• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved railways and gas lighting usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Does one of the Stations of the Kent & East Sussex also have gas lights? I think the little one on the KWVR and Levisham on the NYMR may have some gas lights too?

John Webb

Established Member
I recall both Damems Halt ("the little one") and Oakworth on the K&WVR have gas lighting.

At the preserved St Albans South box we have three former Midland Railway gas lamps, but these have been converted to electrical operation as we have no gas supply on site.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Also is there any rolling stock lit by gas, in use?

I don't know for sure, but I very much doubt it - gas carriage lighting was condemned as a safety hazard over a century ago by the Railway Inspectorate. Escaping gas from storage cylinders under the wooden bodied carriages was a major contributor to the fire that raged in the 1915 Quintinshill disaster following the initial collisions - our worst ever railway accident.

AndrewE

Established Member
I think the GWSR has some refurbished or replica lamps lit by LEDs which mimic gas lamps. Seems a good idea in the light of the comment above!

Journeyman

Established Member
I think even tungsten lighting is going to get pretty rare in preservation before long. I've seen quite a few LEDs on heritage railways recently, both on trains and stations.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I don't know for sure, but I very much doubt it - gas carriage lighting was condemned as a safety hazard over a century ago by the Railway Inspectorate. Escaping gas from storage cylinders under the wooden bodied carriages was a major contributor to the fire that raged in the 1915 Quintinshill disaster following the initial collisions - our worst ever railway accident.
I thought that might be the case.

It's understandable even if I'd like to travel in a gas lit train once in my life.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Sugg Lighting, the company who manufactured these gas lanterns (who sold them as heritage lighting) sadly closed a year or too back.

Getting spare mantles for them will be a ball ache unless the local council has some old ones going spare and even then there's no guarrentee since most lighting are done by contractors who simply throw and smash up something that a heritage railway could use.

I'm sure Ropley on the Mid Hants uses gas lighting.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There are still some gas lamps in central London.

Whilst taking safety into account, we should preserve some of our heritage like this.

I've been to Sheffield Park numerous times over the years but not at night. I must do that some day.

I once stayed in a hostel in Wales lit by gas.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I think the WSR has restored (a few years ago) , an ex GWR Fishguard sleeping car - with operable gas lighting. Not sure if they can carry passengers on it in service with the gas on.

If you want to see "proper" gas lighting - get down to the Temple area in London - where the legal "ghetto" is still almost 100% gas lit , and very atmospheric it is too on a Winter's evening - that or Nottingham (The Park) and further away Berlin ..(if you can get there now !)

duffield

Established Member
I think the WSR has restored (a few years ago) , an ex GWR Fishguard sleeping car - with operable gas lighting. Not sure if they can carry passengers on it in service with the gas on.

If you want to see "proper" gas lighting - get down to the Temple area in London - where the legal "ghetto" is still almost 100% gas lit , and very atmospheric it is too on a Winter's evening - that or Nottingham (The Park) and further away Berlin ..(if you can get there now !)

<Looks Up and left> In my (also Nottingham) living room I can still see, just above the fireplace, the two bulges in the wall (of my 1912ish house) where the gas mantles were. I wish they'd been left there as period features even if converted to electric.

Anyhow, drifting offtopic *again*, sorry mods.

paul1609

Established Member
Sugg Lighting, the company who manufactured these gas lanterns (who sold them as heritage lighting) sadly closed a year or too back.

Getting spare mantles for them will be a ball ache unless the local council has some old ones going spare and even then there's no guarrentee since most lighting are done by contractors who simply throw and smash up something that a heritage railway could use.

I think that William Sugg was actually saved after going in to administration a couple of years ago. Some of the staff set up a new company Westminster Heritage Lighting until the William Sugg & Co Ltd brand could be used.

AndrewE

Established Member
Camping gas and Tilley mantles are readily available, are they suitable?
In principle: probably. Actually: you need to check that you are looking at the exact size needed for your lamp, plus the fixing method. I have some that come "flatpack," another (Aladdin) which has to be in a metal frame. I guess I could tie in one of another brand into a frame (if I could find one the right size.)
They all have to be arranged exactly in place and then set fire to, after which they are incredibly fragile.

kje7812

In principle: probably. Actually: you need to check that you are looking at the exact size needed for your lamp, plus the fixing method. I have some that come "flatpack," another (Aladdin) which has to be in a metal frame. I guess I could tie in one of another brand into a frame (if I could find one the right size.)
They all have to be arranged exactly in place and then set fire to, after which they are incredibly fragile.
My impression from discussions about gas mantles at Kidderminster is that they are different sizes and, in some ways, shape as well. They shrink once first used so what looks alright often isn't.
And yes, very fragile once used. Just what you need for an open and exposed platform which is often much wetter and windier than the other stations on the SVR :rolleyes:

Spagnoletti

There are a number of companies offering convincing-looking pretend gas lamp fittings based on LEDs. I would have thought they would be a more sensible long term investment, and generally indistinuishable from the real thing.

AndyY1951

There are a number of companies offering convincing-looking pretend gas lamp fittings based on LEDs. I would have thought they would be a more sensible long term investment, and generally indistinuishable from the real thing.
But is that preservation? It sounds like another step on the way to a theme park to me. (Yes, I'm fully aware of all the arguments about cost and finding people to do the work etc...……….)

AndrewE

Established Member
But is that preservation? It sounds like another step on the way to a theme park to me. (Yes, I'm fully aware of all the arguments about cost and finding people to do the work etc...……….)
That's a bit extreme: thinking of the Knotty coaches being restored, I would rather go on a preserved coach which has been rebuilt onto a steel underframe than one on a wooden underframe (if such are still allowed to run carrying passengers at all!)
Re lighting, a good imitation of what was always a very difficult technology to manage seems like having the best of both worlds to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.