• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston-London Any Permitted valid via Blackburn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
Please could someone confirm or otherwise my interpretation of the NRG?

I need to be in London for 11am on a weekday for which the 0758 PRE-EUS is the obvious choice, and with a Senior Railcard the Off Peak Return at £57.35 is unbeatable.

The return is in my own time and the next day, and I have used the NRG to establish that I have a wide choice of routes back (time restrictions permitting).

My home station is Blackburn, from which the VT Railcard easement does not apply, so I split at Preston.

Looking at maps BK, EP or RP it seems that Preston can be reached via Bolton-Blackburn.

Therefore, so long as I don't travel via Preston, I can use the return half of the SVR to finish short at Blackburn.

Am I right?

If so, I will see if the timetable works.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Preston (Lancs) is a Routeing Point

Yellow pages (page 1564) shows the mapped routes to be:
BK+GC CL+EJ DW+SY EP KN+GC NP+MM RP+RG.
BK+GC meet up at Birmingham Group, with BK showing a route via Bolton and Blackburn

This looks fine to me. Obviously you would need a seperate undiscounted ticket to get from Blackburn to Preston on the outbound journey.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If your journey back is actually off-peak, you may not need an actual split if it works better. You could purchase the through ticket and an additional Blackburn-Preston single, and just use the return half on the way back, if I understand correctly the discussion on another thread.

(BoJ, and therefore starting short at Preston, is permitted on that ticket)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If I understand you correctly Neil, that would not be valid on the outward as the Railcard easement would not apply to a Blackburn-London ticket.

How likely the Virgin guard will pick up on that is a different question.

Veteran Member
If your journey back is actually off-peak, you may not need an actual split if it works better. You could purchase the through ticket and an additional Blackburn-Preston single, and just use the return half on the way back, if I understand correctly the discussion on another thread.

(BoJ, and therefore starting short at Preston, is permitted on that ticket)

It would be off peak otherwise I would have to use VT on the way home which is boring.

And anyway, leaving aside the easement, BBN-EUS is more expensive than PRE-EUS anyway, if not by much.

kieron

Established Member
It would be off peak otherwise I would have to use VT on the way home which is boring.
You can go home via High Wycombe Oxford, Rugby or Sheffield with a London-Preston ticket, so there's plenty of choice. One thing you can't do is use the train via the Todmorden Curve from Manchester.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
If I understand you correctly Neil, that would not be valid on the outward as the Railcard easement would not apply to a Blackburn-London ticket.

How likely the Virgin guard will pick up on that is a different question.

We came to the conclusion that a Blackburn - London ticket is valid in conjunction with the railcard easement, so long as it is permitted to start short at Preston and travel from Preston to London exclusively on Virgin Trains.

There would be no requirement to buy a Blackburn - Preston and Preston - London ticket, but the easement would not apply to the Northern service.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
We came to the conclusion that a Blackburn - London ticket is valid in conjunction with the railcard easement, so long as it is permitted to start short at Preston and travel from Preston to London exclusively on Virgin Trains.

There would be no requirement to buy a Blackburn - Preston and Preston - London ticket, but the easement would not apply to the Northern service.

Did we?

In reality I suspect it would not matter as Virgin guards are probably only interested in the easement application on their own trains, but did we draw any conclusion?

I must have missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.