• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston-Colne

Status
Not open for further replies.

callum112233

Has anyone got any idea what traction is used on the 14:22 Preston-Colne service today?
I was kind of hoping for a 158.

Thanks.
Callum.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Won't be that. Usually 142 or 150, I know there's at least one 150 on the four diagrams today.

Lampshade

Established Member
You could get a 158 to Burnley Manchester Road, walk to Central and use whatever turns up from there to Colne to minimise 142 time :D

bluenoxid

Established Member
Passed the green vinyl 150 at Colne around 1240. Time might be off. Today has been a busy day.

I remember visiting Blackpool around 1997 / 1998 and i took some pictures on Blackpool North station, and there is a pacer 142060 in platform 8 (or what ever the highest numbered platform is at Blackpool North) in GMPTE livery displaying Colne on the Destination Blind.

When did the Blackpool North - Colne services first start and what year did they stop, and when there was Blackpool North - Colne services operating was the Blackpool South service just a shuttle to and from Preston. I have got plenty of timetables from 1997 & 1998 but it doesnt show the Blackpool North - Colne service, only Blackpool South - Colne.

Im confused as i have also a video showing Pacers passing through layton station on Blackpool North - Colne services in 1997.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'll see if I can find one closer to 97 / 98, but my BR timetable from September 95-June 96 shows it as running from South-Colne hourly. Are you sure it was a regular service to Colne from North and not just a peak extra or similar?

WestCoast

Established Member
There's still an early morning service running from Blackpool North to Colne; the 04.56 off BPN.

The Blackpool South - Colne service is almost always a 142 or 150, although 156s have been known to make very occasional appearances.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
I remember visiting Blackpool around 1997 / 1998 and i took some pictures on Blackpool North station, and there is a pacer 142060 in platform 8 (or what ever the highest numbered platform is at Blackpool North) in GMPTE livery displaying Colne on the Destination Blind.

When did the Blackpool North - Colne services first start and what year did they stop, and when there was Blackpool North - Colne services operating was the Blackpool South service just a shuttle to and from Preston. I have got plenty of timetables from 1997 & 1998 but it doesnt show the Blackpool North - Colne service, only Blackpool South - Colne.

Im confused as i have also a video showing Pacers passing through layton station on Blackpool North - Colne services in 1997.

There could be a number of reasons a unit could be sat at Blackpool North displaying Colne but the most likely normally a demic has been taken out of traffic and returned to Blackpool North for attention.

There hasn't been a Blackpool North-Colne service for many years apart from the already mentioned 04:56 from Blackpool North. I will need to check but I'm sure it was around 1997 that the Blackpool South line was closed for around 4 weeks while it was relaid throughout with CWR replacing jointed rail. The trains that would normally run to Blackpool South may have been diverted to Blackpool North during that time.

156s are booked traction on Sundays.

Skipton is still a long way off becoming a reality.

WestCoast

Established Member
156s are booked traction on Sundays.

It's a bit different on Sundays, isn't it, because it's every two hours between Blackpool South and Colne, with every two hourly services running Blackpool South - Preston and separately Preston - Colne.

Someone else could probably explain that more clearly.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
I rarely use the service on a Sunday, which is probably why I haven't seen many 156s.

The Preston-Blackpool South might be booked a 142 come to think of it. In reality the norm is a 142,150 and 156 doing the honours.

EDIT: On a related note, Northern have released the new timetable which starts on 14 May 2012. This includes the introduction of request stops at Pleasington,Huncoat,Hapton and Burnley Barracks, the service pattern remains as now with the early trains to Colne running fast between Preston and Blackburn. Also noted a new Fridays only 23:50 Colne-Preston service is introduced.

http://www.northernrail.org/pdfs/timetables/20120514/9.pdf

Last edited:
Looking back on my railmiles on Sunday 4th March 12 i travelled on the 1344 Preston - Blackpool South, and 1427 Blackpool South - Preston service and it was formed of 156472, this unit was the shuttle service between Preston and Blackpool South that day.

The actual Colne - Blackpool South service that day was operated by a class 142.

driver9000

Established Member
It's a bit different on Sundays, isn't it, because it's every two hours between Blackpool South and Colne, with every two hourly services running Blackpool South - Preston and separately Preston - Colne.

Someone else could probably explain that more clearly.

Through service Colne-Blackpool South every 2 hours with an additional service between Preston & Blackpool South to create an hourly service to Blackpool South. The shuttle unit shunts out to Ribble Junction at Preston between trips. In the winter months when the Blackpool South line is closed on Sundays the Colne service units shunt and stable at Preston between trips.

I live in Nelson along the CNE-BPS line and get on the train pretty much every day and it is normally a 142. 150s do turn up regularly as do 156s and even 153s have been known to turn up. I know because i have been on a few before. Traction which normally turns up on a Sunday is a 156 but for the past few weeks it has been 150s. 142s can also turn up on a Sunday.
Hope This Helps

driver9000

Established Member
I expect the 04:56 runs from Blackpool North to Colne & not Blackpool South as the stock is already in Blackpool North sidings & it's cheaper than running an ECS to Blackpool South via Kirkham & Wesham?

The stock for the 05:42 and 06:42 departures from Blackpool South both run empty to Blackpool South from Blackpool North LMD reversing at Kirkham. The 04:56 provides an early departure from Blackpool North to Preston for early workers and feeds into the 05:33 London Euston at Preston.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.