• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preservation Locos-Should at least 1 be Preserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNERman

Established Member
Do you think that at least one of every class of locomotive should be preserved?
I am writing about this as many solo preservation attempts are happening. The class 15 and 28 are at Bury on the East Lancs Railway and are currently being restored and the 17 is at the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway but these locos were lucky to survive. Look at the 16's, 21,22,23,29 etc. And what of multiple units? A 306 was preserved but it was attacked by vandals and now scrapped.
Just for a bit of debating-No wars of arguing<D, please.:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CraigS

Established Member
A 306 was preserved but it was attacked by vandals and now scrapped.

The sole surviving 306 hasn't been scrapped, has it? I thought it was moved to a secure storage sight (Kineton?) a year or two ago when it left Ilford depot.

There was a 304 unit that was purchased during the 1990s. It got heavily vandalised and later got scrapped because the cost of repairing the damage was too much. AFAIK, no vehicle from a 304 survives. Perhaps that's the unit you refer has being attacked by vandals and now scrapped?

mbonwick

Established Member
I think at least one member of every class should be preserved. This then gives us a complete picture of our railway heritage.

Of course, it's too late to do anything about it now.

EE Type 3

Established Member
The thing is, if we go preserving everything, where will we put it all? Most railways are running out of room.

mbonwick

Established Member
That is fair point. But then if you consider how many railways have like 4 of the same....they could get rid of them.

Phoenix

Established Member
Personally I think that yes one of every loco should be preserved but I am not sure about units as we seem to churn them out too much nowadays.
But I honestly think I preserved loco storage centre should be set up with very cheap storage costs but that's just a wish.

EE Type 3

Established Member
Personally I think that yes one of every loco should be preserved but I am not sure about units as we seem to churn them out too much nowadays.
But I honestly think I preserved loco storage centre should be set up with very cheap storage costs but that's just a wish.

2nd Generation units will be preserved. I'd imagine a 91, a HST, and a 390 will be preserved too.

Established Member
My opinion is that at least one of each loco should be preserved, and at least some MUs.

There's the only remianing 303 left at the Bo'ness and Kinneil railway, made up of a mixed set, the driving vehicles from set 303032 and the motor coach from 303023, which i really want to go and see, because i love the blue trains but have never seen one.

Phoenix

Established Member
My opinion is that at least one of each loco should be preserved, and at least some MUs.

There's the only remianing 303 left at the Bo'ness and Kinneil railway, made up of a mixed set, the driving vehicles from set 303032 and the motor coach from 303023, which i really want to go and see, because i love the blue trains but have never seen one.

Yeah I would like to aswell Im glad to see for once an AC EMU has been saved.

1K73

The issue with preserving EMUs is simple - what do you do with them? You can't simply string up some knitting and away you go - the chances of a preserved AC line are slim at best - and few can be used as fully functioning hauled stock. Not many museums will accept a EMU as, due to the fact they're sets of 3 or 4 cars, they're harder to display than your average kettle. Is there a point in saving something for future generations if theres nowhere for it to go, and nothing for it to do?

Dave

GNERman

Established Member
but then again doesn't the Bluebell Railway or the Kent and East Sussex Railway have a EMU which runs by a generator car?

1K73

There's a 'Nelson' Driving Motor at Horsted Keynes but not sure about the Genny Coach - I believe it's on static display?

The only operational EMUs afaik are various 419s scattered around the country - however these are running on Battery power.

Phoenix

Established Member
The issue with preserving EMUs is simple - what do you do with them? You can't simply string up some knitting and away you go - the chances of a preserved AC line are slim at best - and few can be used as fully functioning hauled stock. Not many museums will accept a EMU as, due to the fact they're sets of 3 or 4 cars, they're harder to display than your average kettle. Is there a point in saving something for future generations if theres nowhere for it to go, and nothing for it to do?

Dave

It does seem very unlikely indeed but we have a preserved examples of each wothwile AC loco class so far and they won't be going anywhere anytime soon so us AC fans can wait till a solution is found which it will.
preservation has a funny way off defing the odds every once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.