• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved stock in PTE livery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
I was recently in discussion with a Keighley and Worth Valley volunteer about the prospects of one of their 14X being painted into WYPTE livery, and it got me pondering whether there is currently anything preserved in WYPTE livery; a 141 perhaps?

This then got me thinking if there were any other examples of PTE stock in preservation? Could the boom of 14X stock cause a vast increase in PTE liveried stock on preserved lines?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mack91

I was recently in discussion with a Keighley and Worth Valley volunteer about the prospects of one of their 14X being painted into WYPTE livery, and it got me pondering whether there is currently anything preserved in WYPTE livery; a 141 perhaps?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm sure theres a 308 trailer preserved somewhere in WYPTE livery.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I saw on Facebook a few weeks ago that 142020 is currently being painted into Tyne & Wear PTE livery at the Waverley Route Heritage Association at Whitrope.

Iskra

Established Member
I saw on Facebook a few weeks ago that 142020 is currently being painted into Tyne & Wear PTE livery at the Waverley Route Heritage Association at Whitrope.
Ah, that’s interesting!

Sort of meeting the criteria, though sadly never fully carried a passenger in preservation is Class 107 52029 (DMCL) at Toddington, which still carries faded SPT Orange and Black.

That’s a good, and obscure example, just about clinging onto its livery :D

On Moderation
Doesn't the Class 303 at Bo'ness still retain its Strathclyde PTE colours?

Mat17

I was recently in discussion with a Keighley and Worth Valley volunteer about the prospects of one of their 14X being painted into WYPTE livery...
Wasn't set 11 one of the rarer Regional Railways liveried 144s? That's not to say it didn't start out life in WYPTE.

Were any of the 144s in Provincial? The 143s looked well smart in their first livery.

Iskra

Established Member
Correct! Another good shout :)

Wasn't set 11 one of the rarer Regional Railways liveried 144s? That's not to say it didn't start out life in WYPTE.

Were any of the 144s in Provincial? The 143s looked well smart in their first livery.
I don’t know, but they did look nice in Regional Railways livery too!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

No 144s carried Provincial blue. All were delivered in the first variant (broad cream stripe) of WYPTE red. They were later given the revised version with RR branding and a narrower cream stripe, including the two or three sets that had a spell in RR.

Neptune

Established Member
No 144s carried Provincial blue. All were delivered in the first variant (broad cream stripe) of WYPTE red. They were later given the revised version with RR branding and a narrower cream stripe, including the two or three sets that had a spell in RR.
144011-013 never received the RR narrow stripe WYPTE livery. They went from original wide stripe WYPTE to RR blue to ATN metro red/silver to Northern. 012 went on to receive the 144e livery.

I'm sure theres a 308 trailer preserved somewhere in WYPTE livery.
The BDTCOL from 308136 was preserved in its final RR WYPTE livery. Not seen anything about it for years.

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Yes indeed. The driving trailers still retain the SPTE Orange/Black livery (or Red/Black as it's sometimes referred to), while the motor coach has the later SPT Carmine/Cream colours. The motor coach from the Orange/Black set (303032) was, as the story goes at least, damaged at Immingham, with the motor coach from one of the 4 sets to receive Carmine/Cream livery (specifically, 303023) being substituted as a result.

fgwrich

Established Member
Sort of meeting the criteria, though sadly never fully carried a passenger in preservation is Class 107 52029 (DMCL) at Toddington, which still carries faded SPT Orange and Black.

Ah, that’s interesting!

That’s a good, and obscure example, just about clinging onto its livery :D
A small update to this - in a somewhat ironic twist of fate, it will be returning to one of it's potential old haunts, as it's just been bought by the Fife Heritage Railway at Leven.

JRT

There used to be a regular service from Bishop Auckland, 141 103 in WYPTE livery. Don't think it was preserved as such, I just think they hadn't gotten round to repainting it.
Later repainted into a Weardale Railway livery, ceased running in 2012.

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
A small update to this - in a somewhat ironic twist of fate, it will be returning to one of it's potential old haunts, as it's just been bought by the Fife Heritage Railway at Leven.
OT, but I instinctively was about to say that Fife was well off the beaten path in Scotland for the SPTE Orange/Black livery, I then remembered that units in that livery (and the later Carmine/Cream) escaped Greater Glasgow/Strathclyde fairly often, as this Martin Loader photo of 156508 at Plean (dated April 1998) on a Queen St - Perth service shows.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
OT, but I instinctively was about to say that Fife was well off the beaten path in Scotland for the SPTE Orange/Black livery, I then remembered that units in that livery (and the later Carmine/Cream) escaped Greater Glasgow/Strathclyde fairly often, as this Martin Loader photo of 156508 at Plean (dated April 1998) on a Queen St - Perth service shows.

Not uncommon to find Carmine/Orange units straying onto the WHL too.

I also saw an image somewhere of an SPT Orange unit working a service to Whitehaven. Weird to think how units can get around sometimes.

Mat17

I recall Tyne and Wear liveried Pacers around Yorkshire... Not to mention those ghastly Merseyrail 142s seemingly anywhere but Liverpool.

fgwrich

Established Member

For some reason, it wasn’t that off the beaten path for the 107s though - whether they received maintenance at Haymarket and used them in a common pool with the 117s I don’t know, but they certainly had a few runs around the fife circle and into Edinburgh at least:

Ianigsy

I also saw an image somewhere of an SPT Orange unit working a service to Whitehaven. Weird to think how units can get around sometimes.
SPT liveried units were regulars on the Newcastle-Stranraer turn.

The one ride I had on a Class 107 was the Glasgow connection out of the Highland Chieftain at Stirling.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Me thinks we need to create a 'PTE-liveried units in unusual locations/services'-themed thread soon. ;)

Oh yeah, Martin Loader has picture proof of that first one too (linked below).

And ofc Northern units have ended up in Glasgow more than once, but that is a tangent of a tangent. ;)

For some reason, it wasn’t that off the beaten path for the 107s though - whether they received maintenance at Haymarket and used them in a common pool with the 117s I don’t know, but they certainly had a few runs around the fife circle and into Edinburgh at least:

Looking at scot-rail's page on the 107s, after the fleet resumed operations in 1987 after the June 1986 grounding due to axle defects, some units were transferred to Eastfield, this was followed up by all the Strathclyde units moving there in July 1988 as Ayr depot lost it's entire DMU allocation; the remaining Blue/Grey sets went across to Haymarket.

In July 1991, the remaining 13 sets (in that timeframe, the whole class had been renumbered from 107 4xx to 107 7xx, then to 107 0xx to avoid clashing with new 156s & 158s respectively) were transferred to Haymarket after 156s took over services from Queen St to Dunblane/Falkirk Grahamston that same month; they were used primarily on peak-time Edinburgh - Fife services. They lasted just over a year after that however as 101s were transferred in to replace them in August 1992 (4 sets were left in service by then).

Finally, the 117s actually arrived after these 4 last 107s had been withdrawn (the first 4 in July 1993, the latter 3 in March 1994), the last of these sets being withdrawn 3 years into the National Express era (November 1999 to be precise).

SPT liveried units were regulars on the Newcastle-Stranraer turn.
Indeed they were, they were regulars on the entirety of the Glasgow South Western, far removed from the East Kilbride/Barrhead duties their livery would (in theory) confine them to (another Martin Loader photo linked below).

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Me thinks we need to create a 'PTE-liveried units in unusual locations/services'-themed thread soon. ;)

Oh yeah, Martin Loader has picture proof of that first one too (linked below).

And ofc Northern units have ended up in Glasgow more than once, but that is a tangent of a tangent. ;)

Looking at scot-rail's page on the 107s, after the fleet resumed operations in 1987 after the June 1986 grounding due to axle defects, some units were transferred to Eastfield, this was followed up by all the Strathclyde units moving there in July 1988 as Ayr depot lost it's entire DMU allocation; the remaining Blue/Grey sets went across to Haymarket.

In July 1991, the remaining 13 sets (in that timeframe, the whole class had been renumbered from 107 4xx to 107 7xx, then to 107 0xx to avoid clashing with new 156s & 158s respectively) were transferred to Haymarket after 156s took over services from Queen St to Dunblane/Falkirk Grahamston that same month; they were used primarily on peak-time Edinburgh - Fife services. They lasted just over a year after that however as 101s were transferred in to replace them in August 1992 (4 sets were left in service by then).

Finally, the 117s actually arrived after these 4 last 107s had been withdrawn (the first 4 in July 1993, the latter 3 in March 1994), the last of these sets being withdrawn 3 years into the National Express era (November 1999 to be precise).

Indeed they were, they were regulars on the entirety of the Glasgow South Western, far removed from the East Kilbride/Barrhead duties their livery would (in theory) confine them to (another Martin Loader photo linked below).

Feel free; it would be another good thread and should have plenty of contributions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.