• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved Railways reopening with Diesel traction

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Is it just me or is every single preserved railway that has reopened only operating with Steam traction?

I get thats the obvious option if you're looking at the mass market but surely there is some market to be had with enthusiasts?

Be good to hear from anyone of any diesel operation they know of!

Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ecclesbourne Valley is currently operating with diesels. Severn Valley are planning to have diesel on Fridays in September.

ajs

Swanage Railway is running services hauled by a Class 33.Was watching it on webcam today.

paul1609

Established Member
Is it just me or is every single preserved railway that has reopened only operating with Steam traction?

I get thats the obvious option if you're looking at the mass market but surely there is some market to be had with enthusiasts?

Be good to hear from anyone of any diesel operation they know of!

Many thanks!
Sorry to break the news but the enthusiast market is niche, the diesel enthusiast is niche of niche. The railways need to maximise income if they are to survive.

UP13

I think the Mid Hants have had some Class 50 services but only when they've been forced to.

superjohn

The North Norfolk Railway is having a class 37 running day on Friday 28/8 with very reasonable fares (£15 for single occupancy of a compartment all day). I read elsewhere that it is actually sold out and another day is planned.

I can understand some railways being cautious though. The diesel crowd can be fickle and their behaviour onboard can leave a lot to be desired. Neither is ideal in the present circumstances.

ajs

I think the Mid Hants have had some Class 50 services but only when they've been forced to.

The August 2020 timetable for Mid Hants suggests they are operating steam trains. September timetable does not appear to be published yet.

UP13

The August 2020 timetable for Mid Hants suggests they are operating steam trains. September timetable does not appear to be published yet.

It is a steam timetable. What I meant was there have been one or two times they've had to bring a diesel out for whatever reason.

Peter C

Established Member
The GWSR will be running diesels on Sundays in September, including newly-returned to running order D6948.

From https://twitter.com/GWSRDiesels/status/1295754879051476992?s=19
https://twitter.com/GWSRDiesels/status/1295754879051476992?s=19 said:
Locos proposed for the diesel running on Sundays in September.
13th CL.37 D6948
20th CL.24 24081
27th CL.47 47376

Check the @GWSR website in the coming days for the timetable and ticket info.

-Peter

leezer3

The North Norfolk Railway is having a class 37 running day on Friday 28/8 with very reasonable fares (£15 for single occupancy of a compartment all day). I read elsewhere that it is actually sold out and another day is planned.

I can understand some railways being cautious though. The diesel crowd can be fickle and their behaviour onboard can leave a lot to be desired. Neither is ideal in the present circumstances.

This is the usual summer Friday diesel running resuming.
I'd expect another to be announced very soon :)

As I understand it, it's never been about just diesel running, but also allows retention etc. for when the diesels are actually needed.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The GCR have had different diesel and steam locomotives on display each weekend in Quorn Yard, available for cab visits. I believe they move there on Sat am and return to Lbro Sun pm.

341o2

Established Member
Swanage Railway is running services hauled by a Class 33.Was watching it on webcam today.
The August timetable is showing a 2 train service - one steam, one diesel, then September a one train, steam operated service

The Ham

Established Member

Was there last week with my family, middle child was very happy to see a mixture of trains both diesel and steam.

The steam services did appear to be slightly busier but there wasn't much in it.

I think that a lot of people are just happy that there's a service for them to enjoy.

If it keeps the running costs down a bit then all the better.

On Moderation

Diesels are significantly cheaper to operate, however.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm surprised they're not mostly using diesel because unless the driver shovels his own coal it's impossible to distance in a steam locomotive cab, whereas a diesel requires only one member of staff in the cab.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I think the Keith & Dufftown Railway in Scotland is only Diesel and some services are Diesel on the Weardale, Wensleydale and Dartmoor Railways, when things are normal and running etc.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm surprised they're not mostly using diesel because unless the driver shovels his own coal it's impossible to distance in a steam locomotive cab, whereas a diesel requires only one member of staff in the cab.

Probably because the crew are treated as a "bubble" or something.

Benno

Sorry to break the news but the enthusiast market is niche, the diesel enthusiast is niche of niche. The railways need to maximise income if they are to survive.

I keep hearing how the majority of Heritage railways consider the enthusiast as unimportant, and it's the normals that keep the railways funded. It doesn't seem to stop them posting on social media or railway based forums every time they need an injection of cash to keep them going. I lost count of how many campaigns were launched during Covid.

The Ham

Established Member
I keep hearing how the majority of Heritage railways consider the enthusiast as unimportant, and it's the normals that keep the railways funded. It doesn't seem to stop them posting on social media or railway based forums every time they need an injection of cash to keep them going. I lost count of how many campaigns were launched during Covid.

Enthusiasts are more likely to give money to keep the services running, the general population are likely to turn up in enough numbers to make it worth running the services.

However you do have to bear in mind that the general population is where you get some of your next generation of enthusiasts as they fall in love with trains.

before anyone suggests otherwise I'm not saying that enthusiasts are incapable of developing relationships and so pass on their love to their children or any other intimation some may feel due to some stereotyping which is portrayed by some.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

I can imagine many 'normals' may be attached to their local line and might be inclined to donate.

Shenandoah

The Dartmouth Steam Railway is operating with two steam locomotives, diesel as a last resort as far as I see. Then there is the steam powered paddle steamer Kingswear Castle which is in service.

MarkyT

Established Member
The Dartmouth Steam Railway is operating with two steam locomotives, diesel as a last resort as far as I see. Then there is the steam powered paddle steamer Kingswear Castle which is in service.
The BR(W) Manor and BR Standard 4 were out on Monday hauling the peak two train service. Trains were nearly full in the dominant direction (AM - out from paignton, PM - return from Kingswear). The newly arrived USATC S160 was parked outside the shed at Churston, dead but fully coaled, and the recently returned GWR 2-8-0 was at Paignton. Four viable steam runners must be a record for this line in recent years!

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Kwvr are advertising diesel days in September.
There was a feature on the KWVR on Look North this evening. Promoting the fact that each group of passengers have their own compo.

There seemed to be a decent number of passengers, and those interviewed were happy with the experience.

41241 was operating the train.

Veteran Member
There was a feature on the KWVR on Look North this evening. Promoting the fact that each group of passengers have their own compo.

There seemed to be a decent number of passengers, and those interviewed were happy with the experience.

41241 was operating the train.
The trains were fully booked AIUI and bookings look very healthy for the rest of the month (admittedly with only 4 operating days a week).

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I went on the Avon Valley and Midsomer Norton Lines a few days ago, they were well patronised and were diesel hauled. I also went on the Perrigrove and Dean Forest Railways which again were busy and both steam hauled. They were all very good, but I think I liked the Dean Forest and Midsomer lines the best, the latter are very hopeful of extending both ways and the star of the show on the Dean Forest was the young lad who was directing things / us.

The service to be operated by the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway on various dates between now and October is shown as 'Steam and Diesel': https://www.chinnorrailway.co.uk/article.php/193/timetables. I phoned them to check what exactly this meant; apparently all trains are top-and-tailed with a steam locomotive on the Chinnor end and a diesel on the Princes Risborough end (at least I think it's that way round).

Status
Not open for further replies.