• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston - Doncaster flexible returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
While searching for fares between the above points, I have stumbled across something bizarre here.

There is a fare for £21.65 (railcard) routed via Leeds (set by Northern), and a higher fare for £27.00 (railcard) that is routed via Sheffield (set by Transpennine Express). However, there is no Any Permitted fare which would be ideal as I am unsure which route I will be using on the return leg (the trip is Monday 26 August - I'll be gricing the left hand side of the triangle at Pyewipe Junction in Lincoln on the diversions, plus the crossover to and from Platform 3 at Newark Northgate and getting off the mark with the Azumas too).

Being as there is the lack of the Any Permitted fare, in this instance should if I have a change of mind and decide to travel via Sheffield on the outward and return via Leeds, would the "via Sheffield" fare be accepted to travel via Leeds being as it is a higher price?

Also, what exactly happened to the Any Permitted fares (if there ever were any)? Had this used to be the present day "Via Sheffield"?

Furthermore, if I have interpreted the procedure for change of route excess right, if I purchased the "via Leeds" fare and decided to return via Sheffield (having travelled via Leeds on the outward), would the excess be £2.65/£2.70 ((£27.00-£21.65)/2)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Change of route excess in one direction on a return ticket is half the difference to the appropriate fare (this may involve a change of ticket type).

So the best thing to do is to purchase the cheaper "via Leeds" fare and pay the excess in whichever direction(s) you wish to travel via Sheffield.

Status
Not open for further replies.