• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston’s tram plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

fv43576

I saw a article http://www.lep.co.uk/news/transport/preston-s-tram-plans-could-finally-get-the-go-ahead-1-8211951
A picture of tram behind man that I have never see it before, where is this tram was used in the past? the tram looks like in stored. Can someone tell me more about this tram.
Officers at Preston Council have recommended a pilot scheme in Deepdale for approval, after the latest application assured officers that the proposed line would not be available for public use.

The pilot line in Deepdale, if approved, will stretch less than a mile, and will be used only for training and “familiarisation with equipment”, as well as as a demonstrator to other authorities.

The plans would see the reinstatement of part of the former Preston to Longridge railway line, with leaders describing the future project as a “big benefit” for the city.

Professor Lewis Lesley of Trampower Ltd, the firm behind the plans, said: “We’ve worked very hard going through all the objections that had been raised. “We hope that what we’re planning to do will be a big benefit for Preston and the people of the city. “Of course we hope the planning committee will go along with what the officers said....
Officers at Preston Council have recommended a pilot scheme in Deepdale for approval, after the latest application assured officers that the proposed line would not be available for public use.

Read more at: http://www.lep.co.uk/news/transport/preston-s-tram-plans-could-finally-get-the-go-ahead-1-8211951

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
That's the Trampower tram which is, I believe, currently stored at Preston docks where it looks like that picture was taken. It was tested on the Blackpool Tramway before it caught fire in 2007, and spent some time in storage at Arriva buses' St Helens depot. The fire damaged half of the tram has been rebuilt with a more modern design of front end.

There's some information (and more photos) here:
http://www.britishtramsonline.co.uk/news/?p=7248
The Trampower tram hasn’t operated since it caught fire at the end of another day’s testing in Blackpool in 2007 and it has been undergoing a rebuild behind closed doors in the intervening years. The tram was transported in two parts and is now being stored in the open within the Preston Docks complex, still in two halves. Of interest is that although the tram has been rebuilt over the past seven years only one end has been treated with the other retaining the former profile and light clusters.
And plenty of detail on the Wikipedia article here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citytram

Last edited:

PR1Berske

Established Member
I live in Preston. I am completely against these plans.

Preston does not need trams. The proposed TramPower route is already served by buses. There is no room for expansion. There is no route possible to places not served by existing transport.

We do not need and cannot afford, this scheme. I have never supported such a project and can't support it now.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I live in Preston. I am completely against these plans.

Preston does not need trams. The proposed TramPower route is already served by buses. There is no room for expansion. There is no route possible to places not served by existing transport.

We do not need and cannot afford, this scheme. I have never supported such a project and can't support it now.

How would you propose solving Preston's appalling traffic congestion (which from what I've seen can considerably hold up some buses, making them quite unreliable)?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How would you propose solving Preston's appalling traffic congestion (which from what I've seen can considerably hold up some buses, making them quite unreliable)?

You're no more going to solve it with street-running trams than with buses. If you operate buses properly, using European-style well-designed bus lanes, you'll solve it. But you have to be willing to give the bus absolute priority regardless of the car traffic buildup.

Though I would like to see more regional tram systems in the UK.

BestWestern

Established Member
That's the Trampower tram which is, I believe, currently stored at Preston docks where it looks like that picture was taken. It was tested on the Blackpool Tramway before it caught fire in 2007, and spent some time in storage at Arriva buses' St Helens depot. The fire damaged half of the tram has been rebuilt with a more modern design of front end.

There's some information (and more photos) here:

And plenty of detail on the Wikipedia article here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citytram

It appears to have plans to conquer Portsmouth next, according to the destination screen!

I can't see the 'Trampower' element coming to anything, any local authority spending tens of millions building a tramway is highly unlikely to pee it all up the wall by kitting it out with that rubbish. The thing looks like a schoolboy's technology project. There's only one, isn't there? Though it does offer a choice of front end designs! You'd have more success heading up the road and using a fleet of Blackpool Balloons!

roversfan2001

Established Member
Preston just isn't a 'tram place'. It's well served by buses where there's demand for them. Granted it has it's traffic problems, but as trams run on the street they will just cause more issues for the people who aren't along the route of the tramline so have to drive anyway.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Preston Council has done everything it can to block Trampower, so much so its been reduced to a test track from an original application for a full passenger service.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Preston Council has done everything it can to block Trampower, so much so its been reduced to a test track from an original application for a full passenger service.

Not really surprising given the recent history of PrestonBus, with the blocking of the Stagecoach takeover by the competition authorities. They must have rightful concerns that the new(ish) owners can't make a go of it, and then Stagecoach would probably be unable/unwilling to step in.

Lankyline

Despite some of the negativity on here, Preston's traffic problems have existed for decades without any real resolution, getting in and out is a nightmare and successive councils have merely tinkered around the edges.
To say Preston is not a tram city is forgetting that there was once an extensive tram network running in the city.

Today there is still the possibility that trams have their place, there is still old infrastructure that can be used eg Longridge line ( where testing is to be carried out) this can access Deepdale, Ribbleton, Redscar, which covers football, residential and industrial areas, old east lancs line down to Lostock Hall covering the new residential growth.

These are just a few examples, the issue is having a "forward thinking" council which Preston council has failed to demonstrate so well over the years. I for one would love to see this succeed, Preston needs a better integrated transport plan and trams should be part of that plan

BestWestern

Established Member
It may well be that Preston could sustain trams, but it would surely need a coherent plan from a credible consortium for the authorities to give it serious consideration? Trampower doesn't really meet that mark; they have one tram and when they did manage to persuade somebody to test it, it burnt out.

BestWestern

Established Member
Weren't there plans put forward for a Pompey tram system a while ago including a tunnel to Gosport?

There were. Superseded by the 'Eclipse' busway, not least due to the realisation that a tunnel under the harbour was never going to happen! Busway runs Gosport to Fareham (in places).

Status
Not open for further replies.