• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prescription Charges up to £7.65

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
I was listening to the news at work today when the above was announced - the item went on to mention there are no charges in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland for prescriptions.

April Fool :lol: or......

English Fools :idea:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Wasnt it £7 anyway?

And someones problem is?

Give the jocks independence and lets see how far they get with all this stuff. Alex Salmond couldnt punch his way out of a non conformist scottish wet paper bag

Butts

Veteran Member
Wasnt it £7 anyway?

And someones problem is?

Give the jocks independence and lets see how far they get with all this stuff. Alex Salmond couldnt punch his way out of a non conformist scottish wet paper bag

What about Wales and Northern Ireland - why should the English have to pay when the rest of the UK does not ?

Flamingo

Established Member
What about Wales and Northern Ireland - why should the English have to pay when the rest of the UK does not ?

Their autonomous governments decide what they will spend their money on. Take it up with your MP.

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
Because their Governments have decided that they have enough money to be able to subsidise prescriptions, or that they've decided to prioritise that over something else.
It could be worse, you could live in Ireland, where only a few get free healthcare and you have to pay for stays in hospital, GP appointments and drugs.

Butts

Veteran Member
Their autonomous governments decide what they will spend their money on. Take it up with your MP.

Well if your happy to pay fair enough - actually I believe only about 20% of Prescriptions are actually paid for :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Because their Governments have decided that they have enough money to be able to subsidise prescriptions, or that they've decided to prioritise that over something else.
It could be worse, you could live in Ireland, where only a few get free healthcare and you have to pay for stays in hospital, GP appointments and drugs.

As Ireland is such a similar country to the UK in a lot of respects I wonder why this does not cause any unrest.

It seems everyone but the UK has some sort of privatised system yet the merest mention here brings forth howls of anguish.

Anyone would think people all over Europe are keeling over if the NHS propagandists are to be believed.:p

Last edited:

blanco

Wasnt it £7 anyway?

And someones problem is?

Salmond doesn't want independence, he's just going to push it to get as much power as possible without actually becoming independent.

alexjames

Blanco has it right.

Salmond is a very experienced and knowledgeable economist. He is fully aware that the cash sums do not add up for independence. Hence his insistence on devo-max on the ballot paper. That is his preferred option and if I had the misfortune to be a Scottish registered voter, that is what I would vote for.

And in the unlikely event that the Scots do vote for independence, Salmond is equally aware that aspects of the separation negotiations with the rest of the UK are just about impossible. Do they really want to take on £100BN of UK national debt (or whatever their "fair share" is). Of course not, its unaffordable and Salmond knows that as well as any other financially literate person does. And there are many other sticking points - the vast number of Civil Service jobs in Scotland - all will have to go on independence. Add the large number of military jobs etc etc.

That is my main problem with Salmond - a waste of a potentially excellent PM of the UK. He persists with promulgating his independence plan when he knows its utterly untenable. Such a hypocrite.

zoro

On the downside of free prescriptions in the part of Wales I live in, their are no b....y hospitals. :(

Roughytuffy

I was listening to the news at work today when the above was announced - the item went on to mention there are no charges in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland for prescriptions.

April Fool :lol: or......

English Fools :idea:
How is this allowed to happen? I've always wondered? Its a bone of contention with me. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland should be forced to pay like England.

SS4

Established Member
How is this allowed to happen? I've always wondered? Its a bone of contention with me. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland should be forced to pay like England.

Healthcare is devolved along with many other things. The other countries of the UK have decided that they can afford to give free prescriptions whereas England have decided they cannot or will not.
Whether that's because England give them too much money or because they cut elsewhere is a bone of contention.

Yew

Established Member
England can't decide anything, as there is no English Parliment, hence the British Government says one thing, then the scots and welsh devolved governments say they will cover the cost to their people. And England gets screwed over. Repeat for Tuition fees, Prescriptions, and anything else that needs to be raised to 'Cut the deflict' But us english dont notice, as since we are 80% of the population, it stands that 80% of the laws will be perfect for us, and the rest wont be too far away.

In short, and English Assembly would be useful, but most of us dont realise it.

blanco

it would be more productive if your argument was that the english should have the same as the others rather than resenting the fact that the english tory government don't see fit to afford you the same benefits that the others have decided is acheivable.

Butts

Veteran Member
England can't decide anything, as there is no English Parliment, hence the British Government says one thing, then the scots and welsh devolved governments say they will cover the cost to their people. And England gets screwed over. Repeat for Tuition fees, Prescriptions, and anything else that needs to be raised to 'Cut the deflict' But us english dont notice, as since we are 80% of the population, it stands that 80% of the laws will be perfect for us, and the rest wont be too far away.

In short, and English Assembly would be useful, but most of us dont realise it.

If England can't decide anything how do you think they put prescription charges up or increase tuition fees ?. They have a choice to vote on measures that apply to England only - albeit that MP's from the other parts of the UK can also vote. As the number of English MP's is far greater they could easily outvote the others. They choose not to replicate the policies being pursued in other parts of the UK. As most of these measures would be electorally popular it is quite suprising.

Did I mention Free Eye Tests and no hospital parking charges up here :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.