• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved Diesels during the ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the turn of the 80's to the 90's, I was heading through the car park at Northampton castle station when I heard an unfamiliar diesel engine. It was the day before the Bescot open day of that year. We headed over to the noise, to see a 31 coupled up to 55016. They could have been waiting for a path, or laying over for the night. The thing was that the 31 was ticking over, but the deltic was really 'giving it the beans'. Now, I know they're both blue star loco's, but although it was only 50 yards or so in a goods yard, I am still convinced that I saw a preserved diesel move under its own power on BR metals. Does anyone know anything about this, or any other movements of preserved diesels on BR metals?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
I've seen a picture of a Deltic (I can't remember which one) in tow behind a 37 en route to an open day somewhere, and from the amount of clag the Deltic looked to be doing rather more than idling..

NIMBUS

I've seen a picture of a Deltic (I can't remember which one) in tow behind a 37 en route to an open day somewhere, and from the amount of clag the Deltic looked to be doing rather more than idling..

It's well known that D9000 was used to propel a failed class 37 (and train) on the ECML - the footage is even available on one of the commercial videos that's available. It also ran from Perth yard back to Perth station after an open day there, before pre-heating the sleepers for that night's train.

I can claim over 25 miles of haulage from a 'Warship' on the main line during the diesel ban - but I'm not saying where or when, to protect those involved.

WL113

Deltics were not fitted with multiple working equipment. 55002 did run light from Doncaster Works to the NRM after the Deltic farewell open day on 27 February 1982. It was also on display in York Station at some point. I seem to remember seeing a photo of it with engines running and legendary Driver Harry Wilson in the seat, I can't remember when this was though.

12CSVT

Established Member
I think I once saw a picture of 31018 (D5500) travelling light engine from Thornaby to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway after it was officially withdrawn.

ACE1888

Remember the 'whoha' at the time there was NO WAY diesels were going to be allowed on the mainline ever...Wasn't Class 46 'Ixion' the first official diesel to break the ban??? And whats happening to her now??

Schnellzug

Established Member
Remember the 'whoha' at the time there was NO WAY diesels were going to be allowed on the mainline ever...Wasn't Class 46 'Ixion' the first official diesel to break the ban??? And whats happening to her now??

i was never sure why they chose that. I suppose because it was owned by Pete Waterman, who was like the Don then.

20Man

Wasn't 20227 the first preserved diesel to work a railtour, The Metro Gnome, on 7th May 1994, which it worked with Sarah Siddons over various parts of the Metropolitan line, including out to Amersham.

12CSVT

Established Member
Although not a preserved loco, after 08678 (withdrawn from Tinsley in September 1988) was sold to industry in 1989, it spent several days covering BR class 08 diagrams in the Carlisle area whilst in the new blue / black livery of its new owners Glaxochem.

The photo shows it in Glaxo livery at Carlisle with a tank train on 5th May 1989, eight month after its withdrawal by British Rail

Attachments

• 08678 at Carlisle 5th May 1989.jpg
    08678 at Carlisle 5th May 1989.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 52

dubscottie

What about the Class 20's (20/9) owned by Hunslet-Barclay? They were the first Ex-BR loco's to be allowed to run on the main line and did so for years.

I have heard a story about a Deltic hauling a working to an open day in the southeast (may have been Hastings).. To save the Class 33/73 running round the formation en-route the Deltic hauled the lot for the rest of the journey.

theblackwatch

Established Member
It seemed British Rail were quite happy to allow 'privately owned' fleets such as the HB Class 20/9s and FY Class 59s to operate on the main line but not one off 'preserved' locos. Back in the 1980s there was much more of a distinction between the two types. The new Indistrial Railway Society book 16EL has a photo of one of the Rowntree Mackintosh industrial shunters going light engine through York station in 1979.

I do have photos of at least two preserved locos running through stations before any were certified but it's probably best I don't say what they were or when!

Status
Not open for further replies.