• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved railway altitudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploughman

Established Member
Can anyone supply detail of which operating Standard gauge preserved lines in the UK have the lowest point and which have the highest point.

eg. NYMR summit at 532ft (approx 162m) does any railway exceed this?
I would suggest that the Torbay Steam railway would possibly have the lowest point either at Kingswear or Paignton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Can anyone supply detail of which operating Standard gauge preserved lines in the UK have the lowest point and which have the highest point.

I would suggest that the Torbay Steam railway would possibly have the lowest point either at Kingswear or Paignton.

kingswear is pretty much sea level, id say the north norfolk was low, west somerset? boness? ravenglass runs down to near the coast too as far as i am aware. Nene valley? peterbough is very low.

mind the gap

I see your NYMR and raise you with the Mid Hants Railway at Medstead and Four Marks railway station at 644ft asl ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
& for the lowest - Volk's Electric Railway?

steamybrian

Established Member
The highest - Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway which is 1,400 feet asl.
Lowest- Can I eliminate Volk Electric Railway is narrow gauge otherwise I would include Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway which is BELOW high water level at its lowest point.

Last edited:

The Decapod

There is a group with the ambition of re-opening the line between March and Wisbech in Cambridgeshire (the Bramley Line). If they are successful, that would probably have the lowest point on any heritage railway as much of the land around that area is a several feet below sea level.

Jedipickles

It's not standard gauge but surely the highest peaking railway has to be the Snowdon Mountain railway at 3493 ft (1065 m)...

Pen Mill

Boat of Garten on the Strathspey railway is at 720 feet , highest standard gauge ?

Maybe not ... missed the Pontypool !

scotsman

Established Member
Boat of Garten on the Strathspey railway is at 720 feet , highest standard gauge ?

Maybe not ... missed the Pontypool !

I'm amazed that there's not a railway higher than this, and if I actually learnt the route, I'd tell you where the highest point is...but I can't remember

LE Greys

Established Member
The North Norfolk is up on cliffs in Sheringham and climbs all the way from there to Holt. I'd say the lowest is the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch at about 10ft min, while if the Bramley Line idea ever gets going, that will be the lowest standard gauge.

paul1609

Established Member

The Kent and East Sussex Railway is mostly built over the Rother levels which along with Romney Marsh are land reclaimed from the sea.
There are 2 places where the railway is only 1 metre above sea level and there are significant stretches that are 2 to 3 metres above sea level.

Status
Not open for further replies.