Preseved Leicester buses destroyed in arson.

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by ChrisCooper, 23 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisCooper

ChrisCooper Established Member

Just heard that at least two preserved Leicester buses have been destroyed in an arson attack on the barn they were in. Definitly Leicester 16, LJF16F, Leyland PD3. Other is possibly 301, Metropolitain. Some others damaged, including possibly Bridgemaster that was featured in buses.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. robertclark125

robertclark125 Established Member

Even though I'm not a fan of half cab buses, this is a very sad bit of news, and also highlights the risks attached with preserving buses, and for that matter any motor vehicle. Some people, sorry dummies, seem to get a kick out of this. I hope that whoever is responsible for this destruction gets hauled over the coals, and can only hope the buses may be repaired.

4. ChrisCooper

5. BestWestern

BestWestern Established Member

Very sad news. Do we know for certain that this was an arson attack; unusual for local news reports not to mention this if it is suspected. The picture on the news page shows what I presume is the PD3 mentioned above, and sadly it will clearly not be repairable, what a sad loss of a splendid bus. Much sympathy to the owners and restorers :cry:

6. ChrisCooper

I'm not totally sure. The person I spoke to who whilst not an owner of either of the buses is heavily involved as a driver and has also put a lot of time into one of them did suggest it was arson, but at the time they were pretty shocked (as was I) so either could be wrong or I could have got the wrong end of the stick.

7. BestWestern

...Any further news on this sad story? Having read the item in Buses regarding the Bridgemaster, with restoration costs mentioned as being in excess of 100k, I sincerely hope this wasn't one of the victims. :(

8. Mvann

Mvann Member

I may find out more on Monday as I may see the owner of the single deck metro scania, who is a member of the Leicester historic transport group.

9. ChrisCooper

Latest I know is it was 102, a Dennis Dominator bought for spairs, that was the second victim. Whilst on the face of it it doesn't seem as bad, spair parts are very valuble and are a real loss. I know of at least 2 cases where loss of a vehicle kept for spairs had a detrimental effect on restoration and running of other vehicles. It does depend on what can be salvaged though.

10. BestWestern

Well as you rightly say, a source of spares is essential and the loss of it is sure to be a setback. But how very fortunate it wasn't a second historic vehicle :|

Thanks for the update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.