• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston - Liverpool permitted routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzyboson

If travelling from Preston (lancs) to Liverpool Lime St using an anytime day return, which says valid on any permitted route, is the following route valid. This route is sometimes given as an option in thetrainline/national rail, but I am wondering if I can get this route whenever. I would appreciate it if anyone who gives an answer could check the rail routing guide or confirm somehow.
The route is as follows:
Train from Liverpool Lime St to Warrington Central on an EMR train.
Walk from Warrington central to warrington bank quay.
Train from warrington Bank quay to Preston (lancs) on a virgin train.

Thanks a lot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
If you can get the itinerary from a journey planner, it is valid at any time.

Now: can someone who understands the system much better explain why NRE disallows the simple change at Bank Quay?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Edit: it's valid on map 'KW'

Trainsplit and Trainline both offer an itinerary on one ticket.

liv-pre.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Now: can someone who understands the system much better explain why NRE disallows the simple change at Bank Quay?
It's not a mapped route; once you reach Warrington you are only permitted to continue from Warrington Central via Widnes; you can't go "back" to the other route via Earlestown and St Helens Junction.

Veteran Member
It's not a mapped route; once you reach Warrington you are only permitted to continue from Warrington Central via Widnes; you can't go "back" to the other route via Earlestown and St Helens Junction.
Thanks. Though you can go as far as Huyton that way.
I can't imagine it being problematic in practice, but that's different.

JB_B

Established Member

Can you not transfer between routeing point group members using a walking-link?

KV [edit: sorry - KW] has links Liverpool GP- Hunts Cross GP - Warrington GP - Wigan GP - Preston which I think covers the OP's journey.

(None of these links include Earlestown or St Helen's junction)

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
Can you not transfer between routeing point group members using a walking-link?

KV has links Liverpool GP- Hunts Cross GP - Warrington GP - Wigan GP - Preston which I think covers the OP's journey.
You can use a walking link between two routeing points where one is defined (such as between New Cross and New Cross Gate in London). I don't think it's relevant here, though.

I don't know what you mean by KV here, as there isn't a map called this.

Preston-Liverpool allows the maps CP, KW and XV. None of these include both Warrington-Earlestown and Huyton-Liverpool, and both are needed for this journey. Advance tickets sometimes permit travel on an additional route, but I don't know if this is relevant here.

A Preston-Hooton ticket would be valid with a single change at Warrington Bank Quay, for what it's worth. WG+CP is a valid map combination for Preston-Hooton. WG includes Preston-Warrington-Earlestown and CP includes Earlestown-Huyton-Liverpool-Hooton.

JB_B

Established Member
I don't know what you mean by KV here, as there isn't a map called this.

Sorry - you're right - for KV read KW - typo!

Preston-Liverpool allows the maps CP, KW and XV. None of these include both Warrington-Earlestown and Huyton-Liverpool, and both are needed for this journey. Advance tickets sometimes permit travel on an additional route, but I don't know if this is relevant here.

I'm still missing something on this bit: AFICS the OP's intended journey doesn't go via Huyton, nor does it go via Earlestown.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm still missing something on this bit: AFICS the OP's intended journey doesn't go via Huyton, nor does it go via Earlestown.
You are quite right

The original question (which I answered) was regarding doing the walk across Warrington, which is valid.

The confusion is regarding a different route, which isn't valid, but wasn't part of the original question.

Hopefully that clarifies :)

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Though you can go as far as Huyton that way
Not on a Preston to Liverpool ticket, if you have already changed at Warrington. A mapped route is only permitted if you can trace the entire route on it.

buzzyboson

Thank you so much for the replies!
Just a couple more questions:
1 . Does it matter which service I get from Lime St to Warrington central (EMR/northern etc) on an anytime day return?
2. At Warrington central it does not allow me to scan out of the ticket barrier to walk to Warrington bank quay, can anyone explain this?
Thanks

Haywain

Veteran Member
1 . Does it matter which service I get from Lime St to Warrington central (EMR/northern etc) on an anytime day return?
Any train may be used, it doesn't matter which TOC operates it.
2. At Warrington central it does not allow me to scan out of the ticket barrier to walk to Warrington bank quay, can anyone explain this?
It is likely that the barriers are not programmed to recognise such a ticket as being valid there.

scrapy

Established Member
Slightly off topic from the OPs original question but still under the Preston to Liverpool permitted routes thread.

I'm sure that Preston to Liverpool used to be permitted (about 18 months ago) via Manchester, but I can't get NRE to give me an itinerary. Can anyone confirm whether that was the case (I may be imagining it)? and if so how recently it changed?

JB_B

Established Member
Slightly off topic from the OPs original question but still under the Preston to Liverpool permitted routes thread.

I'm sure that Preston to Liverpool used to be permitted (about 18 months ago) via Manchester, but I can't get NRE to give me an itinerary. Can anyone confirm whether that was the case (I may be imagining it)? and if so how recently it changed?

I had a quick look at 2018,2017 and 2014 - no validity via Manchester as far as I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.