• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prestbury to Bognor Regis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Date of departure : Wednesday, 25th April 2012 (About 0800)

Date of return : Sunday, 29th April 2012 (About 0930)

Is it essential to have to go through London? What are the best options available, in any circumstances.

Passengers all hold Senior Citizen Railcards. Can you give prices, please.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
The following are all full price. You can take 34% off all amounts for your railcard.

You can certainly go via Reading instead of via London. If you were to catch the 08.14 from Prestbury, change at Stoke, Southampton and Barnham, the tickets below (per person) might work for you.

Advance tickets are available on the 09.14 and return on the Sunday for £91. You can't get a sensibly priced one on the 08.14. To be honest, with the flexible tickets costing just £4.50 more, I would buy them because you can change your mind, miss trains etc without penalty.

Standard Class
£95.50
Saves £251.50 (72.5%)

PRESTBURY to STAFFORD
ANYTIME R
Fare £15.40
Route ANY PERMITTED

STAFFORD to COVENTRY
OFF-PEAK R
Fare £14.50
Route ANY PERMITTED
Restriction (CS)

COVENTRY to BOGNOR REGIS
OFF-PEAK R
Fare £65.60
Route +ANY PERMITTED
Restriction (2C)

I was tempted to use Google to translate this to Cuneiform, but it doesn't seem to be an option.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Thanks for the information, which my wife will pass on to the three elderly women involved. The thought of making a cross-London connection has made two of them very nervous, hence the wording of my request.

You will realise that the last part of my forum signature is a "humerous" aside to the many postings on the forum which say "Sent from my "****" using Tapatalk".

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Obviously they must make sure they catch trains that call at Coventry rather than via Solihull.

You will realise that the last part of my forum signature is a "humerous" aside to the many postings on the forum which say "Sent from my "****" using Tapatalk".

Should have put a wink in.

sonic2009

Established Member
If your available to book the Stafford to Coventry fare online with London Midland, they have a sale on which will reduce the fare by 50%.

tony_mac

Established Member
There are some very cheap advance (i.e. £5) from Milton Keynes or Watford Junction to Bognor, changing at East Croydon.

It looks like Southern don't run to Milton Keynes on the Sunday, so I think it would need another change at Watford.

There are also cheap Advances from Prestbury to Milton Keynes, but only later in the day.
If travelling earlier, it would be possible to split tickets at Stoke to take advantage of Virgin's railcard easement.

MKD

Following on the idea of cheap trains from Milton Keynes (have got as low as £3.25 with Senior Railcard to nearby Chichester) - the really cheap fares are for a specific train booked in Advance BUT you can cover your bases to ensure you don't miss that train due to connection issues by pre-buying their Group DaySave fare which will enable a group of 4 to travel ANYWHERE on the Southern network for £24 (after 10am on weekdays). That could give a bit more flexibility too when travelling down - eg could stop slightly short at Arundel to look at Castle, or go slightly past to Chichester then doubleback to Bognor. An idea anyway. [As others have said - Southern don't go north of Watford on Sunday though!)
http://www.southernrailwaytickets.com/main.php?page_id=189

The Southern train's Mon-Sat northern terminus is Milton Keynes and they run hourly south and AROUND the western edge of Central London (ie via Kensington Olympia) down to Clapham Junction + a usually bit beyond - where you transfer to other Southern trains.

MKD

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
BUT you can cover your bases to ensure you don't miss that train due to connection issues by pre-buying their Group DaySave fare which will enable a group of 4 to travel ANYWHERE on the Southern network for £24 (after 10am on weekdays).

If you read my earlier posting, there are only three elderly women in the travelling group.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I would like to thank all of you for your help. I have spoken at length to the eldest son of one of the three women and he has promised to take on board what has been discussed on here and he will arrange for the booking of these rail tickets.

swj99

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what have they done to deserve to have to go to a place like Bognor anyway ? Having been to both places, I'm sure Prestbury is much nicer.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I hope you don't mind me asking, but what have they done to deserve to have to go to a place like Bognor anyway ? Having been to both places, I'm sure Prestbury is much nicer.

As I am led to believe, this journey is being made to enable them to attend the 90th birthday celebrations on Friday, 27th April at a special party in a hotel at Bognor Regis, of the eldest sister of two of the three women who are travelling. They wish to have a days rest after travelling there and a further days rest before returning home.

My wife and I will be at the Royal George Hotel in Bognor Regis in the last week of this month, but we will just be using this as a base whilst we visit Petworth House and other places of interest in West Sussex.

Status
Not open for further replies.