel for about £40 a couple of months ago - slept like a baby! If the price is right it's definitely worth a look.

VTPreston_Tez

Try Travelodge Tower Bridge - it's fairly new and has some good offers, you just have to be quick to snaffle them. Westbound Circle and District services operate frequently to Victoria.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Travelodges I would not recommend:

Wembley (ridiculously noisy)
Borehamwood (noise from pub, too far from station)
Farringdon/Kings Cross (ridiculously noisy)
Romford (dodgy guests, dodgy people outside (I had to throw something out the window at one of them to make them shut up), also near a bottle bank!)

Travelodges I would recommend:

Croydon Central (ask to be as high up as possible)
Caterham Whyteleafe (ask for a room not facing main road)
Liverpool St (ask to be as high up as possible)
Ealing (ask to be as high up as possible)
Waterloo (ask to be as high up as possible)
Stratford (ask to be as high up as possible, not facing main road)
Uxbridge (ask to be as high up as possible, not facing the bus garage)

In your case I'd go for Caterham (which is extremely near Whyteleafe South station) which has direct services to VIC, though half the trains go to LBG but you can change. Or, alternatively, Croydon, which is not so nice a place but it has very frequent fast trains to Victoria (and if you time it right you'll get a 442!)

IanD

Established Member
They were building a new Travelodge next to Walthamstow Central a couple of months back. Don't know if it's open yet or by the time you visit. Handy for the Victoria Line which I think goes close to Victoria.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Travelodge South Croydon is usually cheaper than many others however is rather basic in terms of furnishings. Don't be fooled by the name, it is nowhere near South Croydon station, it is on the access road for Purley Oaks station and at the junction with the main road and shops.

D6975

Established Member
Travellodges:
I second the Whyteleaf South recommendation.
I stayed there recently for 2 nights and it's in a nice area and pleasantly quiet considering it's so close to central London.
I booked well in advance and got a room for £19 a night.

I've also used East Croydon, that's OK too.
Stratford was very tidy and new, but the rooms are a bit smaller than usual, but for the £26 I paid very good value and conveniently situated.
I hate to think what room prices are going to be like there when the Olympics are on..

Whooaaa - just looked it up - £200 a night!!!

Cletus

Established Member
As with Yorkie, I have stayed at Waterloo Travelodge, I was high up and at the back, so in a good position. I'm am also booked there for August bank holiday Sunday for £29 which is incredible value for central London.

I have also stayed at the new Stratford Premier Inn above Westfield also on a Sunday for £39. That was very good.

It's worth signing up for the hotel chains email alerts.

SteveP29

Try Travelodge Tower Bridge - it's fairly new and has some good offers, you just have to be quick to snaffle them. Westbound Circle and District services operate frequently to Victoria.

I stayed at it's sister hotel just along the road (about 500 yards apart) Aldgate East.

It was like that scene in The Blues Brothers where Jake asks Elwwod at his flat how often trains go by, and he replies 'so often you won't notice it'

The hotel is about 30 yards from the line into/ out of Fenchurch Street (don't know if that helps with the original question!!)

Crossover

Established Member
Travelodge Battersea wasn't too bad when I stayed the other month. It is a good 10 minute walk from the main entrance of Clapham Junction station (the other exit was closed when I was there and would probably take a few mins off the walk time)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Travelodge Battersea wasn't too bad when I stayed the other month. It is a good 10 minute walk from the main entrance of Clapham Junction station (the other exit was closed when I was there and would probably take a few mins off the walk time)
Ah yes, forgot about that one. Good apart from when some idiot did some drilling in the car park at 0700ish. The walk is more like 20 mins than 10 I think! But yes a closer entrance may reduce that a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.