• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston-London Terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

I'm travelling to London on the 4th Jan, returning the next day. I need a morning journey to London and an evening on the return. 2 adults one child, family railcard. Will travel any way possible so long as its less than 3/4 hours and cheap.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dvboy

Established Member
Have you looked at any tickets yet yourself? Id imagine you can get Virgin advances.

I find it amazing that people come asking for fares advice for simple journey sometimes without doing any research first themselves. Normally id expect to see "this is what i've got but can anyone come up with anything cheaper?"

Sammy h

Doubt you would be able to beat the £124.10 SVR return (travel on any train, anytime) unless you could travel at the really early/late trains....

kieron

Established Member
I don't know how early or late you'd like to be on either day, but one option is:

Advance tickets from Preston-Stafford and from Stafford-Euston for £77.25 total. This could involve:

From Preston, catch VT 06:16 to Birmingham
From Crewe, catch VT 07:17 to London Euston
From Stafford, catch LM 07:39 to London Euston
Arrive 09:37

and, on the way back:

From London Euston, catch LM 1746 to Crewe
From Crewe, catch VT 2009 to Preston
Arrive 20:59

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm travelling to London on the 4th Jan, returning the next day. I need a morning journey to London and an evening on the return. 2 adults one child, family railcard. Will travel any way possible so long as its less than 3/4 hours and cheap.
What have you found so far?

For travel in the morning peak I don't see how you can practically get it any cheaper than to buy Family Railcard discounted Off Peak Returns from Preston to London.

VTPreston_Tez

What have you found so far?

For travel in the morning peak I don't see how you can practically get it any cheaper than to buy Family Railcard discounted Off Peak Returns from Preston to London.

£42 Preston to London Victoria by Megabus is the best I've found.
Honestly the prices are extortionate so the trip is good as cancelled, going other times instead

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Honestly the prices are extortionate so the trip is good as cancelled, going other times instead

You have only given two weeks' notice therefore I am not surprised that the cheapest fares are gone. It is a busy route.

I wouldn't call £124 for two adults and one child extortionate, especially given that you could use morning peak services. That is £50 per adult.

All Line Rover

Established Member
£124.10 return is not extortionate in the slightest. An Anytime Return for just one adult costs £319!

If you are not happy with the (very reasonable) VT peak fares for Railcard holders, simply book in advance and travel on a Saturday.

cjp

Every week I hear that this or that is EXTORTIONATE when it it is nothing of the sort.
Force is not involved, illegalities are not involve.

What is usually meant is "It costs more than I expected . Why does it cost so much? I don't want to pay so much - can you do me deal?;)"

I do hear this from poor people who might be struggling but I also hear it from people with pots of money who hate paying for services they could afford.

It does annoy me. I have not any desire to waste part of my lifetime explaining to people the facts of life<(
Let them write to the bean counters who care about such things.

They are the same people who will equate human error or a mistake to gross negligence.

They know their rights etc etc .

Sorry guys rant over.:oops:

It has been a bad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.