• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preparation before training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepé Le Pew

Hi,

I am starting my training in Birmingham on 7th January for the role of a trainee senior conductor for West Midlands railway. I was wondering if there were books, websites etc that I could read to prepare for the training?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bennski

That RSSB guide book thing is something I think most people would recommend, think it includes all the rules and safety regulations on the railways. Not 100% sure but it gets mentioned alot on here, would be handy to have a quick scan through.

Pepé Le Pew

That RSSB guide book thing is something I think most people would recommend, think it includes all the rules and safety regulations on the railways. Not 100% sure but it gets mentioned alot on here, would be handy to have a quick scan through.
Thank you.

CC 72100

Established Member
Do NOT read ahead - the course will teach you everything you need to know.

The rule book will become a key text during the course but without the context provided by a trainer means nothing.

The only beneficial thing I can think that you could do know would be to familiarise yourself with the railway geography (ie. Where to change for what popular destination) which may make you feel a little more confident when dealing with customer questions later on down the line.

AutoKratz

I second that - don’t read ahead. Your course will be designed so you can learn the rules and context at the right pace. I started to read the rule book early and I realised it was a mistake. Reading through is overwhelming when you haven’t got the context.

driver9000

Established Member
Read anything you like EXCEPT the rule book or any railway operating document. The course is designed to take you from day 1 to passing out as fully competent Conductor.

Chuggington21

Again echoing what other have said. Do not read the rule book. Just work/study really hard once you start.

Pepé Le Pew

Do NOT read ahead - the course will teach you everything you need to know.

The rule book will become a key text during the course but without the context provided by a trainer means nothing.

The only beneficial thing I can think that you could do know would be to familiarise yourself with the railway geography (ie. Where to change for what popular destination) which may make you feel a little more confident when dealing with customer questions later on down the line.
Thank you for the advice.

Pepé Le Pew

I second that - don’t read ahead. Your course will be designed so you can learn the rules and context at the right pace. I started to read the rule book early and I realised it was a mistake. Reading through is overwhelming when you haven’t got the context.
Thank you for your advice.

Jonfun

Established Member
Nothing wrong with reading the rule book ahead of your training, you'll have to read it at some point. Just be aware that most of what you'll need to be doing on a day to day basis actually *isn't* in the rule book - in itself it has a fair few grey areas and a lot has now come out and is down to each individual train operator to set their own rules and standards. The rule book also contains a lot of "official" terminology, whereas the operating railway uses a lot of slang. There can be many slang terms for the same "official term"; it's a bit like someone from a foreign country learning Queen's English and then having their first holiday in Glasgow. It's also not necessarily easy to understand for someone not from a railway background - you have to almost have seen it to understand it properly.

Some folk do say don't read the rule book ahead of your training and just rely on your course; being walked through it in a classroom setting worked for them and that's fine. But different people learn in different ways and if you learn better by reading up and learning hard facts then there's nothing wrong with that either. The training course will then teach you how to apply those hard facts in real life. Don't waste your time going through the rule book, not understanding it and still trying and failing to commit it to memory though, you won't learn anything like that. To properly understand and apply the rule book you have to understand the 'whys' behind it.

Niek88

Well
Nothing wrong with reading the rule book ahead of your training, you'll have to read it at some point. Just be aware that most of what you'll need to be doing on a day to day basis actually *isn't* in the rule book - in itself it has a fair few grey areas and a lot has now come out and is down to each individual train operator to set their own rules and standards. The rule book also contains a lot of "official" terminology, whereas the operating railway uses a lot of slang. There can be many slang terms for the same "official term"; it's a bit like someone from a foreign country learning Queen's English and then having their first holiday in Glasgow. It's also not necessarily easy to understand for someone not from a railway background - you have to almost have seen it to understand it properly.

Some folk do say don't read the rule book ahead of your training and just rely on your course; being walked through it in a classroom setting worked for them and that's fine. But different people learn in different ways and if you learn better by reading up and learning hard facts then there's nothing wrong with that either. The training course will then teach you how to apply those hard facts in real life. Don't waste your time going through the rule book, not understanding it and still trying and failing to commit it to memory though, you won't learn anything like that. To properly understand and apply the rule book you have to understand the 'whys' behind it.
Well said! Thanks

Pepé Le Pew

Thank you for the advice.

choochoochoo

Established Member
I was keen to prepare before my driver training too, but have to echo what others say.

If you're not from a railway background, the rule book can be very confusing. I come from a technical background and I was still very confused by it !

Perhaps as a compromise, learn about PTS. That's the first thing you'll get taught anyway.

There's a good network rail document/handbook out there with lots of nice diagrams in it.

Muttley

The Rule Book will tell you what.
Don't read it.
RED FOR DANGER will tell you why.
Read that.

Pepé Le Pew

I was keen to prepare before my driver training too, but have to echo what others say.

If you're not from a railway background, the rule book can be very confusing. I come from a technical background and I was still very confused by it !

Perhaps as a compromise, learn about PTS. That's the first thing you'll get taught anyway.

There's a good network rail document/handbook out there with lots of nice diagrams in it.
Thank you Choochoochoo for the very useful information.

TheNewBoy

Excuse my ignorance...what is PTS?

Tomnick

Established Member
The Rule Book will tell you what.
Don't read it.
RED FOR DANGER will tell you why.
Read that.
This.

It’s often said that the Rule Book is written in the blood from numerous accidents in the history of the railway, many of which are described in Red for Danger. Understanding what went wrong back them will help you understand why the rules are as they are today, and in turn it’ll all make more sense when you actually look at the rules. I’d definitely recommend it.

lammergeier

Another good read is Beyond Hidden Dangers by Stanley Hall.

But I echo the majority of the comments on here - do not read the rule book or similar before training. At best it's a waste of your time and at worst is counter productive.

There was a confused thread on here recently asking about PoSA and Subsidary signals which demonstrated succinctly why it's best not to read ahead!

Last edited:

Pilotman

Hi Pepe

i found this site useful, its normally geared up for drivers however they have rule modules which you can practice and best of all its free. https://www.uktrainingsolutions.com

Helped me loads when i was going through training as i got the link through other drivers and its a good free resource.

hope this helps

cebz9

Hi, I had recently applied for this same position. I was just wondering what the whole recruitment process was like, from sending off the application to actually getting the job

Red1980

If you're not from a railway background don't read anything especially the rulebook. Without knowing what it all means or having some understanding you may as well go and pick up a Bible that's written in Chinese.

Leave the training to those trained in putting it across to you at the correct pace etc it'll be less stressful for you as you've enough hard work coming up as it is without putting more pressure on yourself.

If you truly feel you must read something or prepare maybe do some reading up on the role and what it entails so you know what's to come should you pass out successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.