• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved Pacers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cav1975

Isn't 143603 damaged now though due to wave interaction
I hope that the new owners check it carefully for corrosion before accepting it and consider an alternative set if it is too far gone. Sea water is amazingly destructive as we have found on the Isle of Wight where we have had to replace large underframe sections on vehicles that used to run onto Ryde Pier.

On Moderation
I hope that the new owners check it carefully for corrosion before accepting it and consider an alternative set if it is too far gone. Sea water is amazingly destructive as we have found on the Isle of Wight where we have had to replace large underframe sections on vehicles that used to run onto Ryde Pier.
I’m amazed they have gone for a GWR set at all considering the time they’ve spent on the “Devon metro” and consequent time on the sea wall.

mpthomson

It'll be fine with a thorough wash down.

A0wen

On Moderation
Currently i know:
LEV1- Wensleydale Railway (non operational?)
LEV2- Connecticut Trolley Museum, USA (non operational?)
LEV3- Downpatrick & County Down Railway, Ireland (Static exhibit)
RB002- Riverstown Old Corn Railway, Ireland (non operational?)
RB004- Waverley Route Heritage Centre
140001- Keith and dufftown Railway (non operational?)
141108- Colne valley railway
141113- Llangollen railway (long term lease to The Midland railway)
142001- National railway museum, Shildon (Driver training)
142003- Owner withheld at present (awaiting transportation, at Gascoigne Wood)
142017 East Kent Railway (awaiting transportation, at worksop)
142019 Waverley Route Heritage Association (awaiting transportation, at worksop)
142020 Waverley Route Heritage Association (awaiting transportation, at worksop)
142027 Chasewater Railway (awaiting transportation, at worksop)
142029- Chasewater railway (Driver Training)
142030- Chasewater railway (Driver Training)
142033 South Wales Police (for police training)
142084 Rushden Historical Transport Society (awaiting transportation, at worksop)
142091 Rushden Historical Transport Society (awaiting transportation, at worksop)
143603- Swindon and Crickdale railway (In service with GWR)
144003- Great Central railway, Nottingham (In service with Northern)

Does anybody know anymore?

There's some debate whether RB002 even still exists - there's no photographic evidence of it in recent years and the site where the railway was doesn't seem to throw up any clues from Google earth - so there's a real question on that one.

Wasn't there some debate about LEV2's future not so long ago as well?

fgwrich

Established Member
I'm not surprised to see LEV 3 now listed as a static exhibit, I had it around 10 years ago on a short run on the Triangle where it almost adimentqly refused to reverse. Some of the internal metalwork wasn't in the best of condition either with one of the internal glass screens working its way to freedom. Thank god for the Walter Alexander version of the Pacer, a much more refined design!

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
There's some debate whether RB002 even still exists - there's no photographic evidence of it in recent years and the site where the railway was doesn't seem to throw up any clues from Google earth - so there's a real question on that one.

Wasn't there some debate about LEV2's future not so long ago as well?

RB002 is seen in one of these photos, looking sorry for itself. https://www.inspirock.com/ireland/r...nster/carlingford-brewing-company-a9458842249

The site is now 'Carlingford Brewing Company', so presumably have nothing to do with railways any more. It appears to be dumped with a brakevan and wagon.

Reasonably clear on Bing aerial imagery at: https://binged.it/3axBRdJ

Less easy to spot on Google aerial imagery: https://goo.gl/maps/qv6Z3DeAAhZ7GU6C8

D365

Veteran Member
The Class 142s are proving popular aren't they!

thejuggler

144011 is bound for the Keighley and Worth Valley. One draw of their other heritage DMUs is the forward views.

Is there an option to put viewing panels in the cab bulkhead on Pacers to maintain this aspect?

alexl92

Established Member
To add to the original list, Wensleydale have just acquired 142028 and 142060.

alexl92

Established Member
144011 is bound for the Keighley and Worth Valley. One draw of their other heritage DMUs is the forward views.

Is there an option to put viewing panels in the cab bulkhead on Pacers to maintain this aspect?
I've asked similar before; I don't know for sure about pacers but apparently on many BR 2nd Gen units there's wiring and similar on the bulkhead panel that would make it a challenge.

LowLevel

Established Member
I've asked similar before; I don't know for sure about pacers but apparently on many BR 2nd Gen units there's wiring and similar on the bulkhead panel that would make it a challenge.

Correct, in a word it isn't possible.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I spoke last weekend to an acquaintance who bought a Pacer on behalf of the Chasewater Railway, and he had some interesting snippets. The leasing company provided a list of 142s available for preservation, and this resulted in an invitation to inspect them. One on the list was 142003 but, when they visited the site (Gascoigne Wood, I think) -003 was not there. My friend said he was told that it had been sent to Barry (for storage) by mistake - although this does seem odd. However, it might explain why 003 appears on the Pacer disposals thread as having an uncertain status. The reason for buying 029 and 030 was because of their original - ish interiors. 029 will be repainted into Provincial/Regional Railways livery (I'm not sure which). He also said that the line's fitters found them very easy to understand, and they came fully equipped for service. Now ready for passenger service.
He also mentioned that there an interest was being taken in Pacers by metre-gauge lines - presumably in mainland Europe.

IamTrainsYT

I spoke last weekend to an acquaintance who bought a Pacer on behalf of the Chasewater Railway, and he had some interesting snippets. The leasing company provided a list of 142s available for preservation, and this resulted in an invitation to inspect them. One on the list was 142003 but, when they visited the site (Gascoigne Wood, I think) -003 was not there. My friend said he was told that it had been sent to Barry (for storage) by mistake - although this does seem odd. However, it might explain why 003 appears on the Pacer disposals thread as having an uncertain status. The reason for buying 029 and 030 was because of their original - ish interiors. 029 will be repainted into Provincial/Regional Railways livery (I'm not sure which). He also said that the line's fitters found them very easy to understand, and they came fully equipped for service. Now ready for passenger service.
He also mentioned that there an interest was being taken in Pacers by metre-gauge lines - presumably in mainland Europe.
003 Was mentioned along with chasewaters 2 by angel, being told the owner was withheld. It ended up in warm storage at barrow and was not off lease until it arrived at gascoigne woo

YorkshireBear

Established Member

I don't think it will replace their standard first gen DMUs for that purpose and will compliment them.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Correct, in a word it isn't possible.
The cab doors have glass panels in which initially had blinds from new before being stickered over. More may have been done since then to make it more difficult (both in terms of rules and cost) but impossible is probably an overstatement.

Yorkshire222

Any idea what the cost of a Pacer is? With quite a number going to heritage railways they must be fairly cheap. As scrap they don't look like they have a lot of useful metal to them so they may be getting more from selling them (though I am no expert so I could be wrong).

IamTrainsYT

Any idea what the cost of a Pacer is? With quite a number going to heritage railways they must be fairly cheap. As scrap they don't look like they have a lot of useful metal to them so they may be getting more from selling them (though I am no expert so I could be wrong).
Can be anything from £1 to £10000 with transportation being around £4000

E50019

buying it will be the cheapest bit, long term use; mechanical overhauls, repaints, consumables (oils, coolant, batteries, relays) , moquette and trimming, spare part accumulation all add up.

From experience I purchased a non powered 1st gen DMU vehicle, transported it, and restored it, the restoration (materials only) was significantly more that the purchase and transport costs, and it will need a repaint in a couple of years..

Just about to repeat the process on a powered vehicle, again restoration materials costs will exceed the purchase and transport costs, significantly more so due to the additional mechanical items needing attention.

IamTrainsYT

Angel trains are going to make an announcement tomorrow as to who owns what. We may even find out what country the rest of the ex northern ones are going to!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Angel trains are going to make an announcement tomorrow as to who owns what. We may even find out what country the rest of the ex northern ones are going to!
Kenya has bought a fleet of DMU's from Mallorca for their Nairobi commuter routes. Has anyone tipped of UK ROSCO's?

KENYA: The much-delayed contract for Kenya Railways to purchase 11 second-hand DMUs from Serveis Ferroviaris de Mallorca to operate commuter services around Nairobi was formally signed by KR Managing Director Phillip Mainga during a visit to the Balearic island on March 2.

SFM’s metre-gauge Class 61 DMUs built by CAF in 1995-2003 were put up for sale as surplus to requirements following the completion of 1·5 kV DC electrification from Enllaç to Sa Pobla in January 2019. Several have already been sold to companies in France and Portugal.

Following a technical assessment of their condition and ‘operational suitability’, Kenya’s Ministry of Transport agreed to buy 11 two-car units and five spare vehicles under a KSh1·15bn deal including spare parts. KR pointed out that this would be around 10% of the cost of new stock, adding that the CAF units could be expected to operate for a further 20 to 25 years. At that stage it was envisaged that the DMUs would be delivered by mid-2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.